Who is up to the $1000 Challange???

This comes from another thread where some are talking about the way they would alocate funds for systems ranging from $5,000 - $20,000.

One gentleman mentioned that he could see a $1000 system, but not the $20,000 system and was sort of laughed out of that thread.

Now, I fall somewhere between those extermes as I'm sure many do.

I posed the question "what would you recommend for a $1,000 system" and was told to start another thread.

So, here it is...

Since we all have to start somewhere, and for many of us funds can be somewhat limited, do you think you could suggest a decent system for $1000 for a friend?

I'll set some ground rules to keep it somewhat civilized.

1) Stick to two channel here. Thisway, with only two speakers to contend with (and only two amp channels as well), you'll get quite a bang for those few bucks. Also, this effectively rules out HTIB units

2) Assume a digital source (CD, SACD, whatever).

3) If you want to include vinyl, feel free but be aware that not all amplifiers/receivers today have built in phono preamps. Figure that into your costs.

4) FM is optional but is most certainly welcome.

5) Be careful about cables/interconnects. These can add up quite quickly if you are not careful.

6) Oh yes, no ebay or used items please. Only commonly available items with real prices reflecting what Joe Newbie can find.

I'll be back later with some suggestions but for now, let's see if we can help some newbies on a budget. ...or are we all elitests here???

Hey Mark

One pair of Adire HE 10.1 kits $149.50 (each)
    total $299.00

MDF for project above with veneer and stain $60.00
    total $359.00

One Ella Tube amplifier kit $559.00
    Total $918.00

Philips CDC735 CD Changer $89.00
    total $1007.00

interconnects (use what came with the components you have) $0.00

Speaker cable generic 14awg $<10.00
    total $1017.00

well...I went over...but this would be a pretty good system. The HE10.1's aren't perfect...but they do get some of the things right...that many (higher priced) audiophile speakers don't do. All in all...you really gain ALOT when you go with kits or DIY!

take care>>>>>
    Last edited by gonefishin; 01-07-2004 at 03:57 PM.

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular
    I'll give it a go:

nOrh Classic 6.1 - $500 (nOrh.com)
    Toshiba SD-4900 - $88.06 (6ave.com)
    Denon AVR-1803 - $369.06 (6ave.com)
    Speaker wire - $10 (Radio Shack)
    Banana plugs - $10 (Radio Shack)
    Optical cable - $20 (Radio Shack)

Total - $997.12

Forum Regular

You guys are pretty good.

I wasn't sure if it was even possible to do this without going to a generic rack system, new equipment that is. Some of these would probably sound better than many would believe and would probably trap many of the buyers into the stereo fever that most of us here probably have. By that, all I mean is that once people realize how nice a home stereo is able to sound, they are often surprised and start to wonder, "If $1000 can do this, I wonder what $2000 can do or $10,000. If you'd rather watch movies than listen to music, this bug may never bite you and you'll be very happy to go out and buy an expensive TV and HT system.
    All well and good for those who enjoy it.
    Markw, or anyone else who may have taken offense, please don't consider me as an elitest as I sure don't consider myself one. I spent many years with lesser components than I have now and I'm still barely reaching what may be the bottom floor of high end stuff. Remember, I listened to Bose 901's for many years and you won't find many people who have anything nice to say about them. I bought almost entirely used equipment and was able to get much more than if I went new. If I only had $1000 to blow, I'd go used and maybe get $4000 worth of equipment but I guess that should be another thread.
    Anyway, this is a good little experiment and maybe we can all learn something.
    Bill

My turn, I guess

It seems there is a dearth of medium priced two-channel equipment on the market. I think this speaks to the imminent demise of two channel systems for a starting point for the current/next generation of “audio enthusiasts” but such is the way of life.

If we move a little up market, there is more selection but the challenge here was to maximize this investment. I chose some items I’m familiar with simply because I’ve been down this road recently for my HT system. But, bear in mind that I used music as my goal on this system as well as on my main “two channel only” system.

