AR Newbie Registered Member

Build me a system

Hi home theater experts. Just moved to Savannah GA. and will be looking for a new home. One of the big aspects of this house will be the A/V system.Currently I have outdated equipment that is at the minimum 10 years old except for the CD player and the DVD player.

Looking to put together a new system. The heart of the system needs to be of good quality, especially the amplifier section. Not being up on all of the technology I need your help in suggestions in ths pros and cons. I do like Yamaha but will not rule out other manufacturers. User friendly should also be considered.

Planning on a 50 inch DLP for my video, but again will not rule out other options.

As far as speakers, I am looking for great sound as we all are at a reasonable price.

I have noticed that some new systems can play 2 sources at the same time. I really like this feature, but just don't know where to start. Auditioning these components is of the utmost importance. If I can't hear and see it first hand then I probably will be very hesitant in buying.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Price range is from$5000.00 to $7000.00 with cabling. Less money with good quality would be even better.

Forum Regular
    Well on the TV issue, I definetly recommend Samsung DLP's, possibly even the new 1080p. I own a 50" Samsung DLP and it is AMAZING!! There are other manufacturers that make DLP, such as RCA, but samsung has definitely integrated it the best. I love it so much that now I am purchasing a DLP projector (Infocus 7210). Plus, when a DLP tv goes out, you just have to replace the bulb, not the entire screen like in plasmas. Also, I hope you plan on buying a DVD that can upcovert, I've heard it does wonders for video quality (which is upconverted from 480p-->720p).

I hope this helps. I myself am having a dilema on receivers and speakers to choose. I think I'm deciding on the Jamo E750 and its corresponding speakers totaling a 6.1 surround setting for about $2,200. I also plan on returning a JVC receiver I just bought, and go for a more quality receiver like Intgegra 7.4 (The upscale of Onkyo [as Acura is to Honda]) for only $1,400. Spend the rest on the TV and cables and you'll be done under $7,000

NOTE: If you are building your house, get the speaker wire in before the sheetrock goes up.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the info on the TV. Never knew that Samsung was building higher quality gear. This is good to know. As far as an upconverting DVD, the units I have do not fall into this category. Actually never heard of this before either. Guess I am way behind the times. Will check out the receivers you mentioned also, but would like to see them first hand.

Forum Regular
    There is a Panasonic DVD player that is an upconverter and is about $275 at www.vanns.com. I just ordered this a few days ago and am waiting for it eagerly. You could spend anywhere from $500 to $3,5000 on a upconversion DVD player, but I really don't think it is worth it. You see, our regular DVD's will be now trumphed by higher quality discs. The fight is between Sony's Blue Rays and HD/DDVD's. So soon, you will have to purchase a player that play those discs.....so don't spend too much on your DVD player now.

Thread Information