Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

What's the best program for internet radio?

I've been listening to KEXP for the first time this morning and, I must say, they are certainly living up to the high expectations that their fans have led me to.

I don't listen to internet radio much so I'm not very familiar with the best way to do it. I'm using Windows Media Player. But it isn't showing me the song and artist info. I have to keep the KEXP site up and keep going to it everytime the song changes. It's annoying.

Is there a setting that I need to change? Is there a different program that I should use?

Thanks.

Forum Regular
    How can this thread get nine views and no one has responded until me? That says a lot about this place...

Anyway, you might try the free version on WinAmp. It's very user friendly. Do you use Firefox? There's a great little extension called Foxy Tunes that lets you run you media program from the browser and it puts all of the controls at the bottom of the window.

http://www.winamp.com/

I'll Tell You Why...

Quote Originally Posted by jasn
    How can this thread get nine views and no one has responded until me? That says a lot about this place...

I didn't know that KEXP was internet radio. I don't know what winamp is. I don't know what Firefly is. I have no idea what you are talking about. I am to come at once. All your base are belong to us.

Forum Regular
    OK then BarryL, you are excused from my snarky comment. Please accept my apology.

Quote Originally Posted by jasn

Anyway, you might try the free version on WinAmp. It's very user friendly. Do you use Firefox? There's a great little extension called Foxy Tunes that lets you run you media program from the browser and it puts all of the controls at the bottom of the window.

Thanks jasn. I've downloaded winamp and it's much more user friendly than Media Player was. I'm still not seeing the song titles, but I'm wondering if that's a KEXP thing rather than the program I'm using. I get the song titles on other stations, just not KEXP. They don't even show under the 'now playing' column.

Too bad.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    I didn't know that KEXP was internet radio. I don't know what winamp is. I don't know what Firefly is. I have no idea what you are talking about. I am to come at once. All your base are belong to us.
    I thought that I sounded like a dinosaur for asking my question. Thanks for out- dinosauring me.

That's Because...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I thought that I sounded like a dinosaur for asking my question. Thanks for out- dinosauring me.
    ...with friends like you I don't have to know anything. When I need to know, I'll ask you!

(Actually, I thought you were talking about satallite radio for your car at first).

So can I do that internet radio thing on a mac while at work? Huh? Eh? Can I, can I?

(I need to go home).

And can anyone name the "I am to come at once" reference in my earlier post. Think 1972 (you won't know, FA).

Forum Regular
    Please God, it's not that French movie with Marlon Brando and the stick of butter, is it? Then please post another clue...

42 Regular
    And can anyone name the "I am to come at once" reference in my earlier post. Think 1972 (you won't know, FA).
    Not sure about that ref, but as for the other one all I can say is...Someone set us up the bomb!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Another Hint

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Not sure about that ref, but as for the other one all I can say is...Someone set us up the bomb!
    The keyboard player went on to become very very famous. Zip. Zip. Zip.

That's because I'm not a dinosaur. 1972? Yikes! Was I even born yet?

I think that you can do the internet radio thingy on your Mac. Click on the link that jasn posted. It only took a couple of minutes to download (on high-speed) and I was listening to radio that would blow most Canadians minds!!!

But...just in case...I take no responsibility if your Mac blows up. Surely Apple must have some iRadio program or something.

Just picked up on KEXP - great station! been looking for something just like this

BarryL, download iTunes! its got radio, you can listen to a lot of stations with it, but not those that only support Real Player or Windows media (there is a real player for Mac).

I'm listening to KEXP on iTunes right now, just need to add the 128k .pls file to your library in iTunes. its pretty easy.

-seacrest out

Thanks, I'll Try It.

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    Just picked up on KEXP - great station! been looking for something just like this

BarryL, download iTunes! its got radio, you can listen to a lot of stations with it, but not those that only support Real Player or Windows media (there is a real player for Mac).

I'm listening to KEXP on iTunes right now, just need to add the 128k .pls file to your library in iTunes. its pretty easy.

-seacrest out
    I've never used the iTunes radio thing. I didn't know what it did and was fearful to click the button to find out!

Actually, I never really thought about listening to radio on my computer it and just casually ignored it.

Hey FA, check out WOXY.com as well.

I used to pick them up on FM radio when I would travel in Southern Ohio, and they were always excellent. Now they're on the web and as good, or better, than KEXP. Ok, maybe there's room for both of them. I'm using Windows Media Player and, just like you said, there's no song/artist listed and you have to go to their site to get it. I gotta try winamp of something else.

Grassyass,
    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I used to pick them up on FM radio when I would travel in Southern Ohio, and they were always excellent. Now they're on the web and as good, or better, than KEXP. Ok, maybe there's room for both of them. I'm using Windows Media Player and, just like you said, there's no song/artist listed and you have to go to their site to get it. I gotta try winamp of something else.

Grassyass,
    Swish
    Thanks Swisharoo! My next step is to try to figure out how to have my home desktop and my work laptop logged onto the internet at the same time so that I can listen to internet radio on the desktop while I'm working on my laptop.

Our firewall won't allow me to download winamp or any other such program, so I can't listen on my laptop while I'm working.

Thread Information