With that in mind, this also allows for easy growth into a fairly competent 6.1 system with the addition of a few more speakers. But, for the time being, it will provide quite a satisfying two-channel system with quite a bang for the buck.

Source – Pioneer DVD/SACD player, $179 @ Audio Advisor
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can’t say I own one of these, but for the price and the fact that it plays practically anything on a 5 ¼ disc I find very appealing.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...Video%20Player

Receiver – Denon 1803, $350 @ 6th Avenue Electronics
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have this guy’s bigger, older brother, the 2802 and it plays well with others. Can’t say much about Denon’s customer service ‘cause I’ve never needed to use it. I must say, I was tossed up between this and Denon’s two channel only DRA 395 for a few bucks less, but the potential for expansion for the extra $20 in this unit seems irresistible.

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=AVR1803

Speakers – Athena Audition AS-F1, $399/pair @ Audio Advisor or Best Buy
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I’ll admit, I’m a little partial to these also. I’ve owned them for almost two years now and still don’t listen to them. I listen through them to the music. I home tested many better known, similarly priced popular brands from Canada, England and the good old US of A and found these the most satisfying at this price point. They are quite efficient and as such, are well mated to the power capabilities of the 1803.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...ers%20-%20Pair

These come to $948.90. Cables and interconnects should not cost more than $30 so this brings the total to 978.90. Since Audio Advisor offers free shipping, the only variable might be shipping on the 1803.

YMMV... enjoy

Forum Regular

well actually...

he said he could not see spending $5,000 on a system. I told him I could not see putting a system together $1000. I actually asked people what percentage of these make believe funds would they put towards speakers.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

DMK
    Forum Regular

Interesting!

In some ways, it's more satisfying to put together an inexpensive but musical system than it is with $5K! Just looking at the Audio Advisor catalog, here's a system that would satisfy:

Speakers - Wharfdale Diamond 8.3 - $350
    Amp - Cambridge Azur integrated - $350
    CD/SACD/DVD - Pioneer DV-563A -$179

That's $879 and you can use the cables that come with the components or spend $30 or so on speaker wire, etc. As critical as I think phono playback is, I wouldn't recommend it in new components for under $1K. With used gear, it's more than possible. But the above system would play music and most people would not find themselves wanting for anything... until they went to a friends house and heard vinyl! Then they'd have to at minimum invest $60 for a phono board on the amp and $300 for a Music Hall MMF-2 if they insisted on new gear. Total would be $1269 with phono capabilities.

DMK
    Forum Regular

This may be cheating, but...

... an even less expensive solution from the same catalog would be:

CEC CD3300 CDP - $499
    Grado SR-80 headphones - $85

I often plug these phones into my Sony XA20-ES CD player directly and the sound is great! Not as good as with the Senn HD-600's but still good. I'd imagine the CEC's headphone jack to be the equal of the Sony's. An extension cord might also be nice for about $30-40 but the system still comes in under $600 and will beat the system I mentioned above sonically. If the person liked to listen for extended periods and the Grado "ear flattening" isn't to his liking, substitute the Senns and have superior sound for $850 as well as comfort.

Forum Regular
    i have a

panasonic sa-he75k amplifier

quest qt66 towers

quest qc5 centre

quest qb5 rears

quest qs10II 10 inch subwoofer

technosonic dvd player

monster fibre optic

14 gauge speaker wire "about 80 feet total

monster 16 foot sub cable

and it was around 900 - 1000 "CANADIAN"

it sounds good to........ it doesnt quite stack up to my yamaha based system but hey, its good for a cube 14 foot bedroom.

shakes the whole house atleast

Forum Regular

I'm a little curious.

..../././
    Quote Originally Posted by DMK
    In some ways, it's more satisfying to put together an inexpensive but musical system than it is with $5K! Just looking at the Audio Advisor catalog, here's a system that would satisfy:

How could you say that this system would satisfy simply by looking at a catalog? Also, why is it more satisfying to put togehter a system for $1,000, instead of $5,000? in my experience a $5,000 is more musically satisfying. I just trying to understand.
    Thannks!

