Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Surprise new addition to the HT family...and input needed

I was quite shocked to come home last night, have dinner, then head downstairs to my HT room only to find a shiny new 51" RPTV. If anyone cares it's a Toshiba...
    I don't know what in the blue hell ever possessed the soon-to-be wife to pull this off all by herself, but I'm not exactly complaining. It's quite an upgrade from the 6 year old 32" TV we had.
    Normally, I would have liked to have been consulted in the process, but I think she did fairly well all things considered...we have 3 relatives with this same unit (well, two are last year's model), no complainst so far. I know the Toshiba's have had problems with the convergence (a friend of mine who sells Hitachis and Sonys claims this is an industry wide phenomenon, guess they don't build'em like they use to), but she was smart enough to buy a 4 year extended warranty.
    I'm still a bit shocked because usually I get chewed out for spending money on this stuff...Anyhoo.

Now, this bumps my plans for a new "universal DVD" player up considerably on the priorities list, as my old DVD player isn't a progressive scan unit (not sure that matters, but whatever). For the time being, I'm only interested in a cheapo unit (we're talking roughly $200 USD). I expect to buy a better one in a few months. Any recommendations?

I was thinking of the Toshiba SD-4960 at $112. The new Pioneer model is out as I've just heard way too many problems with it...might try to find an old 563a though.
    Anything else worth wasting my money on?

Can't wait to go home tonight...I'm just sure there'll be a shiny new Bryston waiting for me....

"Anything else worth wasting my money on?"

Uh... yeah. Something really nice for that lady of yours. Maybe a nice, romantic dinner at least? I'd say she deserves it.

Yeah, already taking care of the "romantic indulgences"...

Something isn't right about this...Usually she's all anti-a/v and pro-Trading Spaces when it comes to disposable income...I can't help but wonder if she's dented the car or something...

Forum Regular
    Swing by BestBuy or where ever she bought it and see how
    good looking the salesman was.......

(This from a guy who's wife let him buy theater chairs....)
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    7 OutlawAudio M-200 monoblocks
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    Infinity IL-10 Back Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

I think you've given every married, audiophile man new hope. That's so awesome: congrats on your new acquisition. Now as for your inquiry, I've said it before and I'll say it again, JVC makes a damn good budget DVD player. Check 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Yeah, already taking care of the "romantic indulgences"...

Something isn't right about this...Usually she's all anti-a/v and pro-Trading Spaces when it comes to disposable income...I can't help but wonder if she's dented the car or something...

Cool Yur bride to be got any sisters?

Man, now THAT's what I call a woman. My ole lady still hasn't figured out how to go from TV to DVD on the main system downstairs. I won't say she's a luddite, but lets just call her "technically electronically challenged". Unless you find a mink coat under the bed... you're one lucky man...

Da Worfster

Nicely done! Any wife that surprises her man with a big screen is a definite keeper!

I just read in the TAS recommended components that the Bravo D2 dvd player incorporates some insane scaler that they claim makes the player an amazing Bargain. I think it streets around $200. You might check into it.

Just out of curiosity, why are you buying a dvd player now if you plan on buying a universal in a couple of months. Why not just wait?

Wow! Quite a welcome surprise for sure! Might want to check the jewelry box for any ancillary purchases that your better half might have made around the same time.

For budget DVD players, I've been most impressed with the Toshibas and the Pannys. Progressive scan with a HDTV is a huge benefit because the motion just looks more realistic and stable.

Last week, my wife and I met with our financial planner, and wound up moving a lot of our funds into brokerage and retirement accounts, so it looks like I won't be "the next kex" anytime soon! My wife squashed