Room- 14 ft WD x 14 ft. LG x 10 Ft. HT
    Equipment:
    Yamaha YST-SW 215 sub woofer
    Denon AVR 485S Receiver
    Choices to audition:
    1. Boston Acoustics - CR 55 Beech
    2. Phase Technology - Teatro 4.5
    3.Athena AS-B1
    Listening to: Jazz, reggae, Zydeco, Blues, Classic and Lite rock, R&B, Urban Contemporary

Thanks for your recommendations- Refurb and used is ok

Forum Regular
    Out of the three that you have listed, I would vote for the Athena AS-B1. Keep in mind that Athena is made by the same company as Energy and Mirage, both very reputable speaker companies. I have heard the Athenas and for the price, think they are a very nice speaker.

Forum Regular
    Brulee,

The Athena AS-B1 is a fantastic monitor that is very easy to access and is available through a number of retailors throughout the country. It's sound is very respectable for its price, especially with current close out prices of $99/pair.

Phase Technology Teatro's are also an incredible choice and should have the mid-range edge over the Athena's, with everything else being fairly tight.

Two suggestions I would make would be;

Polk Audio's RTi-4. If you can happen across a pair for $150 or under, this is certainly a speaker that will prove difficult to beat. It's small, efficient, incredibly dynamic with detailed highs and reasonable extension from a small package.

My last suggestion is another Polk - but this one is a vintage product.

The Polk Audio Monitor 5 JR. This speaker means serious business and is perfectly at home when paired with multi-thousand dollar electronics. This monitor will defeat the above listed pretty easily, and in every respect. The only caveat? Well, you have to find a pair first (thankfully they do appear on ebay every now and then). Second, well, you just have to open your mind to vintage. Don't worry, the drivers are rubber -- no need to re-foam.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Buy a ten year old speaker that was about $800.00 or so -- that is also good. $150.00 new for two channel music is a no hoper if you're picky. If not then my favorite in this price range is the Paradigm Atom

Forum Regular
    Hi Brulee. I just did some checking on E-Bay. There are several options for you if you decide to go the used route. I saw several speakers from Energy & Mirage in your price range. I have not heard the Energy line, but they do seem to be pretty popular. I have had experience with Mirage. I had (and still have) a pair of Mirage M-290's. They are a great speaker IMO. There is a distinct possibility that what you buy used for $150 may very well stomp a new $150 set of speakers. Good luck.

-Mark

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    For $150 you could build a speaker kit that would compete with speakers 3 or 4 times the cost.
    I've heard the BR-1 kit from Parts Express a few times now, I'd easily put it up against the $400 Paradigm Mini-Monitors. Just under budget too.

I lived with Paradigm Atoms and a Sony 555ES receiver for a little over one month until i had the finances in the US to buy my big Maggie/Krell system and i have to admit that it was not all that bad. The build quality is nothing special and the sound is not something to write home about either but from a cute little speaker like the Paradigm Atom it was quite good especially compared to those new Mini Infinitys. But i would personally either build a speaker kit or look for old used speakers.

-Florian
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    I found a pair of used AR-28B Speakers, refoamed woofer, solid wood enclosures, clear and tight, good bass without sub.

Final system configuration:
    Denon AVR-485S 6.1 Digital Dolby Receiver
    Sony SCD=CE 595 5 disc Changer
    Philips CDR-770 CD Recorder
    Yamaha YST- SW 215 8" Subwoofer
    AR-28B Speakers

Thread Information