TSH
    Forum Regular

Running two pairs of speakers off one channel?

This may be a strange question, but can I "split" the B channel on my Technics receiver to run two pairs of small speakers in two separate rooms? Thanks.

Forum Regular
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a second question to yours.... I'm thinking of buying 3 pairs of speakers (plus a sub) for a 5.1 system. I want to use one of the last pair as the center, but was also thinking of sending the center channel to "two" speakers, that would sit on my tv as the center. Would this be better or worse than just using a single speaker?

DIYaudiophilehack
    Quote Originally Posted by TSH
    This may be a strange question, but can I "split" the B channel on my Technics receiver to run two pairs of small speakers in two separate rooms? Thanks.
    Find out what ohm load your amp can handle and whether your speakers are typical 8 ohm nominal impedence. The "B" option is most likely two channels (left and right), not one. You CAN run two pairs of speakers from this output but need think about the concequences. Wired in parallel, they would show your amp a 4 ohm load instead of an 8 ohm load. You need to check the tech specs on your specific receiver to see if it is 4 ohm capable. Wired in series, you'll show the amp a 16 ohm load wich is generally acceptable and much less taxing on the amplifier. Keep in mind that on most receivers running "A" and "B" simultaneously further drops the nominal impedence shown to the amplifier and may also cause harm.

TSH
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by toenail
    Find out what ohm load your amp can handle and whether your speakers are typical 8 ohm nominal impedence. The "B" option is most likely two channels (left and right), not one. You CAN run two pairs of speakers from this output but need think about the concequences. Wired in parallel, they would show your amp a 4 ohm load instead of an 8 ohm load. You need to check the tech specs on your specific receiver to see if it is 4 ohm capable. Wired in series, you'll show the amp a 16 ohm load wich is generally acceptable and much less taxing on the amplifier. Keep in mind that on most receivers running "A" and "B" simultaneously further drops the nominal impedence shown to the amplifier and may also cause harm.
    Can you clarify for me what it means to wire in parallel or in series? Thanks.

DIYaudiophilehack
    Try this

http://www.bcae1.com/srsparll.htm

The jist of it is that with two speakers in parallel configuration, + to + and - to - then connecting to the amps corresponding + and - will halve the impedence, in your case from 8 down to 4 ohms. That's ok if your receiver can drive 4 ohm loads. Many can't and your manual will advise against this. See link for series configuration.

If that's your case, el cheapo Radio Shack multi speaker selector may suit your needs.

Thread Information