Kam

Talking War of the Worlds

Kam-veat: I am a huge spielberg fan so was probably highly predisposed to like this film, and I did.

Kam-view:
    Spielberg's take on the alien invasion genre is certainly different from everyone elses... except for, ironically enough the filmmaker he inspired, Shymalan. It's the same idea as Signs, where a global invasion is seen only through the eyes of one family's experience. It's far greater in scale as far as the action and destruction that we see, as in this case, it's a a full scale extermination by the aliens whereas in Signs, we werent really sure how much 'destruction' was going on around the world. The big massive special effects spectacle, however, takes backstage, which i thoroughly enjoyed. The scene they've been showing in the trailer of the highway being ripped like paper and trucks flying everywhere is obscured by the windows and headrests of the van Cruise and fam are driving in.

Spielberg puts the human element forefront, and the special effects (while crazy in scope) are all taking place behind them. The only problem is one third of the human element, his son, is a horrible character. The dad is an interesting one, cruise plays a bit of a prick of a dad who goes through what he needs to, to save his family. I know cruise isn't the most loved actor here, but i am a fan of his and he really does what he does SO well. (just like the tom hanks 'everyday' man variation roles that hanks does so well). here he is believable as the prick dad or at least i believed him. have to say all the hoopla with the katie holmes propaganda it didnt bug me at all any more than it didnt diminish my enjoyment of Batman Begins.

The daughter by dakato fanning is a little strangely too good. it's almost as if they need to establish every character she plays as some sort of protege because she is just TOO good, TOO smart, TOO mature for her age that as a 'normal' kid, she's not really believable. Albeit i still liked her in this movie, she's great, but its scary how mature you can see she already is at ELEVEN.

The son... couldnt stand him, wanted him dead from the third scene he's in onwards, the rebellious teen character is SO overdone that even spielberg cant save it here. Also, while his motivation is somewhat understandable, his actions make you go, "WTF?" The only wasted character in the story, but with 4 main characters, that's a chunk to waste.

Tim Robbins was awesome as the survivalist who goes batty. And here is where this movie really distinguishes itself just as (IMO) Signs did as well. There is a HUGE battle raging just outside this farm house where the military is launching an offensive/defensive? strike and we see a glimpse of it as one alien machine rises over a crest in spectacular flames, and then cruise and daughter run into the basement being signalled to safety by Tim Robbins. They don't see any more of the battle... so neither do we.

Instead of focussing on the war between the aliens and man, it turns into this pysch drama as robbins and cruise go at it against each other emotionally, mentally, and then physically, while also avoiding an alien tentacle with shades of The Abyss and the Jurassic Park 'raptor kitchen scene rolled into one.

The storyline really follows the book (which i just finished yesterday as well). I never saw the original WOTW, so i dont know how it compares, but it captures the feel of the book quite well (Although in a direct comparison so fresh in my mind, i liked the book better). While a War of the Worlds is going on, we only see this one dad's war to save his family, finally bond with his children, to gain their respect, and grow up himself. It's a great chance for a character arc when you change from a prick to a hero in the wake of human extinction.

There is, however, the coolest shot since the mirror reversal shot in Contact. While driving away from the masses in a minivan, in one long (seemingly at least) continuous take, the camera starts on the driver's side of the car, enters through the rear window, stays in the back seat looking out the front window, then goes back out to the passenger side, pulls away from the car to reveal it in its entirety as the car swerves to avoid other cars, and then swings across the front of the car to go back to the driver side and then to the front hood... all while a tense dramatic scene unfolds between father and children as they escape from the attacking aliens. I am praying they didnt use ILM for this shot but that Janusz (spielberg's long time cinematographer) figured out some amazing way to pull it off. Look for this shot (early on after they get in the car and are speeding down the highway amid all the dead cars) and tell me what you think, or if you see any telltale cgi artifact signs.

Beautifully chilling imagery in the movie too, best shot being the clothes falling from the sky like snow as the family walks through the lighted forest... gave me chills.

