M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Toshiba rolls back launch of HD-DVD

There goes Toshiba's roll out advantage. I guess they sense that the public is not very happy with this format war

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=576187
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    There goes Toshiba's roll out advantage. I guess they sense that the public is not very happy with this format war

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=576187

FORMAT WARZ

Hoping that the first wave of xbox 360 would support it. O well. I do like the idea of a grand launch, IF it ever happens.

Forum Regular
    One day, they're both going to come out and be like "Hahahaha High Def DVDS?! There's no such thing! High def on plastic? You cant fit all that stuff on plastic and ink, you're all on crack you crackheads."
    Then a war will break out and we'll call it the 'Format War'. Eventually people will look back at how it ended and go 'wow I didn't see that coming, I thought that person was going to win'.
    This will usher in a new age of people watching their TV instead of arguing about it.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    From an analyst's point of view, this looks to me like Toshiba isn't prepared to fully dive in to HD-DVD while a possibility of a compromised format still exists. Either by their own choice, or from stakeholder interests. No sense in starting production and commiting a ton of money, and then starting all over again, that would just be a fantastic waste of resources. Instead, play the wait-and-see game.
    Toshiba stands more to gain from the sale of supported electronics of the eventual winner of this format war than any profit they'd make off the HD-DVD licensing.
    Given Sony's history of fighting losing battles to the bitter end, Toshiba is probably most likely to blink first here, and then just move on with it, especially if they can lay claim to partial ownership of a compromise format.

This delay is probably good news in the long run...if nothing else offers time for a better solution.
    Worst case scenario, the format war starts roughly the same time for both competitors, which will probably lead to a quicker conclusion.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    From an analyst's point of view, this looks to me like Toshiba isn't prepared to fully dive in to HD-DVD while a possibility of a compromised format still exists. Either by their own choice, or from stakeholder interests. No sense in starting production and commiting a ton of money, and then starting all over again, that would just be a fantastic waste of resources. Instead, play the wait-and-see game.
    Toshiba stands more to gain from the sale of supported electronics of the eventual winner of this format war than any profit they'd make off the HD-DVD licensing.
    Given Sony's history of fighting losing battles to the bitter end, Toshiba is probably most likely to blink first here, and then just move on with it, especially if they can lay claim to partial ownership of a compromise format.

This delay is probably good news in the long run...if nothing else offers time for a better solution.
    Worst case scenario, the format war starts roughly the same time for both competitors, which will probably lead to a quicker conclusion.

You contribute to 3.06% of the total posts on this forum.

From an analysts point of view, you would be equal with everyone else if there were only 33 people posting on the site.

Conclusion: Wow.

FORMAT WARZ

Thread Information