Anyone else see The Killers/Spoon on ACL last night?

Not a Killers fan but I have to admit they were pretty good live. Spoon were great as well (as expected) and even had M. Ward join them for a couple of songs. I only wish they gave the full hour to Spoon. ACL has been releasing some DVDs so perhaps we'll be able to get the full performance that way, eventually.

Been listening to Eleventh Dream Day - Beet a lot lately. I don't quite know how I went sixteen years without hearing this album. Better late than never I suppose. Did these guys ever have any mainstream success and I just wasn't paying attention?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

42 Regular
    1. I don't mind The Killers at all. Poppish, but still pretty cool. And their Live8 performance was darned good, I thought.

2. I'm really digging the latest Spoon, and I wish I'd seen this.

3. What is ACL, besides an abbreviation for 'anterior cruciate ligament'?

4. 11DD is legendary around the Chicago area as the band that should have received the success and accolades that the Pumpkins, Urge Overkill and Liz Phair enjoyed. "Should" being the operative word.

5. Happy Friday!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I thought ACL (that's Austin City Limits) was on Saturdays. They show it on Thursdays in your area, Slosh?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I thought ACL (that's Austin City Limits) was on Saturdays. They show it on Thursdays in your area, Slosh?
    They (sometimes) show it on Thursdays in standard definition but in HD on Saturdays. My TV has the HD tuner built in but no video output. I see that Radio Shack has an outboard OTA/8VSB-cable HD tuner for only $90 and besides HDMI and component video, it also has composite and s-video outs that are always on regardless of what resolution is being received so you can record HD to a VCR or DVD recorder (S-VHS in my case) at standard 480i resolution, of course. For $90 I might pick one up today if any of my local Rat Shacks have one in stock.

NP: Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures
    Last edited by Slosh; 11-04-2005 at 07:49 AM.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    What is ACL, besides an abbreviation for 'anterior cruciate ligament'?
    http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/tvschedule/

42 Regular
    D'oh!!! My thinking cap is not on tight enough this morning.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

No, but better yet....

No, but I saw Spoon this past Tuesday night, in Toronto.

What a great show!

These guys know how to rock and roll. At times, they were very Beatlesque in their sound and at others they were very Townsend-like in their approach to their electric guitars.

My wife, who normally doesn't get into the indie music, absolutely loved it.

I'll be back to see them again, when they're in town - no doubt.

Thanks for the headzup on the ACL show.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Been listening to Eleventh Dream Day - Beet a lot lately. I don't quite know how I went sixteen years without hearing this album. Better late than never I suppose. Did these guys ever have any mainstream success and I just wasn't paying attention?
    Wow, gotta make sure I catch that Spoon show this weekend. What a great band!

Made a Eleventh Dream Day post awhile back someplace else that went like this ...

Beet. Great stuff for fans of that Crazy Velvet Horse Underground sound. Man, it's a shame one of the best Chicago bands of the last 15 years is so unknown. Just did a search and only a few posts by the usual suspects. But here's one for a personal top 20.

Just listening to Beet myself from 1989 and these guys were great, and still are. Very nice mix of Neil Young and Television and Lou Reed and maybe a bit of Sonic Youth. Not sure which one I would call their best. Rick Rizzo learned well from the Neil Young songbook, and Doug McCombs on bass (also of Tortoise) and Janet Beveridge Bean on drums (also of Freakwater). Being late to the party in about 1999, the first one I got was Eighth...and I loved it immediately. And then they released a new one in 2000 called Stalled Parade that easily became one of my favorites of the year. Wow, what a great, raw, sloppy, turmoil filled album! Can't think of any other album in recent memory that so well captures that Neil Young/Crazy Horse/Lou Reed/Velvet Underground sound I like so much.

And some of the older ones were a bit harder to find, but they were reissued in 2001 so should be easier now. And one of the reasons for this post, besides having a very good time lately with Beet, was that I also remembered this article on DOA from a couple years ago on the band and looked it up and it's still there and it's some good reading ...
    http://www.adequacy.net/reviews/uam/uam-sept03.shtml

Anyway, back to the present, our Ex Lion Tamer buddy is quite the fan too I believe, although he doesn't seem to check in anymore. The Eighth that I mention above is somewhat different than the more straightforward sound of the early stuff, primarily I think because John McEntire and John McCombs were well entrenched in Tortoise by that time and brought in some of that sound to the mix. And Janet had her Freakwater project with Catherine Irwin well established. I like it a lot, but it's very loose and open. Almost free-form at times. Just has a feel about it that I find very appealing, although to be honest some of the songs are a bit under developed. Nice cover art too. The next one, Stalled Parade, may be my favorite. More aggressive and direct, like Beet, but also more Velvety Underground, and more sinister and dark. Great record.

Forum Regular

Killers

Wow the Killers was it really that long ago I heard that track on the radio which made me make a mental note of who they were. Seeing as Davey is so fond of checking out the archives I thought I would have a little looksey.

The Killers - Somebody told me...

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but reviewers - stuff em I say. I know good music when I hear it.

Cheers
    Mike

Hey Slosh Bones! Forgot to mention earlier that I've been spinning this new Fruit Bats Spelled In Bones some lately and it's really sounding good. Probably three or four listens down now and it does really have a nice ebb and flow. Didn't remember as much piano on the last one, but I like it. Got a definite Beulah vibe and sound to it, minus the horns, but also a bit of the Shins and even some Ben Folds Five. But mostly some of that good old Beulah, and that keeps me happy. Kind of twee, but I won't tell

Yeah, Spelled In Bones took me about three or four spins to start getting into. At first I thought it was too samey but it starts to bloom with repeated listens, at least for me. A pretty nice album, goofy lyrics and all.

Me, I can't stop playing the new Rogue Wave. I liked the first album pretty well too and at the time thought they showed some real potential. Nice to see I was right for once.

I never chipped my tooth singing along to Raspberry Beret.

Thread Information