Forum Regular

Question Quality Home Audio for an Apartment Bedroom?

Howdy,

I'm in the market for a good audio system for my 12x12 foot apartment bedroom. I would like to spend $400-500 before shipping & taxes.
    I would use this system primarily for listening to rock concerts on 5.1 Dolby Digital DVDs, and listening to CD/DVD-A discs. Considering that this will be a bedroom set up, I am not sure if I should go with a home theater in a box, or a shelf system. My space is truly limited....

I am currently looking at the Panasonic SC-HT930 home theater in a box system.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SC...?tag=pdtl-list
    Looks like a great unit for my needs, only draw back is that the SC-HT930 does offer true 5.1 Dolby Digital output, as the receiver does not have digital inputs.

Would this unit even fit in my bedroom without looking awkward?

I've got a Toshiba SD-4900 DVD Player with on board 5.1 Dolby Digital Decoder, and DTS support as well, so a system that includes a DVD player is not a must. Though a multidisc changer would be icing on the cake.

I must also keep in mind that I am required to respect my room mate, in regards to loud, intrusive, music.

I am a total newbie when it comes to proper home audio equipment, and would appreciate any assistance that was given.
    I don't want to make a financial mistake.

Regards,

Milan

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Personally I would avoid home theater in a box -- 2 good channels is better than 5 lousy ones and home theater in a box set-ups are pretty lousy. May as well have five clock radios surrounding you. You will of course not get surround channels...but to be frank I would buy a good inexpensive set of front speakers such as the Audio Note AX-Two or perhaps cheaper Energy C3 or C5 as your front speakers. Then find some speakers at a pawn shop for $30.00 to use a rear speakers(probably will be way better than the home theater in a Box anyway. As for a center -- perhaps the matching center from Energy or run your receiver in phantom mode.

The subwoofers in the Home theater in a Box are not true subwoofers.

If you really really want a surround system then the Energy Take Five system is pretty decent but I would not pay more than $500.00US for it. There is also an Inexpensive one from Mission loudspeakers that have been discontinyued which is pretty decent as well as from Athena Acoustics. The latter is the least expensive and pretty good and can be found at one of the big box chains. Here in Canada it's Future Shop which in the US I believe is Best Buy. Athena is owned by the same group that owns Energy and Mirage.

For your budget, forget about multichannel for the time being. Focus on getting a decent receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers that best suits your listening preferences.

The weakness on HTIB systems is mostly with the speakers, and there's no substitute for a set of timbre matched speakers all the way around that can accurately extend down to at least 60 Hz (assuming that the receiver's crossover is set to the typical standard of 80 Hz) and a real subwoofer that can take you the rest of the way down. HTIB speakers typically leave huge frequency gaps, and as RGA mentioned, the subwoofers included are not true subwoofers because they have to handle parts of the midrange. I would also avoid integrated receivers that have the DVD player built in because DVD players tend to break more easily, and with integrated units, if one breaks they both go to the repair shop.

If multichannel is your goal, then you should get a home theater receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Keep adding speakers as your budget allows and adjust your system accordingly. If you can bump up your budget to about $700, then that will allow you to get a better featured receiver for future upgrades and give you better options with the speakers.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your input Woochifer, right now I am thinking about getting the Sony MHC-GX9900 2005 model shelf system, as it fits my needs and space requirements. I've tested this systen out and am impressed with the quality for the price. Still thinking about it....

Milan

If you want to do discrete multichannel formats such as 5.1 DD, DTS or DVD-A, the Sony mini system you tried out won't do it. It may come with four speakers, but I did not see anything in there about the system taking a multichannel input, so it's basically creating a surround effect using two-channel sources. I don't see how it can meet your needs when you're talking about 5.1 DD and DVD-A.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    If you want to do discrete multichannel formats such as 5.1 DD, DTS or DVD-A, the Sony mini system you tried out won't do it. It may come with four speakers, but I did not see anything in there about the system taking a multichannel input, so it's basically creating a surround effect using two-channel sources. I don't see how it can meet your needs when you're talking about 5.1 DD and DVD-A.

