Forum Regular

Receiver or Amp needed?

I am a complete n00b when it comes to setting up a home for complete audio.

I have ran the wires for some speaker locations thorughout the house.

I will have one set of speaker wires go to a speaker distribution panel that will split it to three stereo inceiling speakers that can do 20-100wts.

My question is, do I need to run the speaker wires from the receiver to an amp to the panel? or can i get a receiver powerful enough to handle it all?

If I need an Amp, a 2 channel 100wt amp enough?

Thanks for your knowledge.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'm not clear as to how the panel distributes the signal. If it's simply connects the speakers in parallel, you'll bring the impedance down way to low for most receivers and amps, if it simply connects all speakers in series, impedance could be too high - not good either. Is there some form of impedance matching circuitry in the panel, or somewhere along the path?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah
    My question is, do I need to run the speaker wires from the receiver to an amp to the panel? or can i get a receiver powerful enough to handle it all?
    Whole house sound / intercom systems typically go through matching transformers to provide a suitable load for the amplfiier. Most receivers can handle driving only two pairs of speakers simultaneously.

rw

Forum Regular
    will be using Impedance
    Matching Volume Control
    as well.

I'm not clear as to how the panel distributes the signal. If it's simply connects the speakers in parallel, you'll bring the impedance down way to low for most receivers and amps, if it simply connects all speakers in series, impedance could be too high - not good either. Is there some form of impedance matching circuitry in the panel, or somewhere along the path?
    to be honest I am not sure.

Like E-Stat said ,one transformer ( Line Transformer ) 70-volts/100 watts wire to speaker terminal of amp .From there speaker transformer to each speaker (different range 10 watts +) .Most time you can connect 2ohm,4,8,16 speakers.This is how alot of commercial system are connected.You can add more speaker at a later date also.

Forum Regular
    thanks for all the input so far.

so, i still have questions on what kind of amp is needed.

the setup will be receiver with one set of speakers going to amp, which then goes to the speaker distrubition panel, which will split it up to the three pairs(or in this case the 3 stereo speakers).

the speakers are Polk Audio RC6s, recommended amplifier power: 20-100 watts.

so is a 2 channel 100 watt amp going to be good enough?

Thread Information