Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

WOOHOO! Wireless internet rocks!!!

Quite literally. I finally got my laptop set up on a wireless internet connection. So now I can work from home on my laptop while listening to internet radio on my desktop.

Soooooo cool!

Suspended

so did you consider the warnings

How did you set it up??? MAC address only?? Do not broadcast SSID!!! You don't want your neighbors or people sitting in front of your house to have access to your network and internet.

What router did you use?

Uh, congratulations & welcome to the 21st Century.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Quite literally. I finally got my laptop set up on a wireless internet connection. So now I can work from home on my laptop while listening to internet radio on my desktop.

Soooooo cool!
    You Canadians are just a bit slow with your technology I suppose. .^)

Swisheroo
    Last edited by Swish; 08-02-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    How did you set it up??? MAC address only?? Do not broadcast SSID!!! You don't want your neighbors or people sitting in front of your house to have access to your network and internet.

What router did you use?
    I spent 2 hours on the phone with a very lovely man in India who helped me set everything up securely. We put in key codes so that only my two computers with the correct codes can access my account. I'm trusting that what he guided me through doing was correct. He seemed very knowledgable.

I may have my brother come over on the weekend with his laptop to see if he can get on my network. I figure that the best way to test the security is to try to break through it.

The router is an SMC Wireless - G. With rebates, I end up paying $69.99 for the router AND the wireless PC card. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. The Linksys equivalent was $149.00.

Linksys for $149?! What a ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I spent 2 hours on the phone with a very lovely man in India who helped me set everything up securely. We put in key codes so that only my two computers with the correct codes can access my account. I'm trusting that what he guided me through doing was correct. He seemed very knowledgable.

I may have my brother come over on the weekend with his laptop to see if he can get on my network. I figure that the best way to test the security is to try to break through it.

The router is an SMC Wireless - G. With rebates, I end up paying $69.99 for the router AND the wireless PC card. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. The Linksys equivalent was $149.00.
    My Wireless G router with Speed Booster was about $50 at Best Buy, and I think the card for my wife's PC was about $20 - both after generous rebates. I can't imagine anyone charging $149 for them, but I guess they're out there.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I can't imagine anyone charging $149 for them, but I guess they're out there.
    Yeah, but remember that's Canadian dollars, so that's really, like, 2 cents. Or something.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

phile under audio
    Wireless 802.11g is handy......when it actually works. My apartment is now rid of messy blue cables but I constantly need to reset my router and the signal drops out all the time.

Security should not be an issue provided WEP 128bit encryption is used. If you're forntunate enough to use an IBM Thinkpad (awesome notebooks in their own right) they actually take wireless security a step further with their own proprietary technology.

Forum Regular
    change channels if you are having problems
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Thread Information