Forum Regular

my Rega Planar 2 turntable is slow

Help, I purchased a vintage Rega Planar 2 turntable last year (w/ wood trim, glass platter) and i've been having speed problems recently - it's gotten slower and slower. I've tried new belts - no help - the belt's not slipping or moving up/down. Warming up doesn't make it any faster. I've got some Phonolube lubricant & applied it in visible places w/out improvement. I've never disassembled it and I'm afraid that I'll do the wrong thing and end up with a non-recoverable mess. It seems I need to oil the motor or platter bearings, but I get a sort of elastic resistance when I pull at either to take it apart & i'm afraid to force it. Anyone have experience taking apart or tuning up a planar 2?
    thanks,
    -brian

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bristone
    Help, I purchased a vintage Rega Planar 2 turntable last year (w/ wood trim, glass platter) and i've been having speed problems recently - it's gotten slower and slower. I've tried new belts - no help - the belt's not slipping or moving up/down. Warming up doesn't make it any faster. I've got some Phonolube lubricant & applied it in visible places w/out improvement. I've never disassembled it and I'm afraid that I'll do the wrong thing and end up with a non-recoverable mess. It seems I need to oil the motor or platter bearings, but I get a sort of elastic resistance when I pull at either to take it apart & i'm afraid to force it. Anyone have experience taking apart or tuning up a planar 2?
    thanks,
    -brian
    Brian - go ahead and post this in the analog forum too. Several of the members who frequent that forum are familiar with the Rega tables. Good luck.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    thanks,
    -brian
    I own a Rega Planar 2 and I have had the subplatter out of the table. I stepped up to the Deep groove subplatter I purchased from Music Direct. In the process of changing the subplatter you are instructed to remove the old oil and bearing. I cleaned out the shaft with foam qtip looking devices and added their oil and the new bearing. I did not have a slow moving table just wanted the machined subplatter for better speed stability. After receiving the mod I checked the www.deepgroove.net site and saw that they sell the ruby bearing and oil seperately. So all you may need is an oil change. When you pull out the subplatter you will feel resistance and you will feel the resistance when you replace the subplatter but you will not hurt anything. Cleaning and changing the lubrication for the bearing seems like the first thing to try since it would be the cheapest. If it is your motor Rega has motor upgrades with the newest rigid mounting system. Also available at Music Direct. I hope this helps and I will be watching this section to see if you have any more questions of if you are successful. Good luck.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I checked the web address I gave you for deepgroove and it must have been closed. Music Direct still has the info and if you click on to their site they also show the installation instructions. One thing I forgot to tell you is if you tried the deepgroove subplatter mod you will be limited to the types of record mats you can use. The center hub sticks above the platter on the thinner Planar 2 glass platter. I use the Ringmat cork and paper and that works fine for me but the felt and carbon fiber mats would be a problem. Also the extreme phono doughnut mat would work but it apparently leaves residue on records.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    thanks JohnMichael
    yes i found the deepgroove subplatter here:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...ku=ADEEPGROOVE
    and the rega motor upgrade here:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...=&sku=AREP3MUP
    but i think i'll try the oil change first before buying all these upgrades
    (the reason i have the vintage planar 2 is for the budget - these two upgrades cost more than i spent to buy the tt) i just want to be able to play my records! i suppose if the oil change doesn't help i'll have to replace the motor. thanks for your help...
    -brian

thanks JohnMichael
    yes i found the deepgroove subplatter here:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...ku=ADEEPGROOVE
    and the rega motor upgrade here:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...=&sku=AREP3MUP
    but i think i'll try the oil change first before buying all these upgrades
    (the reason i have the vintage planar 2 is for the budget - these two upgrades cost more than i spent to buy the tt) i just want to be able to play my records! i suppose if the oil change doesn't help i'll have to replace the motor. thanks for your help...
    -brian
    While you have the subplatter out shine a flashlight down the bearing shaft to see if your bearing is worn. I have my stainless bearing, which is in good condition, if you need one. I am using the ruby bearing that came with the mod. It just takes a magnet to pull it out if you want to inspect it more closely. Also if there is any problem with the shaft on the subplatter I still have my original. I never throw out good condition parts because you never know who might need them.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    this also makes me nervous
    from the rega planar 2 manual:
    "5. don't lift the centre hub out from the main bearing. the bearing is factory assembled with a film of special thick lubricant. if the centre hub is removed this film may be disturbed."
    http://www.rega.co.uk/downloads/p2instructions.pdf
    but i'll take your word and go for it...

Forum Regular
    thanks again JM
    i've pulled out the subplatter and turned the tt over and the bearing just fell out into my hand. so i'll clean the shaft out like Ray H says in this thread:
    Turntable too slow!
    then apply my phonolube (see http://www.radiodaze.com/spec-gc-10-1223.htm )
    can i pull the shaft out of the motor in the same way or do i just clean & lube the exposed motor shaft w/ Q-tip like Ray says? if there's no more to "tuning it up" than this, i can't think this will solve my problem of only getting around 18rpm. the glass platter seems way too heavy for the motor to turn - i'm starting to think i'll need a new motor... is there any option other than spending $175 on this rega motor upgrade at music direct? i also found this motor on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/cja38
    (for much cheaper if i can win the auction)

The shaft of the motor should not be pulled out! I would try Ray's advice on the motor. I have not had any problems with my motor and thought it was maintenance free. Are you sure you want to add grease and not oil. Now that I saw the product and read the description it might be too heavy for bearing use. The oil I used came with the mod but it looked like a nice heavy weight oil not a grease.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    i suppose there's a reason why they call us newbies - i figured i shouldn't pull the shaft out of the motor but i can't see how cleaning and lubing the small amount of exposure on the shaft will help anything really (there's no crud to speak of there). and i now understand why you're suggesting oil instead of this grease - i read "phonolube" and the description on it seemed to suggest it could be used for everything ... so i'll start over with the subplatter shaft & bearing and use something like the 75W-90 GL-5 hypoid gear oil that Ray mentioned - can that be found at any autoparts/hardware store?
    also, did you have any opinion on the motor i mentioned on ebay above?
    thanks again

i suppose there's a reason why they call us newbies - i figured i shouldn't pull the shaft out of the motor but i can't see how cleaning and lubing the small amount of exposure on the shaft will help anything really (there's no crud to speak of there). and i now understand why you're suggesting oil instead of this grease - i read "phonolube" and the description on it seemed to suggest it could be used for everything ... so i'll start over with the subplatter shaft & bearing and use something like the 75W-90 GL-5 hypoid gear oil that Ray mentioned - can that be found at any autoparts/hardware store?
    also, did you have any opinion on the motor i mentioned on ebay above?
    thanks again
    One thing I was wondering is when the bearing dropped out did oil also pour out. If not adding the oil may take care of the problem. As far as the motor I am not sure where you are and that motor was being sold out of Great Britain. You would have problems with the voltage requirements and possibly pulley size if you are in the US or Canada. How does the motor run when no belt is attached? If it is still sluggish I would try Ray's tip. What have you got to lose? Of course I suspect the platter bearing and I hope that the new oil is an easy fix for you.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    thank you so far JohnMichael!
    i followed this up with a thread over in analog as you suggested...
    please see my updated response over there:
    Rega Planar 2 problems

Thread Information