AR Newbie Registered Member

Question AE Aegis Speakers - bad sound

Hi,
    I have NAD 350 integrated amp and the C542 CD player with the AE speakers. The sound is quite poor during complicated passages at any sound level. Any one know if its the Electronics or the speakers? I'm thinking of buying the Klipsh rf 35. Any experience or comments are appreciated.

nightflier

"Poor" Sound

Quote Originally Posted by ebbs
    The sound is quite poor during complicated passages at any sound level.
    Eb,

Can you be more specific about what you mean with "poor sound"? Is the volume to low? Is it muddy? Is it too bright? Is it flat? Etc.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbs
    Hi,
    I have NAD 350 integrated amp and the C542 CD player with the AE speakers. The sound is quite poor during complicated passages at any sound level. Any one know if its the Electronics or the speakers? I'm thinking of buying the Klipsh rf 35. Any experience or comments are appreciated.
    I have the Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones. Here are some of my experiences:

1. Sounds great - smooth, open sound with nice soundstage and imaging and deep bass - with NAD C340 (50 wpc) and Cambirdge Audio D300 cdp in bedroom.

2. Sounded similar to above with NAD 7225pe stereo receiver (25 wpc), but not as much low level info in small den.

3. Sounded ok with NAD C350 (60wpc), but not as good as 1&2; however, I was watching a dvd with poor speaker placement (although the same placement doesn't effect my NHTs) in large family room. Didn't handle large dynamic swings very well like explosions, sound seemed isolated to each speaker rather than creating a smooth field across the front.

4. Replaced NAD 7225 receiver with Parasound P/HP 850 preamp and Acurus A100 power amp (100 wpc). Sounded compressed in high frequency range until I replaced Radio Shack speaker wire with DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cables. Sounds very good now with smooth highs, well-extended bass for size, deep soundstage behind speakers, decent imaging and lots of information at low volumes - more than with 1-3.

In my experiences they don't do as well with large orchestral pieces as they do with pop, reggae, most classic rock, indie rock, acoustic music and small jazz ensembles. I don't listen to a lot of female vocals which some use to evaluate speakers, but never really noticed a problem with male or female vocals.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Poor sound - defined

Hi,
    Thanks for responding. At any volume level, the speakers seem to blare. It makes listening, unenjoyable. The speaker wires that I am using were made by the high fidelity shop that sold the speakers. They actually split into four prongs so that all the jacks in the back of the speakers are filled. (just to let you know how bad the overall sound is..... I was listening with a girl friend and she actually mentioned that the sound was not very good, nothing in particular, just not very good)

I'm hoping to find out why such a setup would blare even at low sound levels.

Can you be more specific about what you mean with "poor sound"? Is the volume to low? Is it muddy? Is it too bright? Is it flat? Etc.[/QUOTE]

Thread Information