Talking Windows Media Ply & itunes

Just got high speed internet today. Hoooooray!! 7years of dial-up is history.

Silly question: Can I organize music files from windows media player into itunes??

I downloaded itunes for free from the apple site.

I like the way it looks better than media player.

Please, help.

Please PM if the info is confidential or something.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

Wow, have I been dying to put up a post about Dell's Musicmatch Jukebox (at least I think it's a Dell product) vs. ITunes. I think it's pretty easy to drag & drop stuff from WMP into ITunes; I've done it from Windows where I keep my MP3s (on a 200 gb external hd). Musicmatch's last software update introduced the novel concept of not being able to identify individual artists on compilations: anything like a movie soundtrack or a comp from someone on this board or a commercial comp, it all goes under "Various Artists." Sorry, that doesn't work for me & I think it's the stupidest thing of all time. I wrote to 'em when they changed it & they didn't care. I've had ITunes for a year but never used it as much of a player until recently. I had to pick up a laptop so I have ITunes as the default player on that & uninstalled Musicmatch so I'd be forced to learn how to use it. Great stuff, & the radio stations are a nice bonus also. I'm probably not going to bother loading ITunes on my desktop with 150gb worth of my music collection (which has grown a lot in the past year in MP3s if not in physical discs & no, I do not download from file-sharers like Kazaa), but all the comps I had on Musicmatch with the ridiculous 'Various Artists' blanket info is now in ITunes along with some other things. There may be an aspect or two of Musicmatch that I still prefer, but, by & large, I think ITunes has 'em beat by a mile. I would've gone with it exclusively from the time I upgraded my desktop, had I known. I did go with Musicmatch over WMP when I first upgraded, can't remember why, it probably had something to with the interface or skins or something. I actually had been looking forward to being able to use WMP after having seen it on an ME machine; I had 98 & playing MP3s on it was something that required a lot of patience.

I imagine Musicmatch offered a feature where you could rip a CD into a custom playlist, but I was too dim to realize that possibility until I started ripping to ITunes a few weeks ago. I suppose if I'd known how to do that it would've made MM a little more user-friendly for me...but it's become clunky as hell & takes over anything else I'm running if I play a CD it doesn't recognize. I hate it when software does that unless it's an antivirus program or something similarly important. I don't want a CD player playing something & demanding info on what it is so I can't stop it until I respond & can't hide the program as it intrudes on whatever the hell I was doing. It was very, uh, elephant-like, very clumsy, super-annoying, to the point where I disabled MM as the default player for CDs. What a pain in the butt, every time I put a CD in that it didn't have a perfect fit for in its database, and I couldn't stop it from playing until I went through at least a couple of fairly slow screens. It shouldn't surprise me that Apple can come up with even Windows-based software that works better than programs that are wholly Windows-based, but let's just say it was good to find that it was a better program.

High speed access saved my old computer & extended its life by probably 3 years; it's a great thing. Enjoy & good luck!

I don't like others.

Thanks MGH

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Wow, have I been dying to put up a post about Dell's Musicmatch Jukebox (at least I think it's a Dell product) vs. ITunes. I think it's pretty easy to drag & drop stuff from WMP into ITunes; I've done it from Windows where I keep my MP3s (on a 200 gb external hd). Musicmatch's last software update introduced the novel concept of not being able to identify individual artists on compilations: anything like a movie soundtrack or a comp from someone on this board or a commercial comp, it all goes under "Various Artists." Sorry, that doesn't work for me & I think it's the stupidest thing of all time. I have ITunes as the default player on that & uninstalled Musicmatch so I'd be forced to learn how to use it. .

High speed access saved my old computer & extended its life by probably 3 years; it's a great thing. Enjoy & good luck!
    Thanks for all the useful info, mindgonehaywire.

In fact, I'm going a little haywire with Musicmatch. I'll play with both, today, and see which comes out the victor.

I'm not having much luck clicking and dragging from one to the other.

Forum Regular
    iTunes has a feature, at least on the Mac, where it can find all the music on your hard drive and automatically put it in iTunes. 2 things about this though: First, there is a setting, I think it's in Advanced Preferences (typing from work so I can't check), to select whether, when you put a tune into iTunes, you copy the file or just index it in iTunes. You want to make sure you're not copying a music file when you transfer it to iTunes, because this takes up extra memory of course. Second, I don't think iTunes can read Windows Media files, but if your music is in MP3s or AACs or Apple's format of course it works just fine.

This is based on transfering a bunch of music two years ago, so the latest versions of the program may be a little different. Also, like I said, maybe the PC version is different from the Mac version.

Thread Information