My Weekend (re)Visitation(s)

I jumped in with both feet. Picked four albums, two that I liked, but probably didn't listen to as much as I should have, one critically acclaimed disc that I hated and one classic album that I hadn't heard in maybe 10 years.

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You, a dark and compelling listen that never fails to suck me in. the first half of this disc, (or first two sides of the double LP) is nearly perfect. Brooding, noisy yet clean, without a mis-placed note. Apparently this album is a real change of pace for the band, I wouldn't know about that as it's my only album, and as much as I like it, I don't really want to investigate further to see how they made their way to this place, lest it somehow taint this great album, and the place it occupies in my colleciton. This one's going back into the rotation.

Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast. I listened to this one a lot when I found out about it, and it's a very good album, but just wasn't the same re-awakening for me that the Unwound album was. Some really great songs on this sprawling debut, but maybe a little too sprawling to hold tightly together as a great album should. But the high points are very very high.

The Microphones -- The Glow Part 2. Critically acclaimed, and enjoyed by many whose taste I respect ALOT, but I DON'T GET IT! Bad singing over noisy, non-songs. No great epiphany here, just a re-inforcement of my first impression. Blech!

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours; I picked this one because of watching one of these "behind the music" shows on MuchMusic. I never had this album when growing up, I just wasn't a fan. But I did buy it about 10 years ago to fill out my collection's "classic" album quotient. I do remember after playing it for the first time after buying it, how struck I was by how many of these songs with which I was intimately familiar eventhough I had never heard the album before. Was every song off of this album a hit single? But because of that familiarity I think I played it once maybe twice when I bought and filed it away. Pulling it out again made for a very pleasant listen. There is just nothing to fault about Rumours it really is one excellent song after another, the epitome of the term "no-filler".

This was a great idea FA. Made for as active a weekend of listening as I've had in a long time. I'm going to try to do this once a week. Thanks.
    Last edited by Ex Lion Tamer; 05-30-2005 at 08:21 PM.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    This was a great idea FA. Made for as active a weekend of listening as I've had in a long time. I'm going to try to do this once a week. Thanks.
    Thanks ELT. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe this should become a weekend ritual. As regular as the Tunesday thread, perhaps.

Anyone else think so?

Thread Information