Forum Regular

new tv under $2000

I've recently started my search for a new TV. I was thinking projector for a while, but after some research, I've decided that I'm looking for a projection TV. After some internet research on this site and others, as well as looking at some tvs at a few stores, I've narrowed my options down to jvc, toshiba, mitsubishi, and hitachi. I want something in in the 52-55 inch range, and like I said in the title, under 2000 dollars. Other than just looking for some reccomendations, I also was wondering about HD boxes. Since it looks like in my price range, I'll be getting an HD ready TV, how much do HD boxes run? Would I usually be getting one from my cable company, or would buying one somewhere else be a better option? Thanks for the help

Forum Regular

Don't buy an HD Box

Here's the deal: 1. Speaking for cable TV only ( I don't know anyting about Direct TV), I use Time Warner in LA, the cable company supplies you with the HD receiver/tuner or whatever you call it. There is either no charge (they charge you for your HD channels) or it is minimal. If you are planning to get your HD broadcasts from a Cable company only, you'd be foolish to spend extra money in either buying a seperate HD box or a TV that has an HD receiver as an HD ready TV is cheaper and the cable company provides you with everything at minimal cost. The cable company for about $11 a month will also rent you a
    an HD DVR (TIVO but no quite TIVO) that produces perfect HD recordings. You can not record HD on most DVD and VCR recorders. If you buy a DVR recorder the Cable company will still charge you the $11 monthly fee to record to DVR even if you're not renting one (You may want to double check this, I'm not sure this is 100% accurate).

The cable company offers a standard HD plan that includes most of the networks (for some reason UPN & the WB isn't included here in LA) & throws in HD HBO & Showtime for free provided you're already paying for it & a few other channels. HD Channels have a different number than non HD channels, IE. NBC is channel 4 but the HD NBC is 1104 here. The more expensive HD plan includes ESPN & HD NET which is more movie crap and special programming.

As for TV's, you'd be crazy to not buy an HD Ready one. I recommend Mitsubishi. I have a 48" rear projection Mitsubishi HD TV that I'm in love with. This cost me $1600 with free delivery. I also spent I think $300 on a 5 year extended warranty and another couple of hundred dollars on 2 sets of Monster Component Cables which I bought on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    I've recently started my search for a new TV. I was thinking projector for a while, but after some research, I've decided that I'm looking for a projection TV. After some internet research on this site and others, as well as looking at some tvs at a few stores, I've narrowed my options down to jvc, toshiba, mitsubishi, and hitachi. I want something in in the 52-55 inch range, and like I said in the title, under 2000 dollars. Other than just looking for some reccomendations, I also was wondering about HD boxes. Since it looks like in my price range, I'll be getting an HD ready TV, how much do HD boxes run? Would I usually be getting one from my cable company, or would buying one somewhere else be a better option? Thanks for the help

Thread Information