AR Newbie Registered Member

Corresponding screen size when positioning a projector

Thought I would try posting my question here first.
    I decided to upgrade my HT after moving into a new house, and would prefer using a front projector for my system vs one of the 60 inch LCD/DLP tvs that are priced in the $3500 range because of the advantage of having a much large screen size. Given the physical characteristics of the room I wish to install the projector in, I would like to know if this application is practical. Is it possible for modern day projetors, to project a 100" diagonal image from only 10-11 feet away? The sony model (VPL HS51) I'm interested in purchasing projects up to 200' but I do not know how much distance is required for 'only' a 100" screen. From what I've read, 10ft is the minimum distance the sony needs to project an onscreen image, but there is no information regarding that image's exact size. If it can only project say, a 50" screen size from 10 feet away, then I might prefer to get a oversized TV instead. It would be possible for me to install the projector as much as 16ft away from the screen, but this would really complicate the wiring and connections necessary for my installation.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Forum Regular
    most of todays projectors can be adjusted to work within your perimeters, however- every time you change out-of-box settings, adjust lens, focal settings, whatever you change beyond manufacturers recommendations will affect picture quality. The Sony is a very good choice but at a 100" diagonal screen its' recommended at a 14.5' throw distance with a low gain screen material. I would stick with the Sony, mount the unit as far back as possible, run a HDMI cable from your source ( maybe add a Geffen HDMI switcher), and use a high contrast grey screen

WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information