Audio Enthusiast

i need help with power cable decision

vh audio vs signal cable? does anyone have any thoughts or recomendations or advice?

Suspended
    You might want to check out the CryoMax power cables or make your own CryoMax power cable for a lot less money www.cryo-parts.com

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

And the...

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM C WALDECKER 3RD
    vh audio vs signal cable? does anyone have any thoughts or recomendations or advice?
    ...results you expect are...?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Suspended
    They talk about these cables a lot on the audio circles forum, some say they are the best cables they ever tried www.realitycables.com made by Gregg Straley

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundideas
    They talk about these cables a lot on the audio circles forum, some say they are the best cables they ever tried www.realitycables.com made by Gregg Straley
    Thanks! I'm toying with the idea of swapping out the power cord on my power conditioner...it's just one cord but there are 8 components plugged into it. Hopefully, replacing all 9 power cords won't be necessary to hear a sonic benefit. Quite frankly, I think I'd give up if replacing the cord on just the PLC didn't do anything.

The Collector
    Make your own power cord, its cheaper and you'll probably get better quality, get some shielded 12/3 and a good IEC connector and a good Edison and you are all set. But I doubt you will hear a difference. If its not 12 gauge on their that might be the only reason to upgrade

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    Make your own power cord, its cheaper and you'll probably get better quality, get some shielded 12/3 and a good IEC connector and a good Edison and you are all set. But I doubt you will hear a difference. If its not 12 gauge on their that might be the only reason to upgrade
    I believe the cord on my conditioner is 10 guage if memory serves. And I couldn't make a power cord if my life depended on it! I'd prefer to stick with the experts... Kimber, Nordost, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    I believe the cord on my conditioner is 10 guage if memory serves. And I couldn't make a power cord if my life depended on it! I'd prefer to stick with the experts... Kimber, Nordost, etc.
    I have heard Nordost Valhallas perform wonderfully in HP's review system, but they are very pricey. I've also heard the Kimber Palladians in my system and found they bettered my JPS Labs AC+. I later auditioned and bought some Harmonic Tech Magics. Better still. More resolution, better depth cues.

rw

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I have heard Nordost Valhallas perform wonderfully in HP's review system, but they are very pricey. I've also heard the Kimber Palladians in my system and found they bettered my JPS Labs AC+. I later auditioned and bought some Harmonic Tech Magics. Better still. More resolution, better depth cues.

rw
    Yes, the Nordost Valhallas were my first choice for speaker cable and interconnects for my current system but I could not afford them, even on the used market. Besides, it's not exactly a buyer's market for those things on the secondary market these days! But they were clearly the best sonic choice.

By any chance do you use a power conditioner and did you still replace the cables on your components rather than just the conditioner?

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    Yes, the Nordost Valhallas were my first choice for speaker cable and interconnects for my current system but I could not afford them, even on the used market. Besides, it's not exactly a buyer's market for those things on the secondary market these days! But they were clearly the best sonic choice.

By any chance do you use a power conditioner and did you still replace the cables on your components rather than just the conditioner?
    Valhalla cable of all sorts is appropriate for the very best music systems like Harry's review system. While budgeting $35k on cables is overkill with most systems, it is not on a $350k system where every incremental improvement is desired and noticeable.

I have a Monster HT-3500 conditioner, but I use that with low current devices in my HT system. I plug the NAD T763 receiver directly into the wall (via a now hand-me-down JPS Labs AC+ cord).

In my main system, I ended up purchasing aftermarket cords for the components rather than going the conditioner route. My tube monoblocks can pull 1200 watts each, so they are not good candidates for running through a conditioner unless it is huge. They got the new Harmonic Tech cables.

rw

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Valhalla cable of all sorts is appropriate for the very best music systems like Harry's review system. While budgeting $35k on cables is overkill with most systems, it is not on a $350k system where every incremental improvement is desired and noticeable.

I have a Monster HT-3500 conditioner, but I use that with low current devices in my HT system. I plug the NAD T763 receiver directly into the wall (via a now hand-me-down JPS Labs AC+ cord).

In my main system, I ended up purchasing aftermarket cords for the components rather than going the conditioner route. My tube monoblocks can pull 1200 watts each, so they are not good candidates for running through a conditioner unless it is huge. They got the new Harmonic Tech cables.

rw
    My conditioner produces adequate power for all my components. I'm not sure a power cable is going to do anything further for my system but I'm always open to possibilities!

Thread Information