Question CD-R audio vs CD-R for data & pictures

I see CD-R's go on sale from time to time. Sometimes it's the CD-R's for music, and sometimes it's not. Is there any real difference in these other than the cost? Can the CD-R's for data be used for music? Is there a difference in quality? Or are they completely incompatable?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Skeptic
    The ONLY difference is a special code on the music CDRs that computers ignore and which has NO effect on the recordable portion of the disc. Consumer (not professional) music CD recorders look for the code and if they do not find it, they refuse to record on the disc.
    When someone says, "Trust your ears" or "Hearing is believing", consider this: Do you thoughtlessly trust your eyes when you see a stick inserted halfway in water? If you don't trust your eyes without thinking, why would you trust your ears without thinking? I recommend not mindlessly trusting your sensory organs, but engaging your brain before you make a decision.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrho
    The ONLY difference is a special code on the music CDRs that computers ignore and which has NO effect on the recordable portion of the disc. Consumer (not professional) music CD recorders look for the code and if they do not find it, they refuse to record on the disc.
    So they are worthless to me huh? Oh well, just another way they squeeze extra $$ out of us for no reason other than "they can."
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Skeptic
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    So they are worthless to me huh? Oh well, just another way they squeeze extra $$ out of us for no reason other than "they can."
    Perhaps I was not clear enough. If you are using a computer, you can use either type of disc. The computer ignores the code on the Music CDRs and records on them just like it does on any other CDR. The reason for the code has to do with the music industry not wanting to lose money on CD sales, and they threatened to sue the manufacturers of recording devices for copyright infringement, so a deal was made in which CD recorders looked for the special code. A special fee is paid to the music industry for each Music CDR, which is why they tend to cost more.
    When someone says, "Trust your ears" or "Hearing is believing", consider this: Do you thoughtlessly trust your eyes when you see a stick inserted halfway in water? If you don't trust your eyes without thinking, why would you trust your ears without thinking? I recommend not mindlessly trusting your sensory organs, but engaging your brain before you make a decision.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I see CD-R's go on sale from time to time. Sometimes it's the CD-R's for music, and sometimes it's not. Is there any real difference in these other than the cost? Can the CD-R's for data be used for music? Is there a difference in quality? Or are they completely incompatable?
    In my Sony cd recorder I have to use the cdr withthe Compact Disc digital audio symbol and yes they are more expensive.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    In my Sony cd recorder I have to use the cdr withthe Compact Disc digital audio symbol and yes they are more expensive.
    Oh well. Somehow I knew that but didn't want to accept it. Thanks JM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrho
    Perhaps I was not clear enough. If you are using a computer, you can use either type of disc. The computer ignores the code on the Music CDRs and records on them just like it does on any other CDR. The reason for the code has to do with the music industry not wanting to lose money on CD sales, and they threatened to sue the manufacturers of recording devices for copyright infringement, so a deal was made in which CD recorders looked for the special code. A special fee is paid to the music industry for each Music CDR, which is why they tend to cost more.
    Your reply was clear. I am using a Yamaha CD recorder.

Thanks for the info. It saved me from buying the data type to see if they would work.

Thread Information