Thread: Receiver

AR Newbie Registered Member

Receiver

I would like to buy a receiver to replace my old one. Somebody could give me a suggest which one is better for classic music:
    Denon AVR 3805
    Onkyo TX SR702.
    I have Bose 701speakers

Thank you in advance for your helps.

Forum Regular
    I prefer the sound of Onkyo. I am sure either one would sound fine. Peace.
    Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Do you have only two speakers?

The reason I ask is that they are not your common HT speakers. If so, then you might want to consider two channel units instead of these multi-channel HT units.

BTW, I have no complaints about my Denon 2802 but, as the other guy said, either should please.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Just for clarification...

Quote Originally Posted by johnli08540
    I would like to buy a receiver to replace my old one. Somebody could give me a suggest which one is better for classic music:
    Denon AVR 3805
    Onkyo TX SR702.
    I have Bose 701speakers

...why HT models to listen to classical music? Both mfrs. have simple stereo rec's and unfortunately the Onkyo model you've listed doesn't seem to be in their current line-up so a direct comparison, while not impossible, will require some investigation.

Denon and Onkyo make decent stuff so either supplier would be a good choice, it really depends on the "bells and whistles" you require and your budget. Yamaha gear is routinely given a thumbs up by some, as is HK.

jimHJJ(...good luck...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by johnli08540
    Denon AVR 3805
    Onkyo TX SR702.
    I have Bose 701speakers

You don't say what receiver you have now, or what the difficulty is with it. However, if your goal is to enjoy classical music, you need a speaker upgrade more than you need a new receiver. That is, unless your receiver is broken. Your receiver budget would buy a nice pair of speakers. Energy recently brought out the Ref-Con line which looks good, and seems to sound pretty good too, although I haven't paid much attention to the floorstanders, the bookshelf model is incredibly good. There are 100 other speaker lines out there that would be a significant improvement, and give you more bang for your buck.

JMHO, when you want an upgrade, think speakers first, they make the largest difference per dollar of any other component.

Space
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Music & movie addict
    Best thing to do is try each one and let your ears decide.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    You could save some money and get the 2805. I dont think you'll hear any difference with either Denon with those Bose. Like Space said,what receiver do you now have? Might be speakers are the way do go.
    Look & Listen

Thread Information