OK, now everyone's favorite section:

Kam-rant:
    It's winter, or close to it with snow falling in some scenes, and they all jump in the freezing new england water, and get out, and no one shivers???
    Morgan Freeman's opening and closing voice overs sounded a little dead, the man has an unbelievabley emotive, "storytelling" voice, let him play! He sounded very monotone, which is tough given his natural range just when he speaks.
    That's it really, the rest of it is well thought out, and the suspension of belief rules keep throughout, they dont change the rules around as needed by the story, so an overall pretty weak Kam-rant section, but just wait for the Island, after seeing bay's latest summer blockbuster (albeit his first without producer bruckheimer) i am sure the kam-rant section will be back in full force.

(SIDE NOTE: King Kong trailer looks unbelievable. December can't get here soon enough.)

peace
    k2
    :d
    /create

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the review...I loved reading all of it.

I saw it early yesterday and I REALLY enjoyed it...and I was a HUGE fan of the original when I was a kid.

I thought the CGI was done very well...the alien fighting machines looked great and they looked pretty-much like on the book's cover(at least on some of the various releases of it) whereas the original movie just used traditional space ships.

One of my favorite scenes took place when Cruise and his family crawled ashore(yes, I couldn't believe they weren't going into hypothermia either...they screwed up there) and they're looking down at the scene below them...and then the group of alien fighting machines comes walking over the hill. How cool was that?!

I know the critics are killing this flick but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It'll be in my DVD collection the moment it's released.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam

There is, however, the coolest shot since the mirror reversal shot in Contact. While driving away from the masses in a minivan, in one long (seemingly at least) continuous take, the camera starts on the driver's side of the car, enters through the rear window, stays in the back seat looking out the front window, then goes back out to the passenger side, pulls away from the car to reveal it in its entirety as the car swerves to avoid other cars, and then swings across the front of the car to go back to the driver side and then to the front hood... all while a tense dramatic scene unfolds between father and children as they escape from the attacking aliens. I am praying they didnt use ILM for this shot but that Janusz (spielberg's long time cinematographer) figured out some amazing way to pull it off. Look for this shot (early on after they get in the car and are speeding down the highway amid all the dead cars) and tell me what you think, or if you see any telltale cgi artifact signs.

peace
    k2
    Fat chance ILM had nothing to do with it. Especially because Lucas and Speilberg are like best buddies. And that sounds like it's right up ILM's alley.

anyway, hopefully I can see this soon.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Forum Regular

Saw it last night

Have to say I was disappointed with it. Not that it was bad, but I was hoping for a little bit of greatness which has continued to elude Spielberg since Saving Private Ryan.

The aliens and CGI were great. The sense of scale and power of their machines was very well done and very menacing.

However, two things got on my nerves. While I like the idea of viewing the invasion from one man's POV, I really wasn't that interested in his relationship problems he had with his wife and his kids. I mean, when you have an apocalypse on your hands I think EVERYONE, including otherwise smug teenagers, will snap to attention and stop the bickering. For me, it doesn't add a "human element", it is just annoying.

The other thing is that they missed a chance to update the story a bit with regard to technology and, frankly, believability. *SLIGHT SPOILER AHEAD* I think that once the conventional weapons had failed utterly, the tac nukes would have been flying. Could have made for some great fight scenes. Also, the whole thing about the aliens dying from the flu is no longer a surprise ending...and never was believable. I mean, they plan far enough ahead to bury their war machines thousands (millions?) of years before their invasion, but they can't take the time to figure out if Earth is actually inhabitable for them?

I think they were on to something near the end when the people were being picked up and processed by the machines. This movie could have been a lot more horrific if it had kept up that tone. And really, isn't the extinction of the human race a pretty horrific premise? Why not keep it that way?

Still, I give the movie a B overall for entertainment value.

Talking Are you friggin' kiddin me???

