Unhappy Recent Rentals....

Finally had some time for movie viewing between Little League games. Here's the happy recap.

1. "National Treasure" - C-minus - Classic "bait and switch" if you see the trailer you've seen the whole movie. Nick Cage sleepwalks through this effects heavy flick. Best trick was the disappearing reappearing accent of the female lead... what a disappointment.

2. "The Phantom of the Opera" - C Minus - This is what happens when a film gets to the screen about 20 years too late. A weak musical with minimal numbers. Compare the song count of this drivel to "South Pacific" and you see just how big a fraud Andrew Lloyed Webber really is...

3. "Alone in the Dark" - F - I was looking for a decent horror flick, popcorn muncher and got... dick. Derivative of 4 better movies, "28 Days Later", "Aliens", "Resident Evil" and "Starshp Troopers" this junk dissappoints on all levels..

4. "Team America, World Police" - D - This was the biggest dissappointment of the bunch. I was expecting South Park meets The Thunderbirds and instead I got "Bed time for Worfster". A one joke premise that shot it's load in the first 30 minutes. Worth viewing only for the puppet sex scene and the destruction of Paris.

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hmmm I woulda given Team America a C+ just for the kickass theme song and hilarious Ben Affleck/Matt Damon references

It was the woman's turn to pick rentals this week so I had to sit through 2 rather painful experiences myself:
    1) Meet the Fockers - C -This would be a pretty good Sunday Afternoon TBS flick, but that's about it...I didn't think the first one was all that special, and this one wasn't as good...my fiancee has a thing for Babs for some reason so she thought this might be okay...What the hell is DeNiro doing?

2) Spanglish - B - as far as goofy sappy chick flicks about life goes this one was okay. The 2 little girl actors did a really good mob IMO...not that painful a movie to sit through. Adam Sandler isn't the greatest actor by any means, but he didn't go overboard in this and was likeable enough. If you have to watch a chickflick, shoot for this one, it's not horrible.

I've had some bad luck with rentals lately. Here are a few of my most recent:

1. Code 46 - D : ugh. I am a huge sci-fi fan, but this was just awful. No chemistry, the whole Code 46 premises felt tacked on. Waste of time

2. Man on Fire - C- : First half was decent - good character development, then the second half just threw it all away and became standard action movie fare.

3. Troy - D: I was pretty big on Greek mythology when I was younger so I was really looking forward to this. How can you make the Trojan war boring? By removing all the interesting parts . . . . I understand the attempt to make it military based, but by removing the supernatural aspects there just wasn't enough to keep my attention. Read Illium by Dan Simmons instead.

Tonight - House of Games. I've heard good things.

Red face Saw "Spanglish"

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hmmm I woulda given Team America a C+ just for the kickass theme song and hilarious Ben Affleck/Matt Damon references

It was the woman's turn to pick rentals this week so I had to sit through 2 rather painful experiences myself:
    1) Meet the Fockers - C -This would be a pretty good Sunday Afternoon TBS flick, but that's about it...I didn't think the first one was all that special, and this one wasn't as good...my fiancee has a thing for Babs for some reason so she thought this might be okay...What the hell is DeNiro doing?

2) Spanglish - B - as far as goofy sappy chick flicks about life goes this one was okay. The 2 little girl actors did a really good mob IMO...not that painful a movie to sit through. Adam Sandler isn't the greatest actor by any means, but he didn't go overboard in this and was likeable enough. If you have to watch a chickflick, shoot for this one, it's not horrible.
    Certainly agree it's not the "worst" chick flick you could run across. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but just barely...

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Awww c'mon Worf, starring at that lovely Paz Vega for 90 minutes ain't so bad...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

It's been suggested that I spread my wings around here, so I hope that you guys don't mind a little interjection.

I watched Meet the Fockers this weekend. It was, by no means, a great movie, but it did make me laugh out loud a couple of times. Something that I don't usually do at movies. So, while the story was predictable and lame, I have to give it points for sudden spurts of humour.

