Thread: MadMax any new

Forum Regular

MadMax any new

Was wondering if they came out with a new MadMax in DTS? Havent seen it and i love this movie as you can tell!

Nope, none of the Region 1 DVDs for the Mad Max series have DTS soundtracks. The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome were among Warner's first batch of DVD titles, and as such, lack DTS soundtracks, skimp on the bonus features, and I'm not even sure if they provide anamorphic 16:9 enhancement either. These last two titles are long overdue for a new special edition treatment. (MGM already released a Special Edition DVD of the original Mad Max in 2002 with 5.1 DD and the original monophonic Aussie soundtrack, and newly produced featurettes)

Warner provides the least DTS support among the major studio groups, but over the last few years they have strung together probably the best series of special edition reissues out there. (Just today, they released five Fred Astaire-Ginger Rodgers titles with restored film elements and new supplemental features and commentary tracks.) And their upcoming Batman special edition anthology series will have all four Batman movies in new two-disc editions complete with DTS soundtracks. So, if the Mad Max movies ever get their due and Warner's treatment of the Batman series points to a change in direction regarding DTS, then DTS might be a possibility.

Forum Regular

Hope so!!

I sure hope so great movies!!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Nope, none of the Region 1 DVDs for the Mad Max series have DTS soundtracks. The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome were among Warner's first batch of DVD titles, and as such, lack DTS soundtracks, skimp on the bonus features, and I'm not even sure if they provide anamorphic 16:9 enhancement either. These last two titles are long overdue for a new special edition treatment. (MGM already released a Special Edition DVD of the original Mad Max in 2002 with 5.1 DD and the original monophonic Aussie soundtrack, and newly produced featurettes)

Warner provides the least DTS support among the major studio groups, but over the last few years they have strung together probably the best series of special edition reissues out there. (Just today, they released five Fred Astaire-Ginger Rodgers titles with restored film elements and new supplemental features and commentary tracks.) And their upcoming Batman special edition anthology series will have all four Batman movies in new two-disc editions complete with DTS soundtracks. So, if the Mad Max movies ever get their due and Warner's treatment of the Batman series points to a change in direction regarding DTS, then DTS might be a possibility.
    I am surprised that Warner is going to include Dts on any of their titles. The vowed after the Twister special edition and the Lethal Weapon series not to include Dts on any more of their releases. Their resoning is that the audible differences between each format is so subtle that it does not justify the inclusion of both to the detriment of special features.

I guess they wised up, and are getting with the program! Good move Warner.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by madmax1
    I sure hope so great movies!!
    Agreed, The Road Warrior/Mad Max 2 is one of my all-time favorite movies of any genre, and thus far I've refrained from buying the DVD in the hope that it will get reissued as a special edition sometime soon. I've seen stores selling the DVD for as little as $5, so I might wind up buying it anyway because it at least has a 5.1 soundtrack, and all of my previous viewings of the movie at home and in theatres have been via two-channel soundtracks.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    As some of us should already know, even after their promised involvement in the Digital Theater System program more actively AFTER Twister, Warner has not made attempts to supply most of their product with DTS track options --- the last one I was witness to was EXORCIST: THE BEGINNING. It is of common knowledge that most of the time when this studio is involved with their cohorts Morgan Creek, you have a better chance of seeing a DTS mix pop up on one of their releases; otherwise, this is a studio usually criticized by reviewers for continuously dropping Dolby Digital-only tracks on their discs, many of which simply do not impress, as I found with their latest release, Constantine.

Thread Information