Forum Regular

Paradigm mini monitor vs. NHT super one

These would be powered with a 75 watt per channel yamaha reciever. I would also be using subwoofer. The speakers would not be placed on stands, but on a desk with just an inch between them and the back wall. If i decide to spend a bit more money i'm also interested in the paradigm monitor 3, but with my placement options, it might not be worth it. Any opinions?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eighthcircuit
    These would be powered with a 75 watt per channel yamaha reciever. I would also be using subwoofer. The speakers would not be placed on stands, but on a desk with just an inch between them and the back wall. If i decide to spend a bit more money i'm also interested in the paradigm monitor 3, but with my placement options, it might not be worth it. Any opinions?
    I have 2 pairs of SuperOnes. They are an acoustic suspension (sealed box) design. There's no port in the back. I've had greater flexibility in placement with these speakers compared to another ported bass reflex pair that I have to place on stands for best performance. With the SuperOnes handling just the upper mids and highs and your sub handling the rest I would think the SuperOnes would be a good choice. I drive both of mine with NAD integrateds that tend to have a warm sound or a little more bass energy. I use one pair in a system without a sub. This system is used in a bedroom primarily for music. I think the bass extension is adequate and what bass is evident is tight and controlled. I use the second pair with a sub in a system that's used mainly for movies. The SuperOnes are in the cabinets of an entertainment center. (I tried a ported pair in these cabinets with poor results.) As a general rule, I set the sub's crossover at 80HZ for music and 100HZ for movies, but sometimes it varies depending on the source material.

I haven't heard the mini monitors in a long time so I can't make any comparison comments.

Forum Regular
    Personally I would opt for the NHT Superones if it were me. Being that close to the wall will not do the mini or the monitor 3 justice and will sound too boomy. However, there is a big difference between the mini's and the monitor 3's. I find the 3's to be much more open and airy while producing a much larger soundstage. On the other hand, the mini's sound a bit boxy and somewhat restrained almost blanketed if you will in the upper registers. Good luck on your choice. Have a great day.
    Phil
    F: MTX AAL 212B Towers
    C: Paradigm CC-170 v.3
    R: Paradigm Titans v.3
    S: Paradigm PS-1000 v.4
    RCA 27" Widescreen HDTV w/DVI
    Z-Lines TV Stand
    Samsung HD DVD-841 w/DVI
    Yamaha RXV-650 95X7 rms and YPAO
    Esoteric Cables

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I own the SuperOnes and I have used them wall and stand mounted in the 6 years I have owned them. They performed well close to the wall. The speakers have a very neutral midrange and I find the highs non fatiguing but not as extended as some. I like the black finish and the cabinets feel very solid. I have enjoyed the SuperOnes longer than any other speaker I have owned.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information