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    The storyline really follows the book (which i just finished yesterday as well). I never saw the original WOTW, so i dont know how it compares, but it captures the feel of the book quite well (Although in a direct comparison so fresh in my mind, i liked the book better). While a War of the Worlds is going on.....
    What, you're joking. You da film guru that even I bow down to in reverence HAVE NOT SEEN the George Pal Masterpiece???!!!! Man are you kiddin me? Wow, I'm stunned. The noises that special effect were so ground breaking for it's day and in Technocolor it's even more amazing. The different colored death rays, the "we got the bomb" arrogance, the typical shrieking 50's female stupidity. Man you gotta see it.

Da "shaking his head in wonderment" Worfster

Kam

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    What, you're joking. You da film guru that even I bow down to in reverence HAVE NOT SEEN the George Pal Masterpiece???!!!! Man are you kiddin me? Wow, I'm stunned. The noises that special effect were so ground breaking for it's day and in Technocolor it's even more amazing. The different colored death rays, the "we got the bomb" arrogance, the typical shrieking 50's female stupidity. Man you gotta see it.

Da "shaking his head in wonderment" Worfster
    i know... am hanging head in shame.... and currently on ebay looking to remedy the situation....
    /create

Forum Regular
    I agree the original movie was fun to watch. especially the sound fx of the death rays pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew. Will try and see the new one this weekend when im visiting the ATL.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    This movie was fun to watch but a few points for the Kamster:

1) I don't mind Tom Cruise, but his role in this movie was insignificant and the acting was anything but noteworthy. It wasn't bad at all...it's just very average...There are at least 150 million other actors that could have played his role as good or better. That said, I'm not sure the character was really given enough of a chance to shine. The acting in this entire film was taking a far back seat to Spielberg's vision and cinemetogaphy...with the exception of the little girl...she should have been the girl in Jurassic Park. That 6th Sense kid has nothing on her...I was impressed...she's what? 7 years old maybe?

2) What a incredibly crappy way to end the film...no spoilers here, but let's just say it was very rushed and "oh, by the way"-ish....I assume this will be the first of 2 or 3 movies? That's okay..

3) There's no way that plane could have crashed by that house and not killed the family...

4) Aliens were kinda cool looking.

5) Why did the solenoids make cars go? something to do with inductive reactance?

6) King Kong does indeed look like a kick-ass movie!

All in all this was maybe a bit of a disappointment, but only because I expected too much...This was an above average film, worth seeing in theater. If there's more I can't wait!!!

Red face It was "Good" Not Great...

I enjoyed the film a great deal BUT I found something even more annoying than Jar Jar Binks and that's that friggin 7 year old kid. I hatted her. I hate it when they make kids annoying and the parents don't do what I would've done which is "slap da chite out of her". When she's panicing and screaming for her mom and nothing else while we're running for our collictive lives, I'd a ***** sllapped her to next week. Of course had Cruise even pretended to do that he'd be in court right now.

She was annoying as hell, the plot holes were big enough to drive a truck through... The worst was the idea that Electromagnetic Pulse would kill cars but leave a video camera running. EMP's kill microprocessors, the Van would've NEVER run while his Mustang, with it's old distributor and points system wouldn've been the ONLY thing running in the neighborhood.

As other's have said... why bury machines then come back when we monkeyboys are a problem. Why didn't you take the place when you buried them? Makes abosolutely no sense. BUT I did enjoy the film with all it's annoyiances. and hope they make a sequel. I'd enjoy that roller coaster ride again.

Da Worfster

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    This movie was fun to watch but a few points for the Kamster:

1) I don't mind Tom Cruise, but his role in this movie was insignificant and the acting was anything but noteworthy. It wasn't bad at all...it's just very average...There are at least 150 million other actors that could have played his role as good or better. That said, I'm not sure the character was really given enough of a chance to shine. The acting in this entire film was taking a far back seat to Spielberg's vision and cinemetogaphy...with the exception of the little girl...she should have been the girl in Jurassic Park. That 6th Sense kid has nothing on her...I was impressed...she's what? 7 years old maybe?

2) What a incredibly crappy way to end the film...no spoilers here, but let's just say it was very rushed and "oh, by the way"-ish....I assume this will be the first of 2 or 3 movies? That's okay..

