Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Holy ****! I want to hear these before I die!

http://www.audioreview.com/speakers/...7_1594crx.aspx

Has anybody here been lucky enoough to hear these? I can't for the life of me imagine how speakers could sound good enough to be worth $250,000.

Some people have so much cash it's incredible. You could buy a house for that.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    If I had $250,000 to blow, I'd spend it on a Ferrari, but that's just me

I don't care how much money you have or how big of an audiophile you are, there is no way to justify spending a quarter of a million dollars on speakers.

nightflier

Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis
    If I had $250,000 to blow, I'd spend it on a Ferrari, but that's just me

I don't care how much money you have or how big of an audiophile you are, there is no way to justify spending a quarter of a million dollars on speakers.
    I don't care how much money you have or how big of a car lover you are, there is no way to justify spending a quarter of a million dollars on a car.

Somewhere a pot and a kettle are arguing...

Forum Regular
    kettles > pots

When I was in the Philippines there were children in the streets covered with dirt and ripped cloths begging for pennies at every stoplight. $20 there is a full week's pay and can feed a family of 6 for a month. They would probably say that there is no way anyone could have enough money to waist the $600 I spent on my front mains. And they would never understand the need to have a 7.1 system. Why would you need more than 2 speakers?
    If I was a billionare I might look into those speakers. After I had fed a small country first though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    GMichael

Yes there are certainly more important things in the world than stereo gear. Hopefully the company that sold the speakers donates some of the cash.

nightflier

That said...

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    GMichael

Yes there are certainly more important things in the world than stereo gear. Hopefully the company that sold the speakers donates some of the cash.
    Is there really an audible difference between $150,000 and $250,000 speakers? Because that extra $100K could feed a whole lot of people.

I think at these prices, the differences are not in quality, but in personality. The speaker might sound different and we can tell ourselves that this is because of an extra $100K. But the reality is that this difference is purely one of distinction between manufacturers and/or models and certainly says nothing about one speaker being better than the other. The same difference could be pointed out between $500 Polk speakers and the same configuration $400 Energy speakers.

Maybe it should be considered obscene that a $250K speaker, or a $400K amp, or a $40K speaker cable is manufactured for the public at all. I can see that for research purposes there might be a need, but for the public?

If people will pay, they will make them. Why does a man swinging a bat at a ball for a living make millions? Because people will pay. Right or wrong, it's what is. But I still wouldn't mind hearing those bad boys just once.

Wink Now you're talking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Is there really an audible difference between $150,000 and $250,000 speakers? Because that extra $100K could feed a whole lot of people.

I think at these prices, the differences are not in quality, but in personality.
    Truer words were never spoken. I'd love to see some "double blind tests" featuring a $10,000
    versus say a $100,000 speaker and see if folks can consistently pick between the two and which they prefer....

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    I don't care how much money you have or how big of a car lover you are, there is no way to justify spending a quarter of a million dollars on a car.

Somewhere a pot and a kettle are arguing...
    Sorry, but in this situation, a Ferrari is clearly > $250,000 speakers.

RGA
    Forum Regular

I think at these prices, the differences are not in quality, but in personality. The speaker might sound different and we can tell ourselves that this is because of an extra $100K. But the reality is that this difference is purely one of distinction between manufacturers and/or models and certainly says nothing about one speaker being better than the other. The same difference could be pointed out between $500 Polk speakers and the same configuration $400 Energy speakers.

Maybe it should be considered obscene that a $250K speaker, or a $400K amp, or a $40K speaker cable is manufactured for the public at all. I can see that for research purposes there might be a need, but for the public?
    yes there will be an audible difference -- whether it's better or not is another matter...but really that applies to every price range not just pricey one. I'll take my sepaker which retails for $3575.00 over the Wilson Sophia ~$12,000.00 or the B&W 801 ~$11,000.00US among others. Speaker companies have a house sound -- if you like the house sound then that;s what you want to buy. If you don;t like the B&W sound it doesn;t matter if they make a $50 million speaker because if it still sounds like B&W a person not liking B&W isn;t going to like it period.

