Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Bird is the word

Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, The Swimming Hour arrived today. It's yummy! I'm only on my first listen, so I don't know if it'll be as yummy as all those eggs that I've been consuming, but it's definately a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, The Swimming Hour arrived today. It's yummy! I'm only on my first listen, so I don't know if it'll be as yummy as all those eggs that I've been consuming, but it's definately a keeper.
    Its like picking your favourite child, isn't it, FA?

I like Eggs right now because its new, but I think in time The Swimming Hour will come out on top. I must have listened to it a thousand times and I'm still not sick of it.

Snowie

BTW, Autumnul. I know as a good Canadian you will want to use the "British" spelling of the word definitely. We should leave check and color and definately to the 'mercians.

If you blink once you're a goner ... Everything just goes pell-mell

Yeah, that'll be a nice one that hopefully keeps growing for you. It sure did for a lot of us around here a few years ago when it snuck out with hardly any fanfare. Actually, zero fanfare. He was in a swing band called the Squirrel Nut Zippers that was kind of fun, and I have one of their LPs, but it's nothing like he went on to do on his own. I remember reading a little thing at the time, can't remember where now, but just some little interview thing where he was talking about how he felt out of touch with current music and so picked up a few things like the Flaming Lips "Soft Bulletin" and was knocked out, and it kind of knocked his music into a different direction, onto a more modern and eclectic plane. Sounded pretty cool to me so I read the blurb on the album at Ryko and found the CD at Best Buy, of all places. I remember it being hard to find at the time because Stoney was looking for it too. And so I did a comp back in the middle of 2001 called Half Gone and included the "Case In Point" song and most people who heard it were flipped. Great song. Very inventive. And then we soon thereafter did a group comp called Rave Recs Discoveries that our old buddy PwrPopGuy put together based on songs people discovered on Rave Recs comps that they really liked. And the "Case In Point" song was one of them so that turned a few more onto the joys of Bird. Great idea that turned into a pretty nice comp by the way, although if you follow the link and look at the tracklist credits, you'll notice that it was unfortunately a little over-represented by one of the popular indie hooligans around here.

But anyway, that's your Rave Recs history of the Bird lesson for today

And for another word of the Bird from Snowbuns --> http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EEB5D5B.php

I just spun this for the first time ina while, and it is very, very good, but for me, the song constructs pale in comparison to Eggs.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

I have the Swimming Hour

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Someone sent me a CD-R copy of it when I was doing my 50's-esque comp a few years back (I used the song Dear Old Greenland). But yeah, its a great album. I love the song Core and Rind. Clever stuff.

And here I was, thinking we were FINALLY gonna have a Trashmen thread . . .

I've had 2 Andy Bird flaming bowel discs thru my hands and was terribly bored by both of them. Is this new one more of the same?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    And here I was, thinking we were FINALLY gonna have a Trashmen thread . . .

I've had 2 Andy Bird flaming bowel discs thru my hands and was terribly bored by both of them. Is this new one more of the same?
    Actually, it's an old one...2001. Just new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Yea, if you were bored by earlier ones, the mysterious production of eggs would likely have the same effect. Not all that much different - still brilliant as always

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    And here I was, thinking we finally were having a thread about Charlie Parker.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information