Resident DVD Reviewer

Does Anyone Plan on Seeing This?

As an exorcism buff, I sure do; the trailer looks pretty creepy:

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/e...emilyrose/psp/

Supposedly based on a true event (and they said the same thing about William Peter Blatty's EXORCIST novel), this looks like it MAY have the potential to be a good possession tale; it's gotta be better than Exorcist: The Beginning, speaking of which, does anyone have any updated information on Paul Shrader's DOMINION version release to DVD?

Only 2
    I like all kinds of horror movies but those kind, to close to being real. Not this guy.
    There's a solution for that problem,
    Its called 2 channels

I dunno, man. Like 2channel, I'm not a big fan of devil movies. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Wow.....Im surprised, guys.....are these comments coming from guys who actually saw THE EXORCIST? This doesnt look all that much creepier to me; BUT, did you know that the tale of THE EXORCIST was based on a true case as well?

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I dunno Lex, I finally bought the Exorcist...but I'm gonna wait till a dark cold Canadian winter blizzardy night before watching it (get the full effect)...but we're going to see this tonight...I'll let you know what little ol' Kex thinks of this creepy lookin' movie.
    Very good, Kexo! I'm gonna try and see it tonight as well and we can discuss it on Monday (if I DO get around to seeing it); if you manage to see it, please share your thoughts on it!

I watched Exorcist: The Beginning last night because I was in the mood for it; man, give me any Exorcist film (except the horrendous sequel by John Boorman) and I'm a happy camper!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I dunno Lex, I finally bought the Exorcist...but I'm gonna wait till a dark cold Canadian winter blizzardy night before watching it (get the full effect)...but we're going to see this tonight...I'll let you know what little ol' Kex thinks of this creepy lookin' movie.

Forum Regular
    It looks more like a thriller / courtroom drama judging by what I've read. They're gonna have a tough time topping WPB and Friedkin in the possession movie realm. Nothing's come close since.

Okay, saw the movie. I haven't seen The Exorcist yet, so I can't comment on originality, etc....
    The movie claims it's based on a true story....cool...so did Fargo.
    Could be real, or bogus...Don't know.

The movie was quite entertaining to me, as I haven't seen many movies like this. The right blend of belief vs. doubt, supernatural vs. science, etc to make the viewer's imagination creep him/herself out a bit.

All in all not a bad flick. Not the best I've seen, but good for a creepy movie on a Friday night.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    It looks more like a thriller / courtroom drama judging by what I've read. They're gonna have a tough time topping WPB and Friedkin in the possession movie realm. Nothing's come close since.
    Yes, Def, they are making it seem that way in the trailers too, but there will definitely be some possession/exorcism sequences-----NOTHING that will come close to Friedkin, you are right, who has the ultimate handle on these possession films; better than even Damiano Damiani who directed the creepy occult-based Amityville II: The Posssession.

I didnt make it to the theaters to see this this weekend,

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Okay, saw the movie. I haven't seen The Exorcist yet, so I can't comment on originality, etc....
    The movie claims it's based on a true story....cool...so did Fargo.
    Could be real, or bogus...Don't know.

The movie was quite entertaining to me, as I haven't seen many movies like this. The right blend of belief vs. doubt, supernatural vs. science, etc to make the viewer's imagination creep him/herself out a bit.

All in all not a bad flick. Not the best I've seen, but good for a creepy movie on a Friday night.

Thanks for the info, Kexo, without giving too much away! Sounds like this may be an odd similarity to the Blair Witch Project hoax/case, or possibly The Amityville Horror, which sound like the same kind of idea.....making audiences believe something like this actually happened but was blown way out of proprtion by people involved and/or the Catholic Church.

I see enough legit info in the press about the real life story this was based on (though how loosely I don't know) that I don't think it's a hoax.
    It's believable enough that this COULD have been based on someone's rendition of something that happened in the past. The only people that would really know the accuracy of the events in question are those that were there personally.

I think the movie would still be good without the reference to it being based on a true story, but I have to admit, it did add a bit to the experience. It's a clever way of saying "see, this could happen to you".

If people are on the fence about whether to see this or not, I say go see it. It's fun if nothing else.

Forum Regular
    I may need to check it out. The box office it did this weekend ($30 million) was above expectations. I think a solid, suspenseful horror drama would be refreshing. You know, the kind they used ro make before "scary" movies became loud, dumb, teen flicks. I found myself in Blockbuster the other day looking at Rosemary's Baby and The Omen, asking myself "What happened? Where are the new supernatural classics?"

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    I may need to check it out. The box office it did this weekend ($30 million) was above expectations. I think a solid, suspenseful horror drama would be refreshing. You know, the kind they used ro make before "scary" movies became loud, dumb, teen flicks. I found myself in Blockbuster the other day looking at Rosemary's Baby and The Omen, asking myself "What happened? Where are the new supernatural classics?"
    You couldnt have said it better Def-----I TOTALLY agree.....these stupid, ridiculous teen-oriented horror films are just seriously out of hand. Perhaps this is a turn in the right direction for REAL horror buffs such as you and I; thanks for your thoughts!

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "I see enough legit info in the press about the real life story this was based on (though how loosely I don't know) that I don't think it's a hoax."

Well, as I had this discussion on another board with other members, many people do not realize that mental conditions such as schizophrenia can easily be misinterpreted as "demonic possession" in many, many cases, and has often been proved to be so.

"It's believable enough that this COULD have been based on someone's rendition of something that happened in the past. The only people that would really know the accuracy of the events in question are those that were there personally."

True; as was the case of the boy they based THE EXORCIST on; I still believe these were mental illnesses these young people were battling, not demonic forces.

"I think the movie would still be good without the reference to it being based on a true story, but I have to admit, it did add a bit to the experience. It's a clever way of saying "see, this could happen to you"."

I'll have to check it out.

"If people are on the fence about whether to see this or not, I say go see it. It's fun if nothing else."

Then I'll definitely check it out; are there many greusome exorcism scenes like in The Exorcist or is this more of an investigavtive study?

Thread Information