I remember when the Wilson WAMM's were introduced. At 100K+ they set a new standard in high prices. I suppose a large part of that cost was because Dave Wilson came to your house and set them up. Like some others here I would buy a Ferrari with 250K. I'll take an F430 please. I promise I'll never ask for another thing in life.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    you know who spends that kinda cash on speakers? ever see cribs? people who just have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money. gmichael makes a good point. professional athletes and actors make millions of dollars because of the general public- i go to cubs games here in chicago and sometimes can't believe i'm paying $100 for me and a buddy to just get in our seats!

i saw an interesting article recently and it read that the great majority of people will never make $1 million in their lifetime (let alone in an eighth of a baseball season)- that would be $50K/year for 20 years.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well yes the value of things is out of whack. I took a few acting classes so I won;t get on acting (at least not stage acting) as it isn't as easy as it might look -- and generally these are very educated individuals -- Ralph Fiennes is on the board to review which novels should win the booker prize -- a post not every twit gets.

Baseball -- I'm a big Blue Jays fan -- has gotten out of control since about 1990. Society values actors and sports heros so much. Most know what won the academy award for best picture most years for the last 10 or so years -- how many know who won the last 3 nobel prize winners?? I bet most don't or worse, even care. We (society) care about Britney Spears' last party and whether or not Michael Jackson is a pervert.

Pro sport and the film industry take the public eye off of real issues going on in the world -- they are a pacifier which governments love to keep the public subdued and from thinking. What's worse is I know this and am watching the Blue Jays as I type this.

yes there will be an audible difference -- whether it's better or not is another matter...but really that applies to every price range not just pricey one. I'll take my sepaker which retails for $3575.00 over the Wilson Sophia ~$12,000.00 or the B&W 801 ~$11,000.00US among others. Speaker companies have a house sound -- if you like the house sound then that;s what you want to buy. If you don;t like the B&W sound it doesn;t matter if they make a $50 million speaker because if it still sounds like B&W a person not liking B&W isn;t going to like it period.
    There will be a difference for sure. If you take me, id take a small Apogee Caliper over the AN in a heartbeat. The Wilson over the B&W ....and actually any Apogee or same material ribbon design. Or full range electrostatics... But thats just me

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well yes it's personal taste -- this fellow owns the Apogee Duetta which I also heard -- I would take the AN speakers -- http://www.audionote.co.uk/reviews/s..._17-07-2k1.htm

Well yes it's personal taste -- this fellow owns the Apogee Duetta which I also heard -- I would take the AN speakers -- http://www.audionote.co.uk/reviews/s..._17-07-2k1.htm
    What a suprise

BTW, i can post a bunch of reviews too and all Scintilla reviews come to the same conclusion. "Ultimate speaker" equal to Ifinity IRS Series or Alon, Genesis etc....

Noone, i mean none of my Audiophile friends and reviewers (even the ones you read) like the AN. But thats ok, because i think they sound like crap too. AN electronics are good, but not the speakers.

nightflier

Interesting Point

yes there will be an audible difference -- whether it's better or not is another matter...but really that applies to every price range not just pricey one.
    But isn't it obscene that there is no quality difference between that $250K speaker and the $100K speaker (or a $3K speaker for that matter)? Wouldn't that extra $150K be better spent elsewhere? By creating a market for it, the manufacturer is promoting this obscenity.

Actually I just picked up a pair of studio monitors (for recording studios) that I swear are the best speakers I ever heard to my ears. And they were a lot less than $1K. Maybe I'll change my mind when I hear something better, but for now, these speakers have me astounded.

Regarding the Ferraris, I used to work at a hoity-toidy golf club when I was younger and got to drive some incredible cars. The Ferrari's, I'm afraid, weren't at the top of the list, though. Maybe they were too Italian, I don't know. But if you want real muscle, try a Viper sometime, and the money you save you can give to charity. Speaking of charity, the club members were the type that could afford $100K speakers, and the ones with the nicest sports cars tipped the least. It was the guys with the Cadillacs and fully loaded pickup trucks who were the most generous tippers.

Maybe those $250K speakers are just a way to keep all the $ in that vaulted top .01% of society.

Not really a baseball fan myself, but I sure like college Basketball. At least these guys aren't just playing for the money; at least not yet...

