The Year of Our Lord, 1979...

...The Musical Gospel according to MAF....

Pulled out this comp from those yearly ones a bunch of folks did a while ago and remembered how much I liked this disc, how much great music came out in that time period, and got inspired to start digging through records from the era.

Great tracks on there from Stiff Little Fingers, The Jam, Gang of Four, XTC, B-52's and more. I like how rather than strictly staying with the punk/post punk kinda stuff, its also got tracks from Pink Floyd's The Wall, Neil Young, and Rickie Lee Jones.

Being burned from vinyl is an added bonus for me. What kinda table and such did ya use? Sounds really good throughout.

After listening on my way to and home from a party this weekend, the next morning it had me pulling out records from B-52's (Wild Planet), Talking Heads (More Songs about Buildings and Food), Public Image Limited (First Edition), Tom Tom Club, Siouxsie & the Banshees (Juju) and more. Even went off ah a tangent and remembered my old Kurtis Blow records as well as Prince's Dirty Mind and What Time is It?

OK...now I'm ramblimng, but it was just a fun listen and I really liked how after listening, it had me digging through my own records to find stuff from the same era. A fun listen that inspired more fun listening...amnd it was great that even the wife loves this era too, so we actually sat around for a few hours Sunday morning listening together.

This is one I'm copying for Fall Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    ...The Musical Gospel according to MAF....

Pulled out this comp from those yearly ones a bunch of folks did a while ago and remembered how much I liked this disc, how much great music came out in that time period, and got inspired to start digging through records from the era.

Great tracks on there from Stiff Little Fingers, The Jam, Gang of Four, XTC, B-52's and more. I like how rather than strictly staying with the punk/post punk kinda stuff, its also got tracks from Pink Floyd's The Wall, Neil Young, and Rickie Lee Jones.

Being burned from vinyl is an added bonus for me. What kinda table and such did ya use? Sounds really good throughout.

After listening on my way to and home from a party this weekend, the next morning it had me pulling out records from B-52's (Wild Planet), Talking Heads (More Songs about Buildings and Food), Public Image Limited (First Edition), Tom Tom Club, Siouxsie & the Banshees (Juju) and more. Even went off ah a tangent and remembered my old Kurtis Blow records as well as Prince's Dirty Mind and What Time is It?

OK...now I'm ramblimng, but it was just a fun listen and I really liked how after listening, it had me digging through my own records to find stuff from the same era. A fun listen that inspired more fun listening...amnd it was great that even the wife loves this era too, so we actually sat around for a few hours Sunday morning listening together.

I just dug it out of my cd vault and will play it later today. He did an awesome job on this one.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I just dug it out of my cd vault and will play it later today. He did an awesome job on this one.

Swish
    Sounds like a great comp!

How can I get my hands on one? Anyone willing to trade for, say, an XTC, Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack, or Rush comp??

Thanks for the kind words

This is a comp that really made itself, with so many musical riches to choose from in '79. It would be tough to make a comp that wasn't at least interesting.

I can't recall if this was made from my present rig...Audiomeca Romance/Romeo, turntable/arm, with a Clearaudio Vitruoso MM cartridge, or my former rig...VPI HW 19 Mk. IV/JMW10 table/arm, with a Lyra Helikon cartridge, I think it was probably the latter. They both have their strengths, the Audiomeca is light on its feet with excellent pace, and the VPI set-up is rich and lush with superb soundstage reproduction. The cartridge in the VPI is much better than the Clearaudio.

I really liked how after listening, it had me digging through my own records to find stuff from the same era. A fun listen that inspired more fun listening...amnd it was great that even the wife loves this era too, so we actually sat around for a few hours Sunday morning listening together.
    Happy to hear that it brought back such memories, and especially that it played a part in some quality time enjoyed between you and your sig. other.
    Quote Originally Posted by daigoro
    How can I get my hands on one?
    Be happy to hook you up, pretty sure I still have a copy. PM your coordinates.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Thread Information