I've done some thinking, and am not sure if a 5.1 set up would sound ideal in my tiny bedroom. Not to mention all the wires that I would have to run around the room, which could cause accidents.

Also, don't have the know how to properly build my own sound system. Therefore I was thinking that I should be more realistic about my bedroom/living space and get a shelf system. Should probably wait until I get my own place to build a proper home theater set up. In the mean time, I would probably receive a great deal of enjoyment out of the Sony MHC-GX9900.

Milan

I don't recommend that....

If you're looking for two channel stereo then I would get one of these off e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-HK...QQcmdZViewItem

The 3380, which I purchased, is outstanding in my bedroom. More than enough power and it's also a bit cheaper. I won a bid on this for $135. I've seen them go for less and more so it's just depends on how bad you want it.

I also have a pair of speakers that rival major brands for sale if you so desire. They are a 3 way bookshelf for $200. Here is a link to them (you will need MS Word or the MS Word reader to see it):

http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/word_docs/DayPeerDay.doc

These are very nice speakers and measure very flat. Pretty much +/- 1db. Not to efficient but you don't need efficiency in a bedroom because of the room gain. I would say that these speakers are better than what 90% of the public has. If you're interested email me. My email link is on my page. Regards, Paul.

Oh, I also have a pair of AR.Coms

for sale. Email for info on these too.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

You may want to...

...take a look at the Onkyo MC35TECH mini-system...it's certainly in your price range...and it actually looks like a bona-fide hi-fi set up, not a clock-radio-cum-boombox...I used to like some Sony stuff but they have dropped way down on my list...

The Onkyo has a separate receiver and a separate 3-disc changer...if one of the units goes bad, you could still actually use the other one as a separate component. It also has some fairly sophisticated looking(and pretty decent sounding) bass-reflex speakers...

Now, I can't find the Sony model you specified at the Sony site but that wattage specification is way overblown...plus if it's anything like some of the units they are currently marketing, it's rating is per FTC at 10%Total Harmonic Distortion measured from 120Hz-10kHz...hardly a spec to be proud of...The Onkyo unit has 20Wpc but, they are real RMS Watts...Both Channels Driven into 4Ohms@ 0.6%THD...even into an 8 Ohm load it's 15 WPC...you would be surprised at how loud 15-20 clean, honest Watts can be...and the speakers are 6 Ohms so figure 17-18 Wpc.

There are 30 presets for the tuner, multiple inputs, tone controls and pre-set tone contours that actually work quite nicely and a remote...and convenience outlets...there's even a mixed-mono sub output to which you could add, say...a Polk self-powered 50 Watt sub and have one really nice and compact system.

I own the mini-system myself and am highly impressed by it and as I suggested it is flexible, quality gear, with metal cases and faceplates, with the potential to grow with one or even two subs...it's like real hi-fi only smaller...

jimHJJ(...then there are some Denon systems, but the price really goes up...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by rockphantom
    I've done some thinking, and am not sure if a 5.1 set up would sound ideal in my tiny bedroom. Not to mention all the wires that I would have to run around the room, which could cause accidents.

Also, don't have the know how to properly build my own sound system. Therefore I was thinking that I should be more realistic about my bedroom/living space and get a shelf system. Should probably wait until I get my own place to build a proper home theater set up. In the mean time, I would probably receive a great deal of enjoyment out of the Sony MHC-GX9900.

Milan
    You've already mentioned that you already have a DVD/CD player, and this mini-system includes a CD player. If you're pressed for space, you could still go for a multichannel receiver and start with two speakers. A receiver can handle the 5.1 decoding and give you a virtual surround DSP mode for use with two, three, or four speakers using the 5.1 signal from the DVD player.

