Thread: Saturday Tunes

Saturday Tunes

Any music happening yet on the big holiday weekend? This morning I listened to that brilliant debut from Wayne Robbins and the Hellsayers that I like so much, The Lonesome Sea. Sounds better than ever. And then seamlessly segued into that great Autolux debut album from last year that is easily one of my recent favorites too. Guess they both have kind of a retro sound. Maybe that's why they make me feel so good. One is a slick LA-based T-Bone Burnett production for Sony's DMZ affiliate, while the other is so indie you can't even buy it at a place like amazon.com, but both tickle some of the same monkey bones for me

Any good tunes playing in your holiday retreat?

Live 8 on AOL

missed REM and Muse

caught UB40, they were really good.

Snow Patrol is up next.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Got the State baseball tournament going on today. My team isn't playing but another team asked Mason to play for them this weekend. So far 2-0. Haven't had too much time for music, but when I did it was a 1998 Alphaville bootleg, about to be followed by by a 2002 Cranberrries show. I think this next one is either a pre-fm recording or a SBD so I'm looking forward to it.

At the same time I'm looking for a used 5 channel amp online. Never had a amp so I'm excited about the prospect.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I picked up the latest Hood disc while on holiday in the UK last month and at 15 UK pounds it took several trips to the megastore to overcome the shock of the price... but I persevered.

I wonder how many dics these guys sell?

Outside Closer has less of the glitchy electronica of Cold House their previous release. Still plowing their own lonely furrow.

Well, I listened to Blue Merle - Burning in the Sun again. It doesn't get a lot of talk around here, but I like it. I also spun Peter Bruntnell - Ends of the Earth, and James Blunt - Back to Bedlam. Both are growing on me, esp. the Peter Bruntnell. And all are compliments of Mike (thanks amigo).

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

C-Z
    Forum Regular
    Not much very interesting - listened to some mood music - yikes, I had a date! Stuff like:
    Neal Schon - Beyond the Thunder
    Schuman, CPE Bach chamber music
    watched a few DVD concerts too

and:
    Dang-it, listened to the first half of your Twilight Comp again in the car

Like that indie thread, I am interested in expanding my horizons, so my ears perk up when I see albums that I have never even heard of talked about, like Wayne Robbins and the Hellsayers, and Autolux.

CZ

Can't remember what I listened to on Saturday specifically, but I didn't listen to a whole lot over the entire weekend, but these I remember:

Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins

Destroyer - Streethawk: A Seduction

Slayer - Reign In Blood

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

Moss Icon - Lyburnum

Hmmm, looking at this list, it wasn't the most light, poppy group of albums for the 4th weekend.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Can't remember what I listened to on Saturday specifically, but I didn't listen to a whole lot over the entire weekend, but these I remember:

So what do you think of that? I was tempted to get it when it came out because I love the cover and liked what I'd heard in the past. Guess they're kind of like the head of the old E6 class these days with NMH having not resurfaced in years and OTC seemingly split for good. Might be a little too happy and poppy for me though. At least right now. Do they get warm and moody at all? More Bowie than Beatles? I think one of the guys at fakejazz gave it a 12/12 but I have a hard time trusting them except on stuff I already know well, and others haven't been nearly as generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone

Destroyer - Streethawk: A Seduction

Slayer - Reign In Blood

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

Moss Icon - Lyburnum

Hmmm, looking at this list, it wasn't the most light, poppy group of albums for the 4th weekend.
    I've got questions about a couple of those albums...

How do you like the Sleater-Kinney, is it good enough for a casual fan like me to get? If it's just more of the same, or if it is more of the same but not the best example yet of their music, then I'll probably pass as the two albums I already have (Dig Me Out & All Hands on the Bad One) are probably enough to scratch any S-K itch that I may get.

Would I like Of Montreal? If so, what album to start with?
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    So what do you think of that? I was tempted to get it when it came out because I love the cover and liked what I'd heard in the past. Guess they're kind of like the head of the old E6 class these days with NMH having not resurfaced in years and OTC seemingly split for good. Might be a little too happy and poppy for me though. At least right now. Do they get warm and moody at all? More Bowie than Beatles? I think one of the guys at fakejazz gave it a 12/12 but I have a hard time trusting them except on stuff I already know well, and others haven't been nearly as generous.
    Quote Originally Posted by maf
    Would I like Of Montreal? If so, what album to start with?
    I really don't see either of you being a big fan of this album, but I've been wrong about these things before. If I were a betting man, I'd bet Mark would like it better than Dave, but it wouldn't come as a definite recommendation to Mark either. Most of it is very poppy and sunny indie pop, but with some nice elements thrown in that aren't normally found in straight ahead indie pop. In a few places in the second half it starts to get a bit more "experimental" but never drifts into the warm and moody arena. Definitely more Beatles than Bowie. Mark, this is the only album of theirs I own, so I'm not sure where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by ELT
    How do you like the Sleater-Kinney, is it good enough for a casual fan like me to get? If it's just more of the same, or if it is more of the same but not the best example yet of their music, then I'll probably pass as the two albums I already have (Dig Me Out & All Hands on the Bad One) are probably enough to scratch any S-K itch that I may get.
    Man, I love this album, but I also loved the last one too. It's definitely different from their past stuff, but not so much different that I'd say to a casual fan "You NEED this album." I think Fridmann's production really helps it - even though it isn't nearly as noticeable as it is on albums like The Soft Bulletin and the Delgado's Hate. It's still relatively new to me, but it is a contender for album of the year for me (disclaimer: I'm a big time SK fan). I still think Dig Me Out is their best, so you may want to pass on this one (or PM someone who has it if you want to preview it).
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Z
    Like that indie thread, I am interested in expanding my horizons, so my ears perk up when I see albums that I have never even heard of talked about, like Wayne Robbins and the Hellsayers, and Autolux.

CZ
    We had kind of a lovefest for the Hellsayers' album a few months back and one of their guitarists, Jonas Cole, even stopped by and chatted a bit after hearing of our love. If you do a search you'll turn up a bunch of posts. I did a little comp called Shake Those Monkey Bones and it had some Wayne Robbins and some Autolux too, and I sent out some demo copies of the Wayne Robbins disc cause I liked it so much after I read about it at the americana.uk site and ordered a copy from Wayne. And quite a few others liked it too. And ordered their own "real" copies. Not universal love, but a much higher percentage than I usually get on stuff I like

The Autolux has a few fans around here too and probably quite a few posts in the archive, although the search doesn't seem to be working now. Think I might've sent out my last copy of the Monkey Bones comp but I'll check tonight and let you know. I'm sure someone here could send you a copy if you want because I did send out quite a few. It was kind of a goofy thing that only a mother could love, but still had some fun tunes along the way

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/com...e_Monkey_Bones

Thread Information