My best sounding CD so far

And perhaps my best sounding recording, clearly beating most SACDs is ...
    John Rutter: Requiem & Five Anthems
    Timothy Seelig, conductor with the
    Turtle Creek Chorale and Women's Chorus of Dallas
    Reference Recordings RR-57CD
    RR really lives up to its reputation hear. Fabulous choral recording and ultra deep, ultra clean pipe organ sound.

As for the compositions, though, I really only like 'Requiem' which has some real sensibility and depth. The other pieces are sappy religious stuff, (in a Church of England sort of way), IMO.

agree, Ref Recordings are quite superb sounding

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    And perhaps my best sounding recording, clearly beating most SACDs is ...
    John Rutter: Requiem & Five Anthems
    Timothy Seelig, conductor with the
    Turtle Creek Chorale and Women's Chorus of Dallas
    Reference Recordings RR-57CD
    RR really lives up to its reputation hear. Fabulous choral recording and ultra deep, ultra clean pipe organ sound.

As for the compositions, though, I really only like 'Requiem' which has some real sensibility and depth. The other pieces are sappy religious stuff, (in a Church of England sort of way), IMO.
    I own that Requiem title, plus a few other Reference Recordings titles and they do rank as some of the best (if not the best) standard cd's I own (from a sound quality standpoint). RR-70CD Stravinsky by Eiji Oue/Minnesots Orch is another that has some awesome moments but overall ain't my cup of tea. The only hi-res albums I've purchased to date are remasters of older (70's) albums, so it's hard to compare to Ref Recs, but you're right, RR's are closer to hi-res format than to std cd's.
    I haven't checked their catalog lately, but I always wished thay would have tried recording some piece of music outside the classical & jazz genres, like rock or pop.

Hi Res -- no big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    I own that Requiem title, plus a few other Reference Recordings titles and they do rank as some of the best (if not the best) standard cd's .... The only hi-res albums I've purchased to date are remasters of older (70's) albums, so it's hard to compare to Ref Recs, but you're right, RR's are closer to hi-res format than to std cd's.
    As ever, IMO, it's the record production and engineering that make the big difference rather than the medium. I own a few DSD remaster from analog tape, (e.g. Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Uhm), that are great, and a couple that recent, all-DSD efforts that are also excellent, (e.g. Bruckner: Symphony #9/Harnoncourt), that are excellent. So SACD might have the technical edge, but it is minor at most, at least to 60 year old like me who can't hear anything above 10kHz.

Thread Information