Forum Regular

Bipolar surround speaker recommendation

I am looking to upgrade my surround speakers to a bipolar design. I would like something very efficient and on the small side since I will be wall mounting them. I don't want to spend a fortune but have a somewhat open price range. The use is almost exclusively for movies, and an occasional music DVD.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Utmostjamin1
    well, it would help if we knew what your mains and center were and or an equipment list.

Forum Regular
    my mains are wharfedale emerald 97 tower speakers with matching center channel. The sound for those unfamiliar is on the warm side.

the reason I didn't bother posting that information is that I am not especially concerned about matching the surrounds to the front. Since the surrounds are essentially for home theater only, it makes very little difference in my opinion. I would prefer to stay away from anything too "bright" to match as close as possible, but like I said it is a minor concern.

Forum Regular
    anyone?

someone must have an opinion. Something they like, something that sucks...

Kam
    Carefull with bipolar speakers. They can be extremely aggressive, intrusive, irritable, have increased energy, and be very provocative in one listening session, and then you turn around and all of a sudden they're slowed down, sad, very low, and extreme decrease in energy.

On the flip side... might want to check out Mirage. I haven't heard their surrounds, but i've heard their older line of speakers, the M and Msi series, if you can find the older bookshelf bipoles of theirs, its worth a listen too, look for the 90is or the 190is line is based on their M1si, which is a great speaker imo.

peace
    k2

btw, while not all people are comfy with it, i always come across a bunch of the mirage 90is and 190is on ebay and audiogon, and, in fact, there is a pair of 90is for 10.50 right now on ebay if you can audition them in the next 8 hours and want to pick em up for cheap!
    Last edited by Kam; 12-08-2005 at 11:06 AM.
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by zepman1
    anyone?

someone must have an opinion. Something they like, something that sucks...
    I would suggest that you go out and audition some speakers. I'm using Energy C-R1's. I like em alot, but you might not. I perfer to stick to with same line all the way around. Anyways, I would take some stuff home, give it a try and take advantage of that return policy.

Forum Regular

bipole's

Paradigm studio ADP-470's sound nice (to me). A friend of mine owns a pair, and likes them, i find they sound nice, but im not that particular on bipoles. They are fairly easy to mount as well. Check them out among other makes and models before you make a decision.

Thread Information