Speakers - Wharfdale Diamond 8.3 - $350
    Amp - Cambridge Azur integrated - $350
    CD/SACD/DVD - Pioneer DV-563A -$179

That's $879 and you can use the cables that come with the components or spend $30 or so on speaker wire, etc. As critical as I think phono playback is, I wouldn't recommend it in new components for under $1K. With used gear, it's more than possible. But the above system would play music and most people would not find themselves wanting for anything... until they went to a friends house and heard vinyl! Then they'd have to at minimum invest $60 for a phono board on the amp and $300 for a Music Hall MMF-2 if they insisted on new gear. Total would be $1269 with phono capabilities.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Forum Regular

Sub-$1000 CD stereo system

Here's one possibility:

Receiver: Panasonic HE100, $230. This unit was chosen because it was highly rated by Consumer Reports, and it has a phono preamp and is rated for use with 4 ohm speakers.

Player: Panasonic DVD-S55, $130. Chosen because it is also highly rated, and will play both mp3 and WMA coded discs. Also matches the receiver above.

Speakers: Cambridge Model 6, $130/pr. Low price and very long warranty. 4 ohms, but that's OK if you use the receiver above.

Cables: #14 speaker wire from Home Depot (or equivalent) and whatever interconnects came with the player.

So here we are with a fine system for about $500. All components are endorsed by CR. CR is not infallible, but certainly more so than any contributor to this thread!
    Norm Strong [normanstrong@comcast.net]

Forum Regular

Reaching for the bottom

While I'm on the subject, here's a system that might appeal to those REALLY strapped for funds. I mention it because my brother just bought one like this and he loves it. So do I.

KLH 10" powered subwoofer. Purchased from Costco for $80.

2 KLH satellites, also from Costco, for $40.

Panasonic HE75 receiver. On sale everywhere for $150.

Apex AD-1225 DVD player. (I have one of these, and it does an admirable job.) $30.

There it is. An even $300 + tax and shipping
    Norm Strong [normanstrong@comcast.net]

DMK
    Forum Regular
    You were right to call me on that - I was not clear.

I have heard this system with mine own ears! I only meant that I could pull a decent sounding system out of the catalog, not that I was doing it sight unseen (sound unheard). A very close friend of mine wanted a digital only system (to start) and asked me to pick it out for him. I couldn't spend more than $1000. I've lived markw's post within the last two months! This system, while not completely satisfying to me, is more than adequate for my friend and I could live with it if I had to.

It's sometimes more satisfying to put together an inexpensive system not for sonic reasons but simply because newcomers to this hobby think you need to spend megabucks. It's nice to be able to show them something that sounds 10 times better than the Bose or rack system they've been looking at but that costs less. It's pretty simple to do that with $5K but it's a little more of a challenge for $1000.

With used gear purchases, I put together this system for someone:

Sony XA20-ES CD player - $250
    Arcam Delta 120.2 power amp - $75
    Sota Time Domain One two-way floorstanding speakers - $600

The Sony doesn't need a preamp. And let me tell you, this guy didn't want used gear and was ready to spend $3500 on a new system. This little guy, for $925, blows away what he wanted to spend $3500 on. Now THAT is satisfaction!

Of course, truth to tell, if the used gear had been new, I'm guessing it would cost about the same $3500. The Sony was $700 when in production and the speakers were $2K. I'd guess the amp was around $800 but I don't really know.

DMK
    Forum Regular
    So here we are with a fine system for about $500. All components are endorsed by CR. CR is not infallible, but certainly more so than any contributor to this thread![/QUOTE]

Then we the contributors are indeed a sorry lot!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    UHF magaazine put a nice system together for under $1000.00CDN.

$1000.00US is pretty high actually and if you buy smart you can out perform a lot of systems for double or triple...and it starts with the speakers.

B&W DM 303 $350.00US
    Sony CDP 355 300 disc changer(Why not have fun too) $160.00.
    NAD C350/or 320 ~350.00US
    Speaker Stands $100.00.

$40.00 left for speaker cables. Use interconnects that came with the cd player.

Thread Information