Forum Regular

headphones, what do you use?

finally went out and got a set of panasonic rpht722s phones and am quite impressed. they have a surround feature on the left ear and also a volume control just above it. the surround option is interesting. i know there not sennheisers but hopefully in the near future.
    what are you guys using?

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD595's in the office attached to a Headroom Amp/DAC combo (awesome combo, but pricey)

At home I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD497 that I use at the computer, watching TV at night, etc. They're not as detailed and sophisticated as the 595's but they're still really good, I like them a lot.

Sennheiser PX200 for iPod listening. Foldable and compact. Nice warm detailed sound.

Phones offer a wide variety of sonic environments for a meager outlay when compared to speakers.

For home use I flip between Sennheiser 580 when I want a "smooth" sound and Grado SR-80's when I want a more forward prespective.

For travel andthe gym I use a pair of RatShack Nove 35 (or KossPorta Pros, same thing) but, for travel I'm considering replacing these with a pair of Sennheiser 280's. I'd still use the Nova 35's for the gym.

When I'm feeling nostalgic for the "good old days" I slip into a pair of Koss Pro 4-AA I've had since the beginning of time. ...the nostalgia doesn't last too long.

Forum Regular
    Sennheiser HD600's, I run them just out of an Onkyo HT Receiver and would like to try a dedicated headphone amp, however they are a bit spendy.
    markw
    I tried some SR-80's in a shop and they were crystal clear! The bass extension kind of got me though, I would love to someday listen to some RS1's.

Edit:
    Oh yeah and for portable listening I use some sony earbuds, forget the model, they are the ones that run for about 40 bucks and the isolation is pretty good as is the sound.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    For music and home theater use I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-590. Just ordered a Musical Fidelty X-Can headphone amp as my Christmas present from my wife.

Also have a pair of Sennheiser RS-6 cordless phones for when I'm moving around the house or in the yard.

Have a pair of Shure E2c that I use with the portable CD player at work.

I use the Grado SR60. At $60, it offers up high end sound quality at a lower midlevel price. One of the best bargains I've encountered in audio. I'm not really big on headphones that offer up these simulated surround effects or boosted bass.

The Collector
    Sony 7509's are my headphone of choice

Old school....

Sennheiser 580's are what I use but not for music. Mostly for gams at night so I don't disturb the family. They are great for music too though...

Da Worsfter

Grado SR-125s work well for me.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Suspended
    HD600's driven by the Musical Fidelity X-can. I also have some HD590's I use in the bedroom with an Onkyo receiver.

Forum Regular
    What are the benefits of having a seperate headphone amp?

Another nod to the Grado SR-125. I will say that they don't run all that great on a portable device without something like a cmoy amp driving them.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD 555's a couple of weeks ago. I haven't used them for music yet, but I was quit impressed with their sound for HT.

several possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by teledynepost
    What are the benefits of having a seperate headphone amp?
    1) Some receivers/integrated amps may skimp on the headphone output stages by pulling the signal from before the power amp stages and running them through the cheapest op amps they can find.

2) Likewise, some receivers/integrated amps may pad down the output stages through someresistors but still have some slight "sonic defifiencies" that are masked by speakers in the room environment but may be more noticable when using headphones. i,.e. noise, hum, etc...

3) Some portables might have the affliction stated in # 1.

4) Some headphone outputs might not be sufficiently powerful to drive some of the higher impedance headphones.

5) None of the above

6) All of the above, including # 5.

I have Sennheiser HD 580 and Grado SR225 that I use for music and late night movies. I use a Headamp Gilmore Lite as my dedicated headphone amp and it sounds very nice . The "Lite" is good for both low and high impedance cans. Learn more about all things headfi at www.head-fi.org
    Last edited by gimmieshelter31; 12-11-2005 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Suspended
    GimmieShelter, I'm not meaning to start up another war that's raged here from time to time, but as some one who owns both Senn's and Grado, which do you prefer and why?

Both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    GimmieShelter, I'm not meaning to start up another war that's raged here from time to time, but as some one who owns both Senn's and Grado, which do you prefer and why?
    See post 4 in this thread for more info.

It's not like I'm marrying them. Monogany is not a requirement.

In response to Mr. Peabody, I personally find myself listening to the Senns more often as I find the soundstage and smoother (IMO) presentation less fatiguing for prolonged listening.I also find them more comfy. There is no denying the Grado's give a more exciting effect to electric guitar which was never more evident to me than when listening to The Rolling Stones - Love you Live cd. The guitar work on the song Fingerprint File particularly . I am not good with audiophile terms to explain the difference between the Senns and Grados .
    I enjoy the Senns more for acoustic music and lighter rock such as CSN&Y,Steely Dan and such and the Grados for electric.Though IMO the Senns are an excellant all arounder and the build Quality is far superior.
    IMHO I do not think there is a better bang for the buck set of cans than the Sennheiser HD 580 which can be found for $150 and less with some searching.

Thread Information