3) There's no way that plane could have crashed by that house and not killed the family...

4) Aliens were kinda cool looking.

5) Why did the solenoids make cars go? something to do with inductive reactance?

6) King Kong does indeed look like a kick-ass movie!

All in all this was maybe a bit of a disappointment, but only because I expected too much...This was an above average film, worth seeing in theater. If there's more I can't wait!!!
    1 - she's 11, she was 7 when she did I Am Sam with ean penn. defnitely has an easy access to her emotions, but most kids do.

2 - the ending is exactly the same as it is in the book, and they even take a lot of morgan freeman's closing voice over from the pages as well, his opening voice over is from the first paragraph of the book. as far as i know, this was a 1 time thing, not a part of a trilogy, nothing was in the works other than this movie based on the book. even if it does huge business, i dont think a sequel is coming. speilberg already has projects greenlighted through '07. he's shooting now for his munich olympics movie with eric bana to be out this december in time for the oscar race (i think).

3 - ohhhhhhhhh ..... it might of.... just...... glanced off the top.... yeah.... that's it.

4 - i liked 'em too

5 - see worfster above

6 - unbelievably good. that t-rex/king kong fight... holy minkey!!

HAPPY 4TH!!
    k2
    /create

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Just saw it. It was ok. Strange how the van ran and there was always a path to drive through. Better effects then story. Another half hour would have went a long way.
    Look & Listen

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    The worst was the idea that Electromagnetic Pulse would kill cars but leave a video camera running.
    Hehehe. My husband works for JVC. I noticed this too and whispered to him, "why would the video camera still work when nothing else does?". His response? "It must be a JVC camera".

DOH! I shoulda known better!

Another thing about this movie that bugged me was that, in the end when Cruise returns his little girl to her home, the rest of her family (except her brother) is clean and coiffed. Mom looks like she just had her hair done; clothes clean; make-up on. C'mon people, the world is being blown to smithereens and you're dressed for church!

Let's make the stretch of an assumption that they have electricity and running water and are able to keep clean and do their hair. Why was the son such a mess still? Unless he walked into the house only seconds before, you'd think that he'd have washed up and changed his clothes.

Either way...makes no sense to me.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but it could have been a lot better. And the family stuff was just a little too cheesy for my tastes.

Forum Regular

Here's my review from another thread...

Checked it out last weekend with my dad. I liked it a lot...he LOVED it.

I thought the logic holes were far too glaring...even for Sci fi, for it to be a classic. How on earth did that pathetic, loser of a son survive on his own?
    Also, I thought him surviving deminished the impact of Cruise bringing back his ex-wifes daughter alive. She's probably like: "If this schmuck can make it back here on his own you better had brought my daugher back!".

Also, if the aliens either incinerated of sucked all the juices out of humans...what was with all those
    intact corpses flowing down the river bed that Fanning sees? There's more but I can't think of em' all now.

On the positive...I thought the acting was first rate...always a surprise in a summer blockbuster (especially after suffering through Star Wars), the effects were good enough...yeah the tripods were a little hokey...but I
    thought that added a nice 50's campyness to the whole thing. The pace and intensity was its biggest strength. I was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the entire movie.

I didn't take my 12 year old son (who I usually take to PG-13 films) because
    he was on a sleepover. I'm glad he was. I have no idea who Spielbucks paid off to get this to pass with a PG-13 but it was money well spent. People incenerated, split in half, quarters, eighths...you name it. All their blood and guts sucked out, then spewed across the country side. Cruise walking around with powdered human remains all over his face and body. And the intesity of that car jacking scene by itself should have garnered an R rating. I was shocked.

Overall I'll give it an 8.0/10. My dad gives it a 9.5/10.

I dont want to give out spoilers so i'll just be genreal here:

During the first half of the movie, i was convinced that this was the best movie i have ever seen, everything was amazing about it. Then in the second half, things got a little lame.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Some serious LFE.
    Look & Listen

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I have to say that I felt that this film was utterly pointless, devoid of any real emotion, long, boring, lacking any wonder that Spielberg used to muster. Even the effects are uninspired and I agree with Ebert on the stupid tripod things. It's a badly done alien (following the novella or not). Even the ending was lame.