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    When I was in the Philippines there were children in the streets covered with dirt and ripped cloths begging for pennies at every stoplight. $20 there is a full week's pay and can feed a family of 6 for a month. They would probably say that there is no way anyone could have enough money to waist the $600 I spent on my front mains. And they would never understand the need to have a 7.1 system. Why would you need more than 2 speakers?
    If I was a billionare I might look into those speakers. After I had fed a small country first though.
    Oh, jeez. Now I feel like sh!t. Why do I need any speakers? I'm gonna sell all my gear and start making music for myself with found objects. Hubcaps and paper cups. I'll be doing the environment a favor. The soundstage and authenticity of my own drummings will surpass that of any bourgeois studio recording presented through non-biodegradable, luxury electronics. Then, at last, I'll be able to live off the grid and devote more time to growing organic vegetables for orphans.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    What a suprise

BTW, i can post a bunch of reviews too and all Scintilla reviews come to the same conclusion. "Ultimate speaker" equal to Ifinity IRS Series or Alon, Genesis etc....

Noone, i mean none of my Audiophile friends and reviewers (even the ones you read) like the AN. But thats ok, because i think they sound like crap too. AN electronics are good, but not the speakers.
    No one eh? even the reviewers I read? All An electronics are voiced on the Audio Note E and or Snell Type A (This speaker in many quarters is considered one of the handful best ever). The Apogee series - and the Scintilla - was owned by Peter Qvortrup. When Apogee went out of business he could have scooped up the rights -- but he found them lacking. I have a pretty good idea why ribbon panels and electrostats are so loved in some quarters - but the majority of quarters? No I think not. Please list the reviewers who don't like Audio Note speakers. It seems to me that a number of major magazines felt they were nice enough to buy as either as product to measure amplifiers and other componants, or for their own homes. None of this matter because the same can be said for lots of speakers.

Enjoy your panels -- 'ultimate" though is bogus -- this notion does not exist.

It is not a review I am posting -- it was a guy who owns several speakers Apogee, Genesis etc...he brought in the Audio Note E/D which is less than half the price of the other speakers -- I think if you actually bothered to take the time to read it that is quite a fair review of all the speakers -- clearly he LIKES Apogee since after all he spent his hard earned money to BUY the Duetta.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Oh, jeez. Now I feel like sh!t. Why do I need any speakers? I'm gonna sell all my gear and start making music for myself with found objects. Hubcaps and paper cups. I'll be doing the environment a favor. The soundstage and authenticity of my own drummings will surpass that of any bourgeois studio recording presented through non-biodegradable, luxury electronics. Then, at last, I'll be able to live off the grid and devote more time to growing organic vegetables for orphans.
    Well I think it would be a decent idea to move at least somewhat in the direction you state...unless your Republican and then screw and rape the world for a buck right?

I don't think you have to tune out of society -- If one lives in the west then we play by the west's rules to a point. I don't think we can live guilty all of the time - that said I think everyone can do their part and not buy from what i call the EVIL EMPIRE companies like NIKE and FORD and KFC and a boatload of others. Buying things makes the economy go -- but one can choose whom one is going to buy from.

I think we simply need to leave a smaller footprint on the world when and where possible.

Oh RGA, you still only read reviews and are in the hands of AN. Listen to Stax Electrostatics 83 or the Apogee's and then listen to real life music and you will easily see why that full blown room node enchancing, colored and different sounding drivers AN will give you many things exept reality.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Ha ha ha.. You may laugh but I really felt that way when I got back home. It took me awhile to not feel guilty everytime I bought something for myself.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Ha ha ha.. You may laugh but I really felt that way when I got back home. It took me awhile to not feel guilty every time I bought something for myself.
    I only half-laugh...and I have problems controlling my sarcasm. We live such a privileged life, I sometimes feel guilty buying a double-cheese burger at McD on their dollar menu. It's such a throw away amount of money here, $1. But that buys more food than too many people see in a day. I just thought it was funny that 7.1 elicited guilt but not 2.0. I was wondering were the breaking point was... 3.0...4.1...6.0... (ooops, sarcasm again.)

not buy from what i call the EVIL EMPIRE companies like NIKE and FORD and KFC
    KFC? Evil? Was there a bone in your chicken popcorn? The slaughter of innocent poultry? Why not FOX or the RNC?

There's a lot of poor people who wouldn't have been able to afford a decent pair of shoes if there wasn't a Nike making them cheaply. And although I think Nike can do more to improve working conditions, people choose to work there because it's their best option, which is sad.

And just think of all the open spaces we can build low-rent apartments in because we don't have to use the fields for raising horses! Thank you, Ford!

[disclaimer-Comments were not tested on laboratory animals, take offense at you own risk. For humor purposes only]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information