Calibrating my speakers was time well spent!!!

I have posted a couple of times recently about replacing my floor standing speakers with some smaller ones I could mount on the wall. I haven't heard my setup for about three months due to having everything disconnected and piled up on the couch due to hurricane Katrina.

After auditioning several speakers I went home and hooked up just the front so I could listen to a few Cd's and the sound was very impressive. After hooking up the rest of the speakers I put on a DVD and set back and listened again. Wasn't so impressed this time.

I posted about my problem and the reply was to calibrate my speakers. I checked and after the period of time that my system had been unhooked the receiver remembered the distance setting but had reset the sound levels back to everything being equal. I got a new battery for my Radio Shack SPL meter and went to work on calibrating my speakers. After I was finished I sat back down and listened again and was pleasantly surprised what a little attention to the small details can really make.

The end result is I am a happy camper again and my surround sound is back to it's old great sound again. Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions to my earlier post. It was time well spent!
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Good to hear Paw. Glad your listening enjoyment has returned.

What DVD is first?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Got any suggestions? I'm looking for something that will have sound coming from everywhere not just the front and rear. I am going to try out a new digital camera tomorrow and will pick it up and give it a listen.
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Got any suggestions? I'm looking for something that will have sound coming from everywhere not just the front and rear. I am going to try out a new digital camera tomorrow and will pick it up and give it a listen.
    Here's a short list:

Twister
    Jurasic Park 1 & 3
    The 5th Element
    Star Wars (pick one)
    Matrix
    Independance Day
    Finding Nemo
    The Lion King
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

If your DVD player can play DVD-audio, you may wish to pick up a music title that suits your taste. some of those DVD-As can create quite a sound field.

Except for The Fifth Element I believe I own the rest of your list so I should be good to go. As far as the DVD audio I have no idea if it will play on my player but I will be looking for a new player shortly anyway.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond to my post. Jeff

3db
    Forum Regular

My DVD collection is growing leaps ands bounds

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Good to hear Paw. Glad your listening enjoyment has returned.

What DVD is first?

but I always keep going back to these DVD to show off my system

U571
    Master & Commander
    Star Wars (pick one) Sorry I borrowed that from you GMichael

Others sound good but these three always make my reference list

Glad to hear you're back up to speed Grandpaw. I love Master & Commander as a demo dvd. Not only is it a terrific movie, but the surround effects are really cool and happen right at the beginning of the movie. When you are in the hull of the ship, you can hear wood creaking, water churning, chains rattling...the whole shebang all around you. It's very enveloping. Check it out.

3db
    Forum Regular

I get feeling claustrophobic with U571

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Glad to hear you're back up to speed Grandpaw. I love Master & Commander as a demo dvd. Not only is it a terrific movie, but the surround effects are really cool and happen right at the beginning of the movie. When you are in the hull of the ship, you can hear wood creaking, water churning, chains rattling...the whole shebang all around you. It's very enveloping. Check it out.
    The rivots popping, the hull groaning and echoing all around you .. * hivers*

Thread Information