Spoiler* Sorry, but aliens this advanced which supposedly have been plotting against us don't take the time to analyze certain airborn toxins and viruses? End Spoiler*

This is almost, though not quite as stupid as the laptop saving the world in Independence Day. Making a film on par with the moronic 9 year old boys like it Independence Day is bad enough but this film isn;t even as good -- at least Independance Day had a bit of fun with a little Tongue in Cheek humour.

It's IMO one of the worst Spielberg films and one of the worst in recent memory. I had no problems with the performances. It just seemed to me that the emotion was forced.

I give it

*1/2 / *****

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Thanks RGA

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I have to say that I felt that this film was utterly pointless, devoid of any real emotion, long, boring, lacking any wonder that Spielberg used to muster. Even the effects are uninspired and I agree with Ebert on the stupid tripod things. It's a badly done alien (following the novella or not). Even the ending was lame.

Spoiler* Sorry, but aliens this advanced which supposedly have been plotting against us don't take the time to analyze certain airborn toxins and viruses? End Spoiler*

This is almost, though not quite as stupid as the laptop saving the world in Independence Day. Making a film on par with the moronic 9 year old boys like it Independence Day is bad enough but this film isn;t even as good -- at least Independance Day had a bit of fun with a little Tongue in Cheek humour.

It's IMO one of the worst Spielberg films and one of the worst in recent memory. I had no problems with the performances. It just seemed to me that the emotion was forced.

I give it

*1/2 / *****
    For being so predictable.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Good point.

As other's have said... why bury machines then come back when we monkeyboys are a problem. Why didn't you take the place when you buried them? Makes abosolutely no sense. BUT I did enjoy the film with all it's annoyiances. and hope they make a sequel. I'd enjoy that roller coaster ride again.

Da Worfster
    Their whole idea is to have us do the hard work of developing the planet, and then exterminate us. Using people as fertilizer is probably the most sickening thing I've seen since Jason put on the mask. How this got a PG-13 is a mystery.

To me Spielburg went to far with the plane crash sequence though. Many people don't remember but in November of 2001 a plane with over 200 people crashed into a town only 15 miles from ground zero. Here in NY those crash scene images had a lot of people gasping. It just wasn't necessary, but you know Steven, he's gotta shock you.

He screwed up the ending too. I don't want to give it away, but he did the same "happily ever after" crap that he pulled in AI. After all that carnage he still has to have a happy ending. I cut a point off just for that.

My Rating

3.5/5
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Talking Ouch man...

Quote Originally Posted by RGA

I give it

*1/2 / *****
    Tell us how you REALLY feel!!!!!
    LOL, hey, no one ever accused you of NOT having an opinion. But tell the truth you're just jealous cause they gotter beeter blasters then you Daleks. C'mon, come clean now....

Da Worfster

I agree with every point you've made...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Their whole idea is to have us do the hard work of developing the planet, and then exterminate us. Using people as fertilizer is probably the most sickening thing I've seen since Jason put on the mask. How this got a PG-13 is a mystery.

To me Spielburg went to far with the plane crash sequence though. Many people don't remember but in November of 2001 a plane with over 200 people crashed into a town only 15 miles from ground zero. Here in NY those crash scene images had a lot of people gasping. It just wasn't necessary, but you know Steven, he's gotta shock you.

He screwed up the ending too. I don't want to give it away, but he did the same "happily ever after" crap that he pulled in AI. After all that carnage he still has to have a happy ending. I cut a point off just for that.

My Rating

3.5/5
    Very lucid and well thought out response with some very good points. One gold star fer you...

Da Worfster

RGA
    Forum Regular
    yeah but the Dalek looks cooler and they're 43 years old and had great voices -- see my avatar. Plus they had more than one kind of weapon. They have an X-ray gun and spray poison gas.

Plus the aliens in War of the World disintegrate people right? So why are dead bodies floating down the river? OOOPS!

Thread Information