The biggest weakness with these HTIBs and mini-systems is almost always the speakers. Before you make a final decision, I suggest that you try out some bookshelf speakers and give those a close listen. They would probably take up less shelf space than the speakers on that Sony system because most bookshelf speakers use smaller drivers and narrower enclosures with less wasted space for decoration.

By going with a multichannel receiver and two bookshelf speakers, you give yourself upgradability and a lot of flexibility with the system configuration options. You will have the heart of the system in place, and a full-blown home theater setup only requires adding the extra speakers and the subwoofer. A two-channel mini-system might meet your current needs, but when you decide to go home theater, you'd be starting all over from point zero.

Forum Regular
    Thanks again for the info! I will definitely look into purchasing a quality receiver and speakers. What type of speakers and receiver would you recommend for someone in my position, Woochifer?

Regards,

Milan
    Last edited by rockphantom; 08-03-2005 at 03:49 PM.

I must also keep in mind that I am required to respect my room mate, in regards to loud, intrusive, music
    Good sound quality will seem to sound a lot less loud than the typical home equipment sound, it's just less intrusive. Your problem will most likely be bass energy. Better sound systems usually have better bass and most modern construction techniques (i.e. drywall and 2x4s) are pretty much transparent to bass.

If you do a good job, I think your roomate is more likely to ask you to turn it on rather than off.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...take a look at the Onkyo MC35TECH mini-system...it's certainly in your price range...and it actually looks like a bona-fide hi-fi set up, not a clock-radio-cum-boombox...I used to like some Sony stuff but they have dropped way down on my list...

The Onkyo has a separate receiver and a separate 3-disc changer...if one of the units goes bad, you could still actually use the other one as a separate component. It also has some fairly sophisticated looking(and pretty decent sounding) bass-reflex speakers...

Now, I can't find the Sony model you specified at the Sony site but that wattage specification is way overblown...plus if it's anything like some of the units they are currently marketing, it's rating is per FTC at 10%Total Harmonic Distortion measured from 120Hz-10kHz...hardly a spec to be proud of...The Onkyo unit has 20Wpc but, they are real RMS Watts...Both Channels Driven into 4Ohms@ 0.6%THD...even into an 8 Ohm load it's 15 WPC...you would be surprised at how loud 15-20 clean, honest Watts can be...and the speakers are 6 Ohms so figure 17-18 Wpc.

There are 30 presets for the tuner, multiple inputs, tone controls and pre-set tone contours that actually work quite nicely and a remote...and convenience outlets...there's even a mixed-mono sub output to which you could add, say...a Polk self-powered 50 Watt sub and have one really nice and compact system.

I own the mini-system myself and am highly impressed by it and as I suggested it is flexible, quality gear, with metal cases and faceplates, with the potential to grow with one or even two subs...it's like real hi-fi only smaller...

jimHJJ(...then there are some Denon systems, but the price really goes up...)

The Onkyo MC35TECH sounds really nice, definitely interested in that unit. Took a quick look at the Onkyo website and was quite impressed with it's specs and size...

BTW here is the link for the Sony specs

http://www.motivation.sony.com/motivation/productline_modeldetail.asp?pID=MHCGX9900&pMSRP=$0.00

Milan
    Last edited by rockphantom; 08-03-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    You're probably looking at about $300 for a receiver and $200 for the speakers. I would regard this as the bare minimum you can get away with if you're looking to start a system that you can add onto that doesn't require starting over when you decide to go home theater.

Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, harman/kardon, and Marantz all make decent entry level receivers that fit your price range. Don't worry about the power ratings -- the differences at this level won't make much of a difference for everyday listening.

Speakers in your price range include Paradigm, Klipsch, Athena, Boston Acoustics, JBL, Infinity, Polk, and several others make bookshelf speakers in your price range. Make sure that you do a lot of listening.

Thanks again Woochifer, I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, all of this information is extremely confusing to an audio newbie...

