Forum Regular

Newbie Here With Newbie System!!!

Hello members my name is Phil. Just wanted to introduce myself and to see what you all thought of my system. Right now I have an Advent 30" widescreen progressive scan HDTV w/DVI input. I know this is not as nice as a Sony or a Panasonic, but I only gave $500 plus tax for it. Man ole man is sure has not disappointed me one bit. Great picture and awesome sound system to boot. I also have a Samsung HD dvd player that also will play SACD's and DVD-Audio. The picture I get when watching DVD is amazing due to the DVI input on the TV and the video upconversion on the Samsung DVD player. The picture with digital cable is nice too but not as good as when watching dvd. My front speakers are MTX towers that come with (2) 12" subs, midrange and tweeter. I know these are not audiophile grade components but let me tell you they do have a good sound to them. No, they are not as nice as some of the Paradigm towers but I only had so much money. Since my preference is for 2.1 music listening I wen with the towers and the Paradigm cc-170. The 170 does a good job but I am compelled to upgrade to the cc-370 as soon as possible. I also plan on buying monitor 3's for my fronts and mini's for the rear. Right now the Titans are doing a good job but I just love the monitor 3's and the mini's. I am very pleased with my PS-1000 v.4 sub. It is in a bandpass box and has absolutely no distortion. I plan on getting another PS-1000 sub for better balance. All of this is powered by my yammie RXV-650 receiver and for now am satisfied with it. Plans include upgrading my yammie to the RXV-2500 as well. Oh, I for got to mention that I originally went with a Paradigm PDR12 sub but got a lot of chaffing noise whenever I listened to Linkin Park, Metallica, and etc. So, I ended up gettin the PS-1000 instead. They did not have the PS-1200 in stock so I said I would try the PS-1000 and I am glad I did. Wow, what a difference. Anyways, let me know what you think about my current system and about my future plans are upgrading. Nice to meet you all. If any of you reside in the West KY area or SW IN area please let me know. Paradigm fan4life!!!
    F: MTX AAL 212B Towers
    C: Paradigm CC-170 v.3
    R: Paradigm Titans v.3
    S: Paradigm PS-1000 v.4
    RCA 27" Widescreen HDTV w/DVI
    Z-Lines TV Stand
    Samsung HD DVD-841 w/DVI
    Yamaha RXV-650 95X7 rms and YPAO
    Esoteric Cables

Lightbulb newbie

Welcome Phil! I too had tried the Paradigm PDR 12 and was more impress with the PS 1000 and bought it .I only buy within my budget also,also buy factory second and display model at almost 1/2 the price.Enjoy and welcome .Pat.P

Hi Phil !!

Welcome to Audioreview
    System is looking good !

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular

Paradigm is da bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Welcome Phil! I too had tried the Paradigm PDR 12 and was more impress with the PS 1000 and bought it .I only buy within my budget also,also buy factory second and display model at almost 1/2 the price.Enjoy and welcome .Pat.P
    Thannks Pat for the welcome. Glad to hear that you like the PS-1000 sub as much as I do. Too bad we are both on a budget but I guess that is what keeps things interesting. Once again, thanks for making me feel welcome here in the forums. Until next time................
    Z-Lines TV Stand
    Samsung HD DVD-841 w/DVI
    Esoteric Cables

Forum Regular
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome. Plan on being here for a long time. I just love to learn more about other audiophiles like myself. What do you think about my plans with respect to upgrading? Feel free to be candid and elaborate as much as you want. The better informed I am the better descision(s) I will make.

Quote Originally Posted by oddeoowphil38
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome. Plan on being here for a long time. I just love to learn more about other audiophiles like myself. What do you think about my plans with respect to upgrading? Feel free to be candid and elaborate as much as you want. The better informed I am the better descision(s) I will make.
    Plans sound fine for upgrading, but most of us here (some by learning the hard way) advise others to upgrade along a specified hierarchy that will give the end user the most bang for the buck, as it were: first Speakers, then amplification/receivers, then components, sub, and last cables. The interesting thing about upgrading receivers is how the mass market companies (Denon, Yamaha, et al.) are so quickly upgrading their line of receivers, so that you spot one you like (say the RX-V 2500 (good choice)) and by the time you save the money for it, it's been replaced by some other model, which might not necessarily be any better where it counts the most. Also, a lot of us discourage lateral upgrades, meaning buying new speakers/components that don't offer substantial improvement over existing equipment. This is an expensive hobby and most have to be cognizant of what we choose to upgrade.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Plans sound fine for upgrading, but most of us here (some by learning the hard way) advise others to upgrade along a specified hierarchy that will give the end user the most bang for the buck, as it were: first Speakers, then amplification/receivers, then components, sub, and last cables. The interesting thing about upgrading receivers is how the mass market companies (Denon, Yamaha, et al.) are so quickly upgrading their line of receivers, so that you spot one you like (say the RX-V 2500 (good choice)) and by the time you save the money for it, it's been replaced by some other model, which might not necessarily be any better where it counts the most. Also, a lot of us discourage lateral upgrades, meaning buying new speakers/components that don't offer substantial improvement over existing equipment. This is an expensive hobby and most have to be cognizant of what we choose to upgrade.
    Well said Paul. Thanks for the advice-I will keep it in mind.
    Z-Lines TV Stand
    Samsung HD DVD-841 w/DVI
    Esoteric Cables

Thread Information