Cool Cats like music?

OK, the story goes like this. My wife's birthday is coming up. Me being a nice guy (cough) I decided to bake her a cake today while she's at work. Can't do this without music right? I mean really. So I push "the" button. You know "the" button. It's the one that turns everything on so that life can begin. On comes the CD-R. It's hard drive has about 115 CD's in memory and it's set up to just keep playing one after the other. This morning it's the Cars turn to play. I turn it up a little so I can hear it (feel it) in the kitchen. I start mixing and baking. After a few minutes I go out to turn it down a bit. (-5db can be a bit much sometimes) What do I find? Not one, but both cats sitting right in the sweet spot, listening to the music. I've never seen them look so happy. What's up with that? So I left the volume where it was and went back to baking.

Cool cats. I'll have to get them some sun-glasses today.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Mutant from table 9
    Okay, no foolin'. My cat, Nolte, loves music. Most nights when I get home from the office we "Rock Out" as I call it. My other cat, Tiger, could care less. But Nolte, she love a good Rock Out. In fact, we rocked out just about an hour ago. We sit on the floor between the towers, she rolls around, pulls her tail up between her legs, she circles me and head butts into my legs. She will hear me turn on the stereo and come running down stairs. It has to be fairly loud for her to get going too, about 95db is where she likes it. I measured with my SPL meter. 85-90 and she gets board. But crank it a little and she goes wild.

Coincidentally, she loves the Cars. She absolutely prefers some bands over others. Swear to god. She loves techno pop. It is the damndest thing I've ever seen.

My cat will stay right with me when the music is going, no matter how loud it is. However, once I break out the bass guitar she hauls arse like the world is on fire. Not sure if that's criticism about my playing, or if the sound scares her. I'm sure the sound scares her

OK, so I'm not crazy then. Well, not as crazy as I thought anyhow.

NAb. Your cat's a critic huh?
    Last edited by GMichael; 11-12-2005 at 09:12 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Out of our three we have one that is into it, the other two really like watching high def
    especially when discovery has a underwater show on.

Linear Guy

they both like jazz

lassie the cat just likes to do the typical cat pose in front of the speakers. She is 20 so she doe a lot of vegging. Zuzu does this break dance thing by laying on her side and slowly rotating about the floor. They like jazz vocal.

nightflier

Well this is a pleasant segue...

One of our cats, Pippin (we called him that 'cause he gets himself into all kinds of messes), likes to watch TV. Doesn't matter how loud it is, either. And it's not like Pippin just sits there passively (like our other cat who couldn't care if a mouse sat on its face), he actually follows the action with his head. Funniest thing is when when there are birds chirping, or something similar, and he'll start following the surround sound around the room. With surround music he's a little discombobulated too, but not like when we're watching movies.

Haven't tried music at a certain volume level, though. I wonder if there is something about that 95dB point and a cat's hearing. Any vets out there have any ideas?

Thread Information