IRG

markw - still like the Athena? Other comments welcome

Mark,
    Was wondering if you still like the Athena Audition line. I see online they are very affordable. I can get the As-b2 and the matching center for $300, maybe even less if I go for the slightly smaller as-b1. Any thought on this? For the price of my new Energy matching center, I could probably get all 3 speakers for my system. I still like the Energys, but if the Athena line can hold its own, I might go this route. Depends what I can sell my C-3s for. Also the Athena subwoofer, the 400 model seems like a good sub for about $260. I am sure it will be an improvement over my JBL PB10, which for me has been a good little sub. Just time to upgrade I think.

Anyone else own/audition the Athena AS-B1 or B2 bookshelves? Any comments would be appreciated.

Still quite happy, thank you.

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/1606.html

Gotta say, even at full price I think the system I would up with is hard to beat.

Wow, for $300 you could get a nice three piece bookshelf system. I'm not overjoyed with their subs but with a pair of bookshelves as the mains it probably would add significant extention.

Wonder what a pair of F1's to round it out and recast the B2's to rear surround duty would cost? IMNSHO, the F2's are a bit too much with the mid/upper bass.

Again, the offer still stands when you get down here. Either pm or email me.

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/1606.html

Gotta say, even at full price I think the system I would up with is hard to beat.

Wow, for $300 you could get a nice three piece bookshelf system. I'm not overjoyed with their subs but with a pair of bookshelves as the mains it probably would add significant extention.

Wonder what a pair of F1's to round it out and recast the B2's to rear surround duty would cost? IMNSHO, the F2's are a bit too much with the mid/upper bass.

Again, the offer still stands when you get down here. Either pm or email me.
    So, do you think then for $300, the center and AS-B2 is a good deal? (this was slightly used on ebay.) I''ve seen on eBay the AS-F1 for about $250 (new) and the center speaker for $125, about the same for the AS-1b. Otherwise from a store they are $179/pair, and $209 for the AS-2b, and $150 for the center.

I think the F2 would be too much for my room. I have read some good reviews about their subs, that's why I was curious. I value quality bass vs. quantity bass. I couldn't really play the sub too loud anyway, as it would wake up my kids most of the time. But with the bookshelves, this system will need something.

I'll get back to NJ eventually! Might have to make a quick trip to NYC, and then Salt Lake City next month. I really want to go to someplace warm. The wife is itching to move to Atlanta, and I am beginning to like that idea. Cheers.

You could cobble together a nice system, cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by IRG
    So, do you think then for $300, the center and AS-B2 is a good deal? (this was slightly used on ebay.) I''ve seen on eBay the AS-F1 for about $250 (new) and the center speaker for $125, about the same for the AS-1b. Otherwise from a store they are $179/pair, and $209 for the AS-2b, and $150 for the center.

I think the F2 would be too much for my room. I have read some good reviews about their subs, that's why I was curious. I value quality bass vs. quantity bass. I couldn't really play the sub too loud anyway, as it would wake up my kids most of the time. But with the bookshelves, this system will need something.

I'll get back to NJ eventually! Might have to make a quick trip to NYC, and then Salt Lake City next month. I really want to go to someplace warm. The wife is itching to move to Atlanta, and I am beginning to like that idea. Cheers.
    I agree about the F2's. But, if you figure on a sub to fill in the lows, then the Athena will do the job with the bookshelves quite nicely. ...probably with the F1 as well but somehow I think a better sub would be called for. The F1's do amazingly well on their own.

I'd suggest perhaps a pair of B2's and the C1 center up front, a pair of B1's in the rear and one of theur subs to round it out. ...either that, or you've seen my system link.

What receiver you lusting over now? The NAD is nice, very nice, but a bit pricey, IMNSHO.

I hear ya about moving. Mrs. w wants to move to Texas to be with the grandkids. Got a new one ariving in a few months. That will make two in Texas and two here in Jersey but the Jersey kids are older now and the Texas contingency is just getting started.

Gotta be Austin or San Antonio. Can't do Corpus. Nuttin' goin on there. No music stores. Even their B & N didn't sell music last June when we were there.

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    I agree about the F2's. But, if you figure on a sub to fill in the lows, then the Athena will do the job with the bookshelves quite nicely. ...probably with the F1 as well but somehow I think a better sub would be called for. The F1's do amazingly well on their own.

I'd suggest perhaps a pair of B2's and the C1 center up front, a pair of B1's in the rear and one of theur subs to round it out. ...either that, or you've seen my system link.

What receiver you lusting over now? The NAD is nice, very nice, but a bit pricey, IMNSHO.

I hear ya about moving. Mrs. w wants to move to Texas to be with the grandkids. Got a new one ariving in a few months. That will make two in Texas and two here in Jersey but the Jersey kids are older now and the Texas contingency is just getting started.

Gotta be Austin or San Antonio. Can't do Corpus. Nuttin' goin on there. No music stores. Even their B & N didn't sell music last June when we were there.
    I was just in Austin and Houston last month. Didn't get to see a lot, but what I did see, I think Austin would be a great place to move to. No state income tax either! I've also heard good things about San Antonio. Austin was bigger than I thought. I had a nice visit at the Austin Country Club. How the other half lives!

I am still thinking about the NAD receiver. Trading in my equipment seems a lot easier than trying to sell online. Or I'm just lazy. I also have a Denon dealer nearby (he sells the Energy stuff) but they aren't cheap either. Something about the NAD I just like. But I gotta hear it first. Hopefully this weekend some time.

I am still debating about the Athenas, and the PSB Alpha line. Seem comparable, with the PSB just a little more in cash. The NAD dealer sells them too, so hopefully I will get a chance to hear them as well. Then I can decided about whether to keep the Energys or not. The saga continues.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Just to mention that Energy is ownred by the same group that owns Athena -- McLaren or something like that??

AR Newbie Registered Member
    i think it's API that owns those companies? Audio Products International

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by beatdownvictim
    i think it's API that owns those companies? Audio Products International
    Yeah, I think you ar right. They have Athena, Energy and Mirage I believe. A lot of good Canadian companies out there.

Forum Regular

Talking Very happy with the Athena ASB2s and ASC1

I am very happy with the the ASB2 and ASC1-for the money you simply cant beat it. They look great, gold binding posts-and ofcourse I held them up against erveything in and above thier price range (Yam,JBL Polk, Bose-yuck) The energy C1s are coming down in price now, I am considering using those for my rears. I wasent overly inmpressed with the ASB1s so you might want to preview those closely. Energy/Mirarge and Athena are made by the same company-so Im hoping the smaller energies will match well with the Athena L/C/R. I also have an Athena Sub 8 which I bought new for $149Cdn. to be honest i wished I held out for an energy Sub ~450-something to consider.
    Good luck
    dan

Thread Information