Forum Regular

Black gloss finish

I have spent hours searching for a good solution for a black high gloss finish for my speakers. There is no easy solution out there. Painting seems like the only choice, but not really a good one.

I don't understand why this is such a challenge. Why doesn't partsexpress offer a gloss finish wrap?

It's driving me nuts. Has anyone found a good and easy solution for a black gloss finish? What about having an auto-body shop paint them? How good or bad do you think that would turn out?

Any advice is appreciated!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Having an auto-body shop do it would be great....but having spent a lot of time working for one in my youth, I can only imagine it be so cost-inefficient for all but the most expensive speakersthat you wouldn't bother.
    You can buy some black melamine/laminates that you'd use on countertops or in bathrooms, etc. They are a bit expensive, and would be difficult to keep seamless, but I know some have with good results. Fast, durable and great looking. But mistakes are expensive.
    It's just easier to prime, paint and sand the bejeesus of the boxes over and over again.

You won't find a black high gloss vinyl wrap just because of physics. Glossy material won't stay glossy if it's bent and rolled up into a vinyl. And those materials that will aren't economically viable. You would make a lot of money developing an inexpensive, black gloss vinyl laminate.

So, I guess it comes down to how much work you're prepared to do to finish your speakers. If 15 hours of labor on painting doesn't appeal to you (it doesn't to me), then maybe plan B is a bit better way to go.

Sanding and painting is good for the soul

I find it relaxing. Very hard work but it keeps my upper body in pretty decent shape. Whatever you do, don't use steel wool to smooth out the imperfections as it will stick in the paint. To make things faster, you could use black lacquer. It's ready to sand in 4-6 hours so it cuts down on time. You typcially need 2-3 coats of primer, 2-3 coats of black lacquer, 2-3 coats of clear lacquer and the compound, finish restorer, and buff out. I've found the canned lacquer to be very soft. The nitro cellulouse seems sturdier but harder to sand.

If this doesn't appeal to you, then ya, laminate is the way to go.

MCH
    Forum Regular
    Well my method for a glossy black is the painting procedure. If you look in the gallary you'll see an acoustic stand I made (also have a matching music stand) utilizing a high gloss black finish. I first prep the piece (after throughly sanding to satisfaction or get tired of that process) with a flat latex. This could be up to 3 coats or more with sanding in between to get the flatest and least amount of flaws (or perfection if you can achieve it). Then I really like using General Paint High Gloss Black Marine Enamel. I find lacquer quite finicky. I spray with a spray gun, so I thin the paint to desired flow needs. I wait for each coat to set up at least 24 hrs before sanding. When I get to my final coat; at least 4 coats; I apply the thickest coat possible without runs (this is a very fine line between a thick coat that will flow out and one that gets runs). If you are successful you will have a very glossy finish without having to colour sand etc. If not totally happy you can procede with the colour sanding procedures; I personally like to avoid this step. Remember glossy black is evil for showing any imperfections. You'll probably have to live with some imperfections. If it's a totally flat horizontal piece it's easier to reach perfection.
    good luck

Forum Regular
    http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...daytonmtm.html

Have fun.

I personally am interested in this as well. I have used the high-gloss wilsonart laminate - it's gorgeous! - for coffee tables, av racks, etc. I'm considering it on a speaker, but it is very stiff (could only go on completely flat surfaces and will NOT bend around a corner). You'd have to apply it to each side carefully trimming and matchin, and even so you'd still have little seams for every change of plane.

Painting works.. i know.. it just takes *forever*

Krylon black gloss spraypaint works great. Then get a high gloss clear enamel spray for the top. if you go to an auto paint store you can also get a gloss "polisher" paint, which basically is just a thicker clear coat.

The trick for the gloss paint is to build up slowly in layers, and wet sand before the final coat. On the final coat spray HEAVY but NOT so heavy that it DRIPS.

Good luck!

Thread Information