Thread: Hour Meter

Forum Regular

Hour Meter

I have been considering adding an Hour Meter to my tube amp to keep track of the Tube Hours. The 6550 C's have a "life" of around 2000 hours. I know of no way to gauge that number easily thus the question.

Anyone done this mod?
    ARC VT100 MKIII , ARC LS-15 , Anthem PRE1P Phono Stage
    Acoustics Signature TT , Adcom GCD-750 CD
    Tascam 130 Cassette Deck ,Transparent Audio Plus Speaker Cable , Transparent Audio Plus Balanced interconnects
    Martin Logan Ascents , HG 10 SX Velodyne Sub
    Pioneer TX-9100 Tuner

tube life

Perhaps I am being naive but it seems that end of tube life is either when the bias adjustment can no longer be kept in the manufacturers recomended range or when the sound quality has decreased to the point where the owner finds it offensive. It doesn't really matter if this is 10 hours or 10,000 hours.

Tube life is determined by how often they are turned on and off and how hard they are operated. No amplifier damage will occur if tubes are operated past the recomended life rating, that number is just a rough guide.

If you are anything like many audiophiles you will have tried 4 different brands of tubes long before the hours are up anyway.

Obsessive?

Quote Originally Posted by Arc45
    I have been considering adding an Hour Meter to my tube amp to keep track of the Tube Hours. The 6550 C's have a "life" of around 2000 hours. I know of no way to gauge that number easily thus the question.

Anyone done this mod?
    This hobby is obsessive enough, just keep general track of the hours, about is good enough in the case of tube life. Besides, hermanv is right. The tubes won't be around at the end of their life anyway,

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Thread Information