Forum Regular

Bose "Free Field Technology"

I was recently looking at the Bose website and discovered what they call "free field technology" for their new whole-house systems. Now I've never been a Bose person, and I'm by no means an expert on home audio. For those of you that are audio experts, am I right in thinking that this "technology" is just another technology out there that bose has re-named as their own? Basically all it does is it makes sure that their wireless audio signals don't interfere with anything else wireless in the same home. I can think of plenty of examples of other products that also transmit audio without disrupting other signals (Apple Airport Express, Wireless A/V, Wireless Speakers), and I'm wondering if there's any real innovation in this technology of theirs. IT seems to me that anyone that makes ANYTHING wireless has to work with this constraint in mind, but like most other products of theirs, Bose is trying to make consumers think it's some amazing technology they've created. Any thoughts? Thanks..

How dare you accuse Bose of misrepresenting one of their amazing product innovations! Don't you know that they are the greatest innovating company this side of Microsoft? What utter ignorance you mutter! If they say that they invented a new way of transmitting wireless signals that don't interfere with other signals, then who are you to question the greatness of their inventive prowess?

Uh, you mean to also tell me that their incredulous save-the-world Acoustic Wave technology is just a shameless repackaging of bandpass designs that have been around for over 80 years? How dare you!

Or that the greatest thing ever virtual surround feature that Bose INVENTED with their 3-2-1 system is no different than the virtual surround modes that's included with every other home theater receiver on the market? Sacrilege!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    How dare you accuse Bose of misrepresenting one of their amazing product innovations! Don't you know that they are the greatest innovating company this side of Microsoft? What utter ignorance you mutter! If they say that they invented a new way of transmitting wireless signals that don't interfere with other signals, then who are you to question the greatness of their inventive prowess?

Uh, you mean to also tell me that their incredulous save-the-world Acoustic Wave technology is just a shameless repackaging of bandpass designs that have been around for over 80 years? How dare you!

Or that the greatest thing ever virtual surround feature that Bose INVENTED with their 3-2-1 system is no different than the virtual surround modes that's included with every other home theater receiver on the market? Sacrilege!!!!
    Um, not everyone understands sarcasm. There are people who may think you mean this.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I pity those people. Of course anybody with that much ignorance probably owns Bose speakers so maybe I don't pity them....

When its Florian that criticize other speakers ,you guys are on is back .Now you do the same ,is it double standard?

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    When its Florian that criticize other speakers ,you guys are on is back .Now you do the same ,is it double standard?
    Not at all. Flo, you're sacastic too. See?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Not at all. Flo, you're sacastic too. See?
    Hey guys I have a pair of Braun speakers ,and guess what, I dont care if people think they sound like electric shaver

Hey guys I have a pair of Braun speakers ,and guess what, I dont care if people think they sound like electric shaver
    If I use these, can I skip shaving each morning. I'll take 7.

What's wrong with Bose speakers? Doesn't anyone know quality when they see it. And at such a low price. It's like they're pratically giving them away.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    If I use these, can I skip shaving each morning. I'll take 7.
    You would need only one ,the front grill looks like a shaver.The things you find at church bazaar.I take care of two church and find alot of 2 channel receiver,tube amp ,old turntable.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I remember when ADS used to make monitor speakers back in the 70's and 80's and I owned a pair of L570's they were very similar to the Braun speakers made in Germany. I thought they were of good quality.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I remember when ADS used to make monitor speakers back in the 70's and 80's and I owned a pair of L570's they were very similar to the Braun speakers made in Germany. I thought they were of good quality.
    I taught they sounded good also ,then came audio review.Wanted better ,started to look at sub,crossover in speaker,room sensitivity (DB) .Now I have the HT in my blood.I still have lots to learned .

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Truth be told, that particular innovation is perhaps Bose's largest contribution to Audio. It's a shame that they slapped a patent on it, and then chose to impelement their quasi DCR, burried woofer reflex design so poorly. I'll give them credit here credit for creativity though.
    I wouldnt' be surprised if someday, when that patent expires, that design becomes more popular for subwoofers.

Red face Guys, guys... fellahs, ladies and germs...

Such joculatiry and ribaldry is NOT appreciated. I've a head cold and I'm suffering here at work. All this laughing has made me blow snot on my L.C.D. My boss is not amused. They've put biohazard signs outside my cube. I'm being eyed suspiciously by my fellow proles. I'm in trouble, stop makin' me laugh so hard.

Da Worfster

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Such joculatiry and ribaldry is NOT appreciated. I've a head cold and I'm suffering here at work. All this laughing has made me blow snot on my L.C.D. My boss is not amused. They've put biohazard signs outside my cube. I'm being eyed suspiciously by my fellow proles. I'm in trouble, stop makin' me laugh so hard.

Da Worfster
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwww Worf, go to the bathroom and clear ya head man!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

Da Worfster
    This could really blow a man's mind man.

Thread Information