Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

3-D movies for home viewing?

I was reading Lex's review of the Amityville box set and noticed that Amityville 3-D is not presented in 3-D. The only 3-D movies I can recall from collection are Phil Tucker's masterpiece (tongue in cheek) Robot Monster on VHS by Rhino. You can tell that something 3-D-like is going on in some scenes, but whatever effects are there are not impressive, even with those stylish glasses, much like the movie itself. I also have a William Castle styled film on vhs that has something to do with a haunted house, castle or wax museum, but it's 3-D effects are not impressive either. Rhino released several 3-D B-movies like Cat Women of the Moon on vhs.

Most of these movies are presented in 2-D for their dvd release. However, I have come across a package set that includes a box that goes between your tv and dvd player, a 3-D movie - House on Haunted Hill, I think - and other accessories that reportedly is very effective in providing real 3-D for your home theater.

Can anyone recommend a 3-D movie that actually works at home?
    Last edited by dean_martin; 07-19-2005 at 06:44 PM.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I was reading Lex's review of the Amityville box set and noticed that Amityville 3-D is not presented in 3-D. The only 3-D movies I can recall from collection are Phil Tucker's masterpiece (tongue in cheek) Robot Monster on VHS by Rhino. You can tell that something 3-D-like is going on in some scenes, but whatever effects are there are not impressive, even with those stylish glasses, much like the movie itself. I also have a William Castle styled film on vhs that has something to do with a haunted house, castle or wax museum, but it's 3-D effects are not impressive either. Rhino released several 3-D B-movies like Cat Women of the Moon on vhs.

Most of these movies are presented in 2-D for their dvd release. However, I have come across a package set that includes a box that goes between your tv and dvd player, a 3-D movie - House on Haunted Hill, I think - and other accessories that reportedly is very effective in providing real 3-D for your home theater.

Can anyone recommend a 3-D movie that actually works at home?
    Dean,

First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking the time to read the Amityville review; with regard to your question, I can think of one DVD that comes with a pair of 3-D glasses in the box set when you buy the box set of the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET DVDs, and that is FREDDY'S DEAD: THE FINAL NIGHTMARE.....however, they didnt really work too well (the glasses).........

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    The only other that I can think of is Spy Kids 3, and it works fairly good on that DVD. Good depth in the image, but the colors are a little wacky thanks to the particular 3D process in use. Don't think the mean Dean would enjoy that kind of movie.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Hmmm, intereting post. My kid has Spy Kids 3 and we still have the glasses. I think I'll try it out. Should be interesting on a large widescreen. Thanks for the tip.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    The only other that I can think of is Spy Kids 3, and it works fairly good on that DVD. Good depth in the image, but the colors are a little wacky thanks to the particular 3D process in use. Don't think the mean Dean would enjoy that kind of movie.
    I didn't think I would enjoy that kind of movie initially, but I didn't know that Robert Rodriguez directed all 3. Plus, I haven't seen Ricardo Montalban in anything in years. It might be worth a look. (Oh, and I see that Salma Hayek and Mike Judge are in it too.)Thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Information