Milan

Thanks again for the info! I will definitely look into purchasing a quality receiver and speakers. What type of speakers and receiver would you recommend for someone in my position, Woochifer?
    You're probably looking at about $300 for a receiver and $200 for the speakers. I would regard this as the bare minimum you can get away with if you're looking to start a system that you can add onto that doesn't require starting over when you decide to go home theater.

Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, harman/kardon, and Marantz all make decent entry level receivers that fit your price range. Don't worry about the power ratings -- the differences at this level won't make much of a difference for everyday listening.

Speakers in your price range include Paradigm, Klipsch, Athena, Boston Acoustics, JBL, Infinity, Polk, and several others make bookshelf speakers in your price range. Make sure that you do a lot of listening.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Rockphantom...

...well that power spec on the Sony is as I suspected it's still a rating at 10% distortion within a bandwidth of 120Hz-10kHz...not impressive...Plus that website highlights Sony's Premium Incentive Program...In case you aren't aware of this, many companies offer "incentives" or "gifts" to their employees for reaching specific goals or as anniversary gifts or some such...this is the case with the info at this site...trust me, they aren't giving away the pick-of-the-litter, so to speak...such plans usually offer last year's model or poor sellers...IMHO, this is something to be considered...in fact that MSRP$0.00 may indicate even they no longer offer this model.

I did find it at CC(or was it BB?) but I'd still hesitate with the Sony, but that's just me!

As Wooch stated, you really would be better off with "real" hi-fi(even if low-end, price wise)...I realize that as an audiophyte it can be confusing, but we all started out in the same predicament so it's no biggie...Ask us questions...that's pretty much why the majority of us hang out here. And besides, getting info here is preferable to getting it from a "sales ASSociate" who probably hasn't a clue other than to "push" specific items!

First thing to consider is your budget...which you seem to have arrived at...Next is chosing decent stereo or mediocre multi-channel(sorry, but there ARE very definite limitations and compromises at this and ALL price levels). Then, listen to speakers in your price-range and slightly above it...the speakers will dictate the power you will require... then the receiver. From there, we can at least give you some options and advice. Check out the websites of the brands mentioned, most of them are great sources of info.

And as Wooch also said...listen...listen...listen...it's your cash and YOU have to be satisfied...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Thanks again for the input.

The MHC-GX9900 Sony system was released in May of 2005 and replaces, the 2004 Model GX9000.

Hopefully, I can put together a decent system while sticking with my budget...

Having 'tin ears' won't make this easy for me.

Milan

Thanks again for the input.

The MHC-GX9900 Sony system was released in May of 2005 and replaces, the 2004 Model GX9000.

Hopefully, I can put together a decent system while sticking with my budget...

Having 'tin ears' won't make this easy for me.

Milan
    Has nothing to do with tin ears -- has everything to do with getting out there and trying stuff out. Listen to the bookshelf speakers, go to local independent stores (a lot of the better speakers are not sold through big box chains), try out the receivers. Ask questions, look up the information online, and don't be afraid to take your time. HTIBs and mini-systems are all-in-one packages geared for consumers who want everything at the same time. Components give you flexibility for future upgrades and are not that much more expensive, yet provide much higher performance.

Here are a couple of ideas:

Do you have a PC? With a Santa Cruz ot Audigy coundcard and a DVD-drive you should be able to get pretty good 5.1 sound. The weak point of these are the powere speakers, but if you already have most of the electronics in your PC or laptop you can spend more on the speakers.

The weakest part of the of HT-in-a-box is the speakers. If you go this way, you might consider when your budget allows substituting better speakers for the right and left front speakers. Two example of possible substitutes (high performance to price ratio) are Gallo Micros and M&L k-5's. There are others.

A third possability to think about would be headphones. Good headphones with a good headphone amp will sound better than HT-in-a-box if you are comfortable with them. There are even some surrond headphones although I don't know how well these work
    http://www.drachen-audio.com

Thread Information