Suspended

What's Progster's views of Classical music?

I have an eclectic taste in music, as many other here do I've noticed. I've always been into Prog but mostly the more well known stuff until recently I've discovered Prog still exists and it's being done quite well. I also enjoy some Classical now and again and wondered if other Prog fans do as well or if it's just part of my wide musical interest.

My favorites are Vivaldi and Mozart. I've found I really like violin. I do not care much for Beethoven. I do like many Russian composers like Borodin, Tchaicowsky and Glascov. I prefer Concertos or other small pieces to full Symphony. I also like Bach's Fugues. I'm doubting that I am a true Classical music lover but like pieces in that genre that are unique or some how catches my attention. Like I can completely get lost in the Mozart Violin Concertos. The violing solos are incredible. Maybe it's some aspects in the Classical pieces I like that are also found in Prog. I think Vivaldi would have been a rocker. The stuff I've heard from him is always cheery. The dueling violins in certain parts of the Four Seasons are great just like twin lead guitars in bands like Judas Priest.

I have to stop putting my personal thoughts out like this or you all will have me on Dr. Phil soon.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I dig 'em!

No, seriously -- I really liked your analogy of Four Seasons with Judas Priest. I have to admit, it does tickle a similar nerve, dunnit?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Oh yeah...Classical is great...I'm a very slow learner of this type of music though...at first I hated it. Then some of my music teachers got me tuned into Bach, Orff, Beethoven, Holst, Handel, Rachmoninov (or however they spell it), and of course the over-melodramatic contemporary stuff from Gorecki, Hans Zimmer, John Williams, and the movie guys...It's all good.

I like some violins, but I actually prefer the impact a full symphony delivers. I love choral music. I still think the human voice is the best instrument for delivering true emotion.

I make a point every month to buy at least 1 new classical piece...sometimes it takes me a long time to learn to appreciate it, but it's always fun finding "new" music.

I've found the worst way to get introduced to it is through compilations...Those inevitably end up sounding like a collection of commercial jingles and don't really expose you to enough.

Classical Prog

There is a lot of great classical music that progsters would like. I know you said you didn't like Beethovan, but try his fifth Piano Concerto "Emperor". This is great stuff.

Mozart's 41st Symphony is a favorite of mine.

I also love Dvorak's work. His 9th symphony is my favorite, with it's wide expanse. Reminds me of the open West (Wyoming, Montana).

How about Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (go for the symphonic version first).

Holst's The Planets is another good one.

A ton of classical music has been used by prog artists. It's fun to track some of this down and give it a listen. I should do a comp on this. Stravinsky, Ginestera, Holst, Bach, Mussorgsky.

There is also a large amount of symphonic work by rock artists.

Keith Emerson and the Nice's Five Bridges Suite from 1970 uses an orchestra. Yes used on on their second album, Time and a Word, and more recently on Magnification. Of course, there is ELP's Works Volume One, featuring Emerson's First Piano Concerto. Carl Palmer also recorded a 20 minute symphonic piece which was finally released on his "best of" called Are You Ready, Carl? or something like that. Caravan also recorded an album with an orchestra in 1974.

There's also Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother.
    Joni Mitchell's Prapika Plains
    Alan Parson's Project's The House of Usher
    The first Steve Howe solo Album uses orchestra on a couple of tracks.
    Yngwie Malmsteen recorded an Electric Guitar Sympony where he plays shredding guitar overtop of an orchestra!
    Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow has an extended piece backed by an orchestra.
    Oldfield's The Orchestral Tubular Bells is pretty good.
    King Crimson did the orchestra thing on Prelude: The Song of the Gulls, which I think was from The Wake of Poseidon.
    Renaissance used an orchestra on a whole lot of albums, as well as their Live at Carnegie Hall album.
    Steve Hackett's latest CD is a classical music CD that is outstanding.
    Joe Jackson did his bit on Symphony in One Movement from that album with red, white and blue starbursts or flowers on the the cover.
    Then there are also Barclay James Harvest, The Moody Blues, Procal Harum, Marillion, New Trolls, Gino Vannelli, and dozens more that I can't think of right now.

The jazz guys are also getting into this with recent recordings by Chick Corea, Al DiMeola, Keith Jarrett, Tony Williams, and others have recorded with orchestras as they try to get new textures, expand thier creativity, and create "more serious" music that will appeal to baby boomers.

Then there are rock musicians being seconded by the Classical labels to produce what is usually terrible classical music. Paul McCartney has done a number of these. Billy Joel did one a few years back, which may have been solo piano.

Suspended
    Kex check out the soundtrack to the movie Chorus. It has a lot of choir and has an interesting feel to it, somewhat dark.

I though myself and Jon Anderson's mom were the only one's who liked Magnification. I thought it was a great Yes album. I have that first Engwie Malmsteen album. That's actually the only one of his I like. After that they tried to squeese him into a "hair band" mold.

You all have given me some other stuff to check out. Thanks

Thread Information