music fanatic

My first ribbon experience!

Okay so they aren't planars, but they have ribbon tweeters. Does that count?

I picked up a pair of Samson R6a active monitors to use as computer speakers. The R6a's are front ported with 6" LF driver and a 2" ribbon HF driver. They aren't the be-all, end-all in any way, but they are darn nice for the $430 I paid for them. I can't make any broad based claims comparing the ribbon tweeters to standard designs, but I was impressed by the amount of HF detail and complete absense of ear fatigue. I'll admit that part of my decision to buy these was that I wanted something a little 'different'. These probably aren't the best studio monitors in their class (for reasons unrelated to the ribbon), but I bought them for listening, not mixing. The only real sonic drawback to the R6a's is a slight boominess in the low end, something I can live with since they have a little more warmth than your average monitor.

It's really impressive what one can get for the money in an entry level active studio monitor. I wish I would have known about these in college. They would have made a great, inexpensive dorm room sound system.

Oh yeah, and they're neat looking!

Quote Originally Posted by bacchanal
    Okay so they aren't planars, but they have ribbon tweeters. Does that count?

I picked up a pair of Samson R6a active monitors to use as computer speakers. The R6a's are front ported with 6" LF driver and a 2" ribbon HF driver. They aren't the be-all, end-all in any way, but they are darn nice for the $430 I paid for them. I can't make any broad based claims comparing the ribbon tweeters to standard designs, but I was impressed by the amount of HF detail and complete absense of ear fatigue. I'll admit that part of my decision to buy these was that I wanted something a little 'different'. These probably aren't the best studio monitors in their class (for reasons unrelated to the ribbon), but I bought them for listening, not mixing. The only real sonic drawback to the R6a's is a slight boominess in the low end, something I can live with since they have a little more warmth than your average monitor.

It's really impressive what one can get for the money in an entry level active studio monitor. I wish I would have known about these in college. They would have made a great, inexpensive dorm room sound system.

Oh yeah, and they're neat looking!
    Nice looking speakers. It's good to have something nice to enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Gratulations on your first ribbon. :-)
    What are the next plans?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

music fanatic
    Well, I'm going to pick some mo-pads up tonight. That should help the low end behave a little better.

I'd really like to try some maggies now, my Studio40s are so plain jane (no really, i love them)! I've heard maggies in stores, but it just isn't the same as listening at home. Maybe when my dog gets out of his puppy stage

Thread Information