Anyone familiar with K-OS?

The band is coming to town soon and they've been playing a song on the radio by then that's got a real Bob Marley-type vibe. Anyone know if they're worth seeing live?

Snowb

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    The band is coming to town soon and they've been playing a song on the radio by then that's got a real Bob Marley-type vibe. Anyone know if they're worth seeing live?

Snowb
    I gather he's some kind of Canadian Trip-Hop, (or is it Hip-Hop, I'm just not sure) sensation. Saw them on the Juno's and it did not make me want to run out and see them or buy an album. You've probably looked it up already, but here's what allmusic has to say about his latest album.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    I gather he's some kind of Canadian Trip-Hop, (or is it Hip-Hop, I'm just not sure) sensation. Saw them on the Juno's and it did not make me want to run out and see them or buy an album. You've probably looked it up already, but here's what allmusic has to say about his latest album.
    Thanks for the link, Mark. I didn't already look it up because it seems amg now requires registration and I don't like to register at work.

I'm not sure what the song I heard is called but I really like it. They must be getting popular because they used to play at the local university and now they're playing at about a 5,500 seat coliseum. I'm really surprised that they are classified trip-hop, or even hip-hop for that matter.

Snowie

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    K-OS is actually a very talented hip-hop artist who definitely pays his repects to some blues, jazz, and many other styles. I met him when he came to my town this past winter...very humble, respectful and all around good guy...I bought his latest CD after the show...it's not bad if you like hip-hop etc...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    If it's the same song that's getting way too much airplay here (and the same song that he performed at the Juno's) it's called Crabbuckit.

I'm not much into HipHop but he kinda reminds me of Outkast. I may be way out to lunch on that comparison though so nobody flame me, please.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    If it's the same song that's getting way too much airplay here (and the same song that he performed at the Juno's) it's called Crabbuckit.

I'm not much into HipHop but he kinda reminds me of Outkast. I may be way out to lunch on that comparison though so nobody flame me, please.
    Crabbuckit is a great hip hop song. I play it at my DJ gigs all the time. I don't know much about the artist though.
    "If everybody asked you to look at their website, you'd never have time for your own blog."
    - Wes Stace a.k.a. John Wesley Harding

Hey, I love that song, Autumn, but that's not the one they've been playing here.

On another topic, do you hear much about a Canadian band called "Golden Dogs" around your neck of the woods?

Snowb

Quote Originally Posted by KEXPMF
    Crabbuckit is a great hip hop song. I play it at my DJ gigs all the time. I don't know much about the artist though.
    I think I must love hip hop! Are you familiar with his album KEXPMF? Do you know the reggae-ish song I was talking about?

Snowb

On another topic, do you hear much about a Canadian band called "Golden Dogs" around your neck of the woods?

Snowb
    I've never heard of them. But I've got the CD Samples playing off of their Web site right now. My laptop speakers are definately not doing them justice, but I can see that I might like them.

I'll look for the CD at Future Shop, looks like $18 (including shipping) is about the cheapest that I can find them on-line. Thanks for the tip.

Have you heard Boy? Another really good Canadian pop band. I'm loving their CD Every Page You Turn. They're worth checking out if you haven't heard them. Go here...http://www.boytheband.com/home.php

Only familiar with one song called "Freeze"

Snowb
    It's on a cd soundtrack (to a PS2 snowboarding game called SSX3 ) which I picked up for my kids after we all got hooked on the SSX game at Christmas. The K-OS track Freeze is a pretty decent basic hip-hop song, but nothing fantastic or anything. Good luck if you decide to go to the show, me thinks you'll stand out from the crowd a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Good luck if you decide to go to the show, me thinks you'll stand out from the crowd a bit.
    Yeah, I kinda figured. I think I'll probably just buy the CD. If it does sound like Outkaast then it should be fun for summer listening.

Tickets are $27 for a general seating cabaret-style (poor acoustic) venue. How does that compare to the small venues in the states?

Snowie

Hey Snowie, check your local TV listings! I just noticed a Spotlight on K-OS on MuchMoreMusic at 8:00 tonight EST. If you get the same schedule with the three hour time difference, you may still be able to catch it.

If not, check their website to see if there's a repeat.

Good luck!

Hey Snowie, check your local TV listings! I just noticed a Spotlight on K-OS on MuchMoreMusic at 8:00 tonight EST. If you get the same schedule with the three hour time difference, you may still be able to catch it.

If not, check their website to see if there's a repeat.

Good luck!
    Rat's! Missed it by that much. I did see the last 20 seconds of Man I Used to Be. I know that song, too!

Thanks buddy. I'll have to check it out again in three hours or so...

Snowie

about double

Yeah, I kinda figured. I think I'll probably just buy the CD. If it does sound like Outkaast then it should be fun for summer listening.

Tickets are $27 for a general seating cabaret-style (poor acoustic) venue. How does that compare to the small venues in the states?

Snowie
    I think the last show I went to at a small venue in Philadelphia (I think it was Gomez??) was about $15 US. I really can't see myself spending big bucks for a "popular" band any longer and sitting far away. Those little clubs and the low price do spoil ya!

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think I must love hip hop!
    Kinda makes sense, you being a bunny and all...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Have you ever heard Shaggy's stuff?

I think I must love hip hop! Are you familiar with his album KEXPMF? Do you know the reggae-ish song I was talking about?

Snowb
    Shaggy blends reggae & hip-hop. Kinda radio friendly sound, and nothing that's gonna nourish the musical soul, but his material is fun, fun, fun! Great for this time of year (it's been HOT 'round these parts lately!).
    Shaggy albums can probably be found pretty cheap (even in Canada ) on the used market, or maybe one of your Tricky pals can whip you up a comp if you're interested.

Thread Information