Forum Regular

Kenwood Sovereign VR 5700 won't turn on?

I bought this receiver a while back to replace a pioneer that had failed, mainly because it would turn off after being on for a second or two. The kenwood has really been amazing for me, and today, I was listening to some music from my computer, and the thing turned off. I turned it back on, and then a few minutes later it went off again. It won't stay on for more than half a sec before it turns off and blinks standby. I unplugged everything from the back and the same thing happens. I did pick up some Jamo surrounds and center a week ago, but I don't think they could be the cause.

Utmostjamin1
    is your electrical outlet wired correcty? try plugging it in somewhere else on a different circuit and see if it still does it.
    if you had the same problem with 2 different receivers id suspect the wiring in the house might be goofed up. also check your speaker wires for correct polarity and make sure there isnt a short, also try unhooking the speaker wires and see if it does it.
    Klipsch RF-7 fronts
    Klipsch RC-7 center
    Klipsch RS-7 surrounds
    Velodyne DD-15 Subwoofer
    Integra DTC 9.8 Preamp Processor
    ROTELRMB 1095 Multichannel amplifier
    Oppo DV-980 H
    Samsung BDP 1500
    Sony 80 GB Playstation 3
    Sony Bravia XBR 46" LCD HD-TV

Forum Regular
    I double checked the speaker wires and then tested again-nothing, so then i unplugged everything and it still didnt work. Took it downstairs to try it out, same problem.

Forum Regular
    This sounds kind of strange, both had the same problem

Were both receivers hooked up to the computer?
    Were you using the same main speakers on both systems? What kind of speakers?
    What else did both receivers have in common?
    How long did the Kenwood run right before trouble started? Did it ever run hot, did fans ever stay on all the time?
    When setting up your surround sound, did everything seem normal ( DB SETTING )?
    At low volumes, did any speaker ever play lower than the others or cut off completely?
    When this happened, did anything else on the power supply line cut off or go dim?

I have the VR 2090, it had a problem almost the same as yours. I hooked up an ext. amp to the center channel pre-output jack and something blew inside? It would go into protection mode when I tried to power it up. I had to send it in for repair.
    I hope your is still O.K. Good Luck

Forum Regular
    Both recievers were hooked up via an optical cable. Same main speakers, fluance floor speakers. The kenwood worked since august, and not aproblem till now. THe thing never got hot, and all the speakers were at the same level.

Forum Regular
    If it worked for four months, it is unlikely that the 2 receivers had anything in common that would shut down both units. If you are sure that your AC power is OK, nothing else in your home acts up, then it is properly just bad luck. I would get more input on this problem before I had it repaired and put back in the same system. If you have it repaired, try to get as much information as you can on the bad part, see what it was attached to, this may help you track down a problem if one exists.
    Good Luck

Thread Information