AR Newbie Registered Member

Snell upgrade. . .

I just moved to California from Massachusetts and instead of shipping my four Snell I am wondering if I should sell them put that money towards either a new set of four or another used set. The one thing I've been a little disappointed with in these speakers is how well they carry the bass.

I listen to a wide range of music so I need something that can carry the bass in Hip Hop, but I also want a real rich sound when I put on some acoustic guitar, or play a movie.

I like the real wood finishes on the Snells, so I want to keep that but am hoping for something that is a little more exciting to look at.

I'd really like to get something that's a little more rare- like the snells- as compared to say Infinity, JBL or the like.

I don't have a boatload of money so basically the money it would take to ship these ($400 I guess) plus the money I would make from selling them ($1000?) plus whatever I might be able to convince my wife of.

Any thoughts? Maybe I should just keep the snells?

-Bryan

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Those four snells are all E/II.

sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by browes
    I just moved to California from Massachusetts and instead of shipping my four Snell I am wondering if I should sell them put that money towards either a new set of four or another used set. The one thing I've been a little disappointed with in these speakers is how well they carry the bass.

I listen to a wide range of music so I need something that can carry the bass in Hip Hop, but I also want a real rich sound when I put on some acoustic guitar, or play a movie.

I like the real wood finishes on the Snells, so I want to keep that but am hoping for something that is a little more exciting to look at.

I'd really like to get something that's a little more rare- like the snells- as compared to say Infinity, JBL or the like.

I don't have a boatload of money so basically the money it would take to ship these ($400 I guess) plus the money I would make from selling them ($1000?) plus whatever I might be able to convince my wife of.

Any thoughts? Maybe I should just keep the snells?

-Bryan

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Peter Snell made the originals and were and are considered the best from Snell. Kevin Voecks took over and made a mess after that.

I'm not up on the E/II but they may be a little re-worked to get more from them - if they are more than 10 years old and you've lived in a humid climate the foam surrounds probably are in need of re-foaming. If yours has a rear firing tweeter it should be turned off. There are other suggestions out there to turn these into closer versions of the Audio Note E speakers. Audio Note bought the rights to the original Snells -- ther emay be suggetions to get them re-vamped.

I would do a search on the Audioasylum http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html and if that gets you no results ask on the AudioNote kits forum which is on the right side of the link provided.

Thread Information