Blue Point Special EVO III

I'm looking at picking up a BPS for about half of retail...right now I'm running a Grado Gold...is this a step up or a step over? I have an intrest because of price more than anything else. Any adivce???

Peace-out, Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thepogue
    I'm looking at picking up a BPS for about half of retail...right now I'm running a Grado Gold...is this a step up or a step over? I have an intrest because of price more than anything else. Any adivce???

Peace-out, Pogue
    I do not know if this will be any help. I own a Grado Red and a Blue Point 2 that I use in my Rega 2. Comparing those two cartridges IMO the Blue Point is a much better cartridge for things like image depth, delicacy of sound and tracking. The Grado is more dynamic and the bass might be a little fuller. I have never felt that the Grado alowed me to hear everything in the grooves the way the Blue Point or the Ortofon OM 20 does. I would go with the Blue Point Special it was a very popular cartridge and well reviewed.

By the way no luck finding the Clever Clamp. I gave my nephew my Thorens table and it was probably in that box.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Please forward me your Nephews address...

I'll go pick it up...

Thanks for the heads up on the carts. Do you think 175 is a good price? I dont know what thye go for on the used market. Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Benz Micro Cart.

I'll go pick it up...

Thanks for the heads up on the carts. Do you think 175 is a good price? I dont know what thye go for on the used market. Pogue
    Depends on hours of use. Are you buying it from a local dealer? Will you be able to see the stylus under a microscope to judge wear? If it has few hours of use and the stylus is in good shape I would say it is a bargain. Also ask for a short trial period to make sure there are no problems with the cartridge's suspension. A friend bought a very expensive moving coil cart that looked good under the scope but the wire that kept the cantilever in place snapped and the cartridge dropped low.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Depends on hours of use. Are you buying it from a local dealer? Will you be able to see the stylus under a microscope to judge wear? If it has few hours of use and the stylus is in good shape I would say it is a bargain. Also ask for a short trial period to make sure there are no problems with the cartridge's suspension. A friend bought a very expensive moving coil cart that looked good under the scope but the wire that kept the cantilever in place snapped and the cartridge dropped low.
    Microscope to judge wear? Do people really do this?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I wish it was a local dealer...

I pikced up a NGritty from this guy (it was better than listed and packed to perfection) so I have some trust in him. He says it has less than 30 hrs..and is minty. I'm not too sure I fully have a handle on the whole MC/MM differences...I know somewhat I've read but have no "real life" experience.

Pogue

GM....I'm quite sure they do...lol...but I haven't (but I'm a dope...lol)

Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Benz Micro Cart.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Microscope to judge wear? Do people really do this?

Yes back in the old days young man.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I pikced up a NGritty from this guy (it was better than listed and packed to perfection) so I have some trust in him. He says it has less than 30 hrs..and is minty. I'm not too sure I fully have a handle on the whole MC/MM differences...I know somewhat I've read but have no "real life" experience.

Pogue

GM....I'm quite sure they do...lol...but I haven't (but I'm a dope...lol)

Pogue
    There are three types of magnetic cartridges. Moving coils like the BPS have a tiny coil at the end of the cantilever which is in a magnetic field. When the coil moves in the magnetic field it generates a small voltage. Cutter heads are designed with the coil on the cantilever and the voltage is sent through the coil to drive the cantilever. Since it is the exact opposite in theory of how the groove was made people feel MC's should be closer to the original signal. Grado belongs to one of the two fixed coil varieties. The Grado like the Ortofon OM20 are induced magnet designs. The cantilever is in close proximity to a fixed magnet. The cantilever moves between the fixed coils and with the magnetization from the fixed magnet allows a signal to be generated. Usually at a higher voltage than the moving coil. Audio Technica and Shure belong to the moving magnet camp. They have small magnets on the cantilever and the magnet moves between the coil generating the voltage. Also higher output than most moving coils. There are good and bad examples of all three types of cartridges.

The BPS sounds like a good deal with only 30 hours use and the fact that you have trust in the seller.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

your a good man JM!!

I was at the "shop" yesterday and a trusted friend of mine who works there gave me the overall rundown...but you've shined even more light on the whole issue. I'd didn't realize what compnies made which type (and I'm sure there is cross-over's on ech) but thats great info...I'm truely a "music first" kinda guy but as time goes by I do need to have a better understanding of the "nuts and bolts" in the audio world. I'm no quite ready for building my first croos-ver (as my friend is doing now) but who knows...maybe someday! After speaking to Alan (the audio shop guy) I'm thinking I really need to focus on upgrading my per-amp...I'm lusting after a duel mono Musical Fidelity that my buddy owns so we'll see....I'd also like to get some tubes in somewhere so maybe a CJ or sommfinn.

thanks again for taking the time to learn me

Peace, Pogue

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    There are three types of magnetic cartridges. Moving coils like the BPS have a tiny coil at the end of the cantilever which is in a magnetic field. When the coil moves in the magnetic field it generates a small voltage. Cutter heads are designed with the coil on the cantilever and the voltage is sent through the coil to drive the cantilever. Since it is the exact opposite in theory of how the groove was made people feel MC's should be closer to the original signal. Grado belongs to one of the two fixed coil varieties. The Grado like the Ortofon OM20 are induced magnet designs. The cantilever is in close proximity to a fixed magnet. The cantilever moves between the fixed coils and with the magnetization from the fixed magnet allows a signal to be generated. Usually at a higher voltage than the moving coil. Audio Technica and Shure belong to the moving magnet camp. They have small magnets on the cantilever and the magnet moves between the coil generating the voltage. Also higher output than most moving coils. There are good and bad examples of all three types of cartridges.

The BPS sounds like a good deal with only 30 hours use and the fact that you have trust in the seller.
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Benz Micro Cart.

Thread Information