Forum Regular

Indulge Me Is there Hope Or Am I Overeacting Here!

As you know and are probably sick of hearing, I just ordered a Denon 3801 Receiver & Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player to see if the sound quality of my CD's will go from a B+ to A+ using my Orb Mod 1 Speakers. Anyway, the DVD player arrived today with the receiver to follow in a few days. Out of curiosity, I connected the HK DVD player via Optical Cable to my now famous JVC DV31-SL DVD receiver unit & started comparing the CD sounds listening to 2 copies of the same Beatles Rubber Soul album I made on CDR. The way this was set up, was, using 2 remotes, I could switch back and forth to hearing it through the JVC DVD or the Harmon Kardon DVD but through the same JVC receiver. Again, I found the JVC to be better soundquality than the Harmon Kardon DVD player but maybe only 15% better.[B] [COLOR=DarkRed]The reason I'm posting this is, before you say, you're beating a dead horse, is, does this mean absolutely nothing until I listen to the Harmon Kardon DVD player through the Denon Receiver?[[/COLOR]/B] Any answer appreciated, thank you for your patience.
    Last edited by hershon; 03-21-2005 at 02:59 PM.

if you are using the digital optical cable from the hk dvd player to the jvc receiver/dvd combo, I believe you are using the same decoder in the jvc... try the analog output...

Mike

Forum Regular

Forum Monitor Please Delete This Specific Thread I Started

I've since revised this so I would appreciate you deleting this one. Thanks

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    if you are using the digital optical cable from the hk dvd player to the jvc receiver/dvd combo, I believe you are using the same decoder in the jvc... try the analog output...

Mike
    Yeah your right! By using the optical cable Hershon, you are not listening to the HK player at all, you are only listening to the JVC unit. But yet you think one unit sounds 15% better than the other - sounds like you fooled yourself. Again. You sound confused. If I were you, I wouldn't bother opening up the Denon receiver when you get it, just relist it on ebay as you mentioned you might. This forum might be doing you more harm than good.

Forum Regular

IRG Thanks But You're Totally Wrong

No I'm not deceiving myself in noticing difference in sound quality. I used to do record producing for a bunch of bands/musicians you've probably heard of, and they would tell you I have an acute ear and notice everything. As far as technical knowledge (other than from record producing) I admit lacking in that area. This isn't meant as a criticism of you or others, but you guys seem to be convinced that if technically A&B should equal C but isn't necessarily true, and have trouble accepting that. I judge/buy things on how they sound to me, not how either the products specifications should sound to me or how people tell me it should sound to me. No I'm not confused as to what I'm hearing. Yes, I'm confused on the technical reasoning behind this. The one thing I've learned & I think alot of people on this board have learned is, there is no predicting the "chemistry" between 2 or more different peices of equipment- i.e. speakers, receivers, CD/DVD players, cables, etc., if you've never heard the combinations before.

I'm going to give the Denon receiver a fair listen and if I don't notice any significant improvement in my sound quality going from a B+ to A+ as my Harmon Kardon DVD player apparently did for DVD's, then I'll return it. But at least I'll give it a try for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by IRG
    Yeah your right! By using the optical cable Hershon, you are not listening to the HK player at all, you are only listening to the JVC unit. But yet you think one unit sounds 15% better than the other - sounds like you fooled yourself. Again. You sound confused. If I were you, I wouldn't bother opening up the Denon receiver when you get it, just relist it on ebay as you mentioned you might. This forum might be doing you more harm than good.

Thread Information