I saw Spanglish in the theatre. In fact, it was my husband who wanted to see it. . We both quite enjoyed it. I'm so glad that it didn't end with the traditional romantic ending that I was expecting. It gained extra points for that! I like Adam Sandler. Billy Madison is one of my favourite movies.

We also recently watched, Men of Honour on DVD. While it had some weak spots in the story (Charlize Theron with Robert De Niro? C'mon!), it was thoroughly enjoyable. Stupidly we returned it before watching the extras. Apparently there was a really good extra on the real guy that the movie was based on.

Ah my dear.....

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    It's been suggested that I spread my wings around here, so I hope that you guys don't mind a little interjection.

I watched Meet the Fockers this weekend. It was, by no means, a great movie, but it did make me laugh out loud a couple of times. Something that I don't usually do at movies. So, while the story was predictable and lame, I have to give it points for sudden spurts of humour.

I saw Spanglish in the theatre. In fact, it was my husband who wanted to see it. . We both quite enjoyed it. I'm so glad that it didn't end with the traditional romantic ending that I was expecting. It gained extra points for that! I like Adam Sandler. Billy Madison is one of my favourite movies.

We also recently watched, Men of Honour on DVD. While it had some weak spots in the story (Charlize Theron with Robert De Niro? C'mon!), it was thoroughly enjoyable. Stupidly we returned it before watching the extras. Apparently there was a really good extra on the real guy that the movie was based on.
    This is the first time I've ever seen you OUTSIDE the Rave Rec's forum . Welcome, welcome indeed. We love film here and a have one resident sound engineer (Sir Terrance) and one indie film maker (Kam). We also have a ton of self style film mavens (Kex, Lex, Smokey and your's truly). I thought "Men of Honor" was a bit weak in spots too but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Many folks here don't remember when the Armed Services were segregated by law and tradition. Interesting film...

Once again... welcome...

Da Worfster

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Once again I find myself on the opposing side of my Klingon friend.

National Treasure- I never watch movies with my analysis cap on. If I did, I would hate the majority of the movies I have seen. Either the movie pulls me in, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then I put on my analysis cap. National Treasure delivered for me. Never mind that it wasn't historically correct, had plot holes, and sometimes things just didn't seem plauseable, it entertained me for a couple of hours. The visuals were outstanding as well as the sound. Nick Cage played Nick Cage and kinda cruised through this role.

Phantom of the Opera-I saw the stage play about 4 times between New York and Los Angeles. This movie is a lousy adaptation. (Putting on analysis cap) The play is essentially a musical. This movie is a talkie, void of emotion, and about as evolving as watching a sista get a weave. After watching this movie, I had an overwhelming desire to commit suicide, revive myself, and then do it all over again. Our resident space hero gave it a C-, this bald puerto-minican gives it a H-
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular

Convince her it's a chick flick...

Rented "House of Flying Daggers" and it totally suprised me. I was expecting a martial
    arts extravaganza with an inconsequential plot. What I got was a well acted, period piece, love triangle that your lady will probably like. But before you panic...this is no James Ivory
    flick or "English Patient" snoozer. This movie has incredible fight scenes, awesome sound and cinemetography, war, espianoge, agents, doubleagents, moles, plot twists,and even a little bit of nooky (as much as PG-13 will allow.)

I'll give it a B+ and highly recommend it.

To test your 5.1/7.1 setup there is an awesome dance scene involving a room full of drums
    and thrown rocks. Sounds weird but you'll see what I mean...

Kam

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 20to20K
    Rented "House of Flying Daggers" and it totally suprised me. I was expecting a martial
    arts extravaganza with an inconsequential plot. What I got was a well acted, period piece, love triangle that your lady will probably like. But before you panic...this is no James Ivory
    flick or "English Patient" snoozer. This movie has incredible fight scenes, awesome sound and cinemetography, war, espianoge, agents, doubleagents, moles, plot twists,and even a little bit of nooky (as much as PG-13 will allow.)

I'll give it a B+ and highly recommend it.

To test your 5.1/7.1 setup there is an awesome dance scene involving a room full of drums
    and thrown rocks. Sounds weird but you'll see what I mean...
    Haven't seen it yet, on my list. How does it compare to Hero? (if you liked/disliked hero)
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Haven't seen it yet, on my list. How does it compare to Hero? (if you liked/disliked hero)
    I saw House, and like 20to20 says, I was totally surprised by the plot. It's a freakin' love story. And trust me, don't get involved in a love triangle with people who are expertly proficient in daggars, swords, and painful bamboo branches. I'd only recommend it if you think said love triangle can be resolved through said weapons. I liked Hero better, both for visuals, story, and sound. But, yes, that echo dance scene was very, very cool.

1) Meet the Fockers; after my wife and I determined that we were the only people on the planet that hated Meet the Parents, I rented this to see if maybe we had just ate some bad sushi or something. You know what? Our meal was fine, this movie stunk on ice just like it's forebear. F-

2) National Treasure; I'm with Sir T in that I enjoyed this movie. It's not an intellectual brain teaser in any shape or form, but as a way to waste a couple of hours you could do far worse. B-

3) Oceans 12; How did a movie as stylish and engaging as Oceans 11 morph into this boring sequel? Oceans 11 was such a terrific movie, full of pace and energy yet this thing is about as fun as watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs right now. D (compared to the first; F)

4) Racing Stripes; OK, this was for the kids (nudge nudge, wink wink). My boys enjoyed it so I enjoyed it. Stupid and mindless for sure, but good for a few laughs. B-

I know what planet I'm from....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Once again I find myself on the opposing side of my Klingon friend.

National Treasure- I never watch movies with my analysis cap on. If I did, I would hate the majority of the movies I have seen. Either the movie pulls me in, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then I put on my analysis cap. National Treasure delivered for me. Never mind that it wasn't historically correct, had plot holes, and sometimes things just didn't seem plauseable, it entertained me for a couple of hours. The visuals were outstanding as well as the sound. Nick Cage played Nick Cage and kinda cruised through this role.

Phantom of the Opera-I saw the stage play about 4 times between New York and Los Angeles. This movie is a lousy adaptation. (Putting on analysis cap) The play is essentially a musical. This movie is a talkie, void of emotion, and about as evolving as watching a sista get a weave. After watching this movie, I had an overwhelming desire to commit suicide, revive myself, and then do it all over again. Our resident space hero gave it a C-, this bald puerto-minican gives it a H-
    But I can't feel where you're swinging from? LOL, C'mon over to the Klingong side of town, have some Blood Wine, get your mind right... he he heh....

Nat. Treas... eh... I gave it C-minus, not an F. I just couldn't get past "her" but hey, different strokes etc....

Can't believe you sat through that "musical" 4 times. I did it once on Broadway no less.. and almost needed CPR... Yipes... what you workin' on these days my brother?

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Haven't seen "Hero"...

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    ...but it's on my list.

Don't know if this will serve as a reference point...but I did not like "Crouching Tiger,
    Hidden Dragon" at all. In fact, I didn't even make it though half the movie. I was bored
    senseless and the excessive 'flying nun" scenes I found ridiculous. There's a little of
    that in HOFD...but no where near as much.

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=paul_pci]I saw House, and like 20to20 says, I was totally surprised by the plot. It's a freakin' love story. And trust me, don't get involved in a love triangle with people who are expertly proficient in daggars, swords, and painful bamboo branches. I'd only recommend it if you think said love triangle can be resolved through said weapons. QUOTE]

I'm no historian...but I wouldn't be surprised if many conflicts were resolved that way in the 9th Century!

Thread Information