Forum Regular

New to the scene

I am sorry to be a bother so if you could just quickly point me in the right direction I should not be too much of a hassle. I have just purchased new speakers, which I am quite proud of, paradigm monitor 9s. These speakers are quite nice, however I know two things are now lacking in my system, the cables and the tuner. Since I am in am just about to finish my degree then get my mba I know I will have to move a few times more. Thus, I did not think it wise to invest a large sum in speaker wires since the lengths will vary when I move. So, I was thinking it was a perfect time to start looking into a new reciever to power the speakers. I have a old JVC reciever I paid $400 seven years ago and know it is time to upgrade. However, I want to match the speakers well with this new reciever, I do not want a reciever of lower quality or one of too much higher quality. I am looking for the perfect match. Now I know everyone has there own preferences, but generally I am willing to read around but I am sure there are alot of crap sites out there. If you would be kind to send me in the right directions and or comments on what you would purchase it would be much appreciated. By the way I spent $1000 CAD on the speakers.

Linear Guy

getting a receiver

Have you considered future use? Two channel listening or home theatre capabilities?
    If you need a receiver, the only widely available one I think is sonically decent is Denon. If you are looking for an upgrade in sound and less iritating long term listening, I would recommend separates for two channel listening and NAD or Cambridge Audio receivers for
    home theater/music listening. Good luck on your purchase and enjoy the process. Consider quality components. The extra you spend is always worth it IMO. A decent cable that wont set you back a bunch is Audioquest type 4. dk

Forum Regular
    Since I have a nice paradigm center channel and nice infinity rear speakers as well as a so-so subwoofer I would like this for home theatre use primarily. I checked out those wires, one word expensive. I live in Canada and the exchange would kill me. Are the AudioQuest
    Type 2+ Speaker Cable - Pair any good, they are a much better price, but still a tad expensive when running to five speakers. So, you would recommend a Denon reciever and as such what model is good for $1000 CAD speakers?

Denon is far from the 'only good sounding receiver out there' so don't limit yourself. My experience is that Denon is on par with similar priced units from Yamaha, or Harmon Kardon and just a notch below Onkyo, Marantz, and Rotel.

There's also simply no use in spending a mint for speaker wire. I dare you to find a better sounding speaker wire than this:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-155

As you're probably finding out, there's a lot of hype in home theater equipment. Don't fall for it. Just because something costs twice as much as something else does not make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    Have you considered future use? Two channel listening or home theatre capabilities?
    If you need a receiver, the only widely available one I think is sonically decent is Denon. If you are looking for an upgrade in sound and less iritating long term listening, I would recommend separates for two channel listening and NAD or Cambridge Audio receivers for
    home theater/music listening. Good luck on your purchase and enjoy the process. Consider quality components. The extra you spend is always worth it IMO. A decent cable that wont set you back a bunch is Audioquest type 4. dk
    The only sonically decent receiver out there is Denon? The rest is schlock? Give me a break and stop dispensing counterproductive advice, including encouraging this guy to spend $3/foot on speaker wire.

To the original poster: The following receiver brands are all close in quality and features: Yamaha, Denon, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Marantz. All these brands will do the job more than adequately and what I usually advise is that your choice will ultimately come down to features unique to each model/brand like auto-calibration, pre-outs, video switching and user interface, including the quality and useability of the remote.

Don't waste your money on speaker wire. Go to Home Depot and get whatever length you need.

Forum Regular
    I have some 12gauge inwall speaker wire from home depot, it was a good price. Thus, I was thinking of getting a denon avr-1700 that my brother does not want anymore. Would this tuner be good enough? Also, now I have gotten conflicting views on speaker wire from 168$ per 10feet to 3.85$ per 10feet...what is the deal there?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by c00z
    I have some 12gauge inwall speaker wire from home depot, it was a good price. Thus, I was thinking of getting a denon avr-1700 that my brother does not want anymore. Would this tuner be good enough? Also, now I have gotten conflicting views on speaker wire from 168$ per 10feet to 3.85$ per 10feet...what is the deal there?
    I strongly encourage you to compare Marantz or H/K receivers to the Denons and then decide. There is a lot of hype in the cable business. The Partsexpress cable mentioned before will be more than adequate in your application.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

wire

the 12 ga is probably fine for now, especially with a receiver. as you progress into high end electronics, you might find that trying a more distinguished wire could benefit you. a few issues ago in the absolute sound, someone tried home depot extension cords with the ends cut off as speaker wire and got very good results.

at the budget end of good speaker wire is audioquest type 4. quite affordable and clearly better than twin lead monster type wire. some dealers will let you try these things out before purchase.

getting that denon from your brother seems like a cost effective method of buying time until your schooling is finished.

for the rear and center speakers you might try using malibu outdoor lighting wire. its 16ga and has a good insulation and is cheeeep at the hardware store. i bought a 100' roll for not much. the rears really dont have to be treated with as much TLC as the fronts. maybe the center front would benefit from better wire but i dont get very worked up about HT.
    ...regards...tr

Your in luck, I happen to own Monitor 9 v2. Not all receivers are the same, I had my 7's powered with a Sony DE-975. It wasn't till I upgraded to a Yamaha RX-V2200 that this speaker opened up, the 9's would be same. Why does the Yammie power these when the Sony couldn't? I don't know except the Rx-v 1400 and 2300 from what I read can drive a low impedence load even though these speakers are rated at 8 ohms.
    Looking at the specs for the Denon avr-1705 I don't see anything that suggests it can handle a low impedance load so I am skeptical that this unit can power the 9's to their potential. Not saying you have to buy a Yamaha but I seen an RX-V2300 two weeks ago for $750 cdn. I wanted to buy it but I'm still paying for my latest upgrades.
    As for wire I don't know if it makes a difference, but it would be the last thing I worry about. My guess is you'd get more benefit putting the money into acoustic room treatment.

Forum Regular
    perfect..I will upgrade my wire to the suggested parts express wire since it is 100 ft worth for a very good price and I will be able to cut different lengths from the remainder when I move. As for the tuner, I will check into the denons and the Yamaha RX models...anything I missed?

perfect..I will upgrade my wire to the suggested parts express wire since it is 100 ft worth for a very good price and I will be able to cut different lengths from the remainder when I move. As for the tuner, I will check into the denons and the Yamaha RX models...anything I missed?
    Doesn't sound like you've missed much. But if you're one to hold onto components for a long time, be sure to fully familiarize yourself with all the models and their attending features, so as to get what you need and anticipate you will need down the road.

Linear Guy

guess you told me.......

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    The only sonically decent receiver out there is Denon? The rest is schlock? Give me a break and stop dispensing counterproductive advice, including encouraging this guy to spend $3/foot on speaker wire.

Don't waste your money on speaker wire. Go to Home Depot and get whatever length you need.
    Lets give the original poster some creidit for recognizing there are several competing receivers of equal ability. I think he was looking for opinions about sound quality so he could make an intelligent purchase. Thats my opinion on the receivers and I definately stand by my recommendation on the speaker wire. Type 4 is not a rip-off and might just help a bit more when using a receiver. Its not counterproductive advice, its just advice. Let him sort it out.

I vote for Marantz myself. I had many Flagship Onkyos, Denon, HK and Marantz Receivers and the best so far were the Marantz and that fat HK8500.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    Any great online places to pick up one of those tuners?

Forum Regular
    Any great online places to pick up one of those tuners?
    www.ac4l.com sells Marantz gear. I have always thought the mid-level denon receivers sound a bit thin. I prefer the Marantz sound.

Hey cOOz,
    Im new here also but have been in audio as a hobby for many years. The guys here have given some good ideas in regard to HT receivers to look at. if it is in fact a receiver you are seeking your tuner needs are solved. If its a integrated HT amp/pre you seek then you will need a tuner if you want AM/FM.

You have a great pair of speakers to start with by the way. My only advice would be to listen/audition in your home if you can. Each manufacture will (might ) sound a little different to you and the features may be similar but lay out differently.
    Dont forget to listen to music also. From experience some might sound great for movies but not so good for music. Some do a nice job on both. Everyone has opinions on gear but the best judge will be yourself.

As far a cables are concerned, same rules apply. I have my fair share of high end cables myself but much of it is smoke and mirrors IMHO. A good quality 12-14 ga. braided copper would be fine Im sure.

Haru

Forum Regular
    Which particular model of MARANTZ? Also, this site that you linked is all factory refurbished, is that a problem? Does anyone have any experience with factory refurbs?

Forum Regular
    Which particular model of MARANTZ? Also, this site that you linked is all factory refurbished, is that a problem? Does anyone have any experience with factory refurbs?
    Now that would depend on your budget! You still get a 1 year warranty and I know for a fact that Marantz factory service is extremely quick.

Forum Regular
    I was looking at this model MARANTZ SR5500 RECEIVER 90W X 7CH. Any thoughts on it? I am in Canada so I would be hit with an exchange rate as well as shipping, and that would put it right near my budget

Forum Regular
    last post for a bit, I took a better look around the store and they a SR7200 for 10$ less than the SR5500. Does this speaker have a subwoofer out, I am assuming it is better than the 5500 since its regular price is much more, thoughts on this reciever?

Forum Regular
    one more thing, am I missing it or does it not have a powered sub out? I currently have a subwoofer that I am running and would like to continue to run until I can upgrade it. However, I require a out for it. The subwoofer is a powered subwoofer, but I looked at a picture of the 5400 and it does not seem to have the sub out similar to the one I have. How it is supposed to be mentioned in the specs if it has a sub out?

Thread Information