Forum Regular

DISH problems with parasound AVC1800 processor

I keep getting static/interference/poor sound quality when listening to DISH thru my parasound processor. I use the Optical #2 as the manual states there is an issue with using the optical #1 hookup.

what is strange is after 5-10 minutes everything is fine. also the problem does not always happen the same way and sometimes everything is fine right from the beginning.

it mainly happens when listening so SIRIUS.

I have used the optical #2 hookup with my dvd player and everything is fine. I am wondering if it is the parasound processor

any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by lomarica
    I keep getting static/interference/poor sound quality when listening to DISH thru my parasound processor. I use the Optical #2 as the manual states there is an issue with using the optical #1 hookup.

what is strange is after 5-10 minutes everything is fine. also the problem does not always happen the same way and sometimes everything is fine right from the beginning.

it mainly happens when listening so SIRIUS.

I have used the optical #2 hookup with my dvd player and everything is fine. I am wondering if it is the parasound processor

any suggestions?
    Excuse my confusion but by Dish, do you mean Dish Network? and are you saying that is the same thing as Sirius? I don't use Dish Network, I use DirectTv. I doubt it's the processor, but one way to find out would be to plug in a DVD or CD player into the suspect input and see if you have any trouble with that source device. My guess is that there's a breakup in the satellite signal which often follows no discernable pattern.

Forum Regular

more detail

yes I mean DISH Network and SIRIUS is the satellite music stations that come with DISH, SIRIUS is fantastic by the way.

I have plugged my cd/dvd player into my processor at the same connection as I use for DISH and it works fine.

If it was the sat signal it seems I would get the same interferrence when I listed thru just the TV and not thru the processor

Quote Originally Posted by lomarica
    yes I mean DISH Network and SIRIUS is the satellite music stations that come with DISH, SIRIUS is fantastic by the way.

I have plugged my cd/dvd player into my processor at the same connection as I use for DISH and it works fine.

If it was the sat signal it seems I would get the same interferrence when I listed thru just the TV and not thru the processor
    Yes, I'm hearing great things about satellite radio. My brother in law has XM and he loves it. Your response makes me think there's some degradation in the Sirius signal and perhaps you should give a call to Dish network and explain that you're having distortion when listening to the radio signal and if they suggest it's your equipment, you can reply, no, everything else, including the regular TV signal works properly. Now, I suppose, theoretically, the processor may not "know" how to decode/process the signal, but that much is beyond my knowledge base. And hopefully, Dish Network might know if certain equipment causes bugs in the signal. Another testing possibility would be if you had another receiver of some sort to plug it into and see if you get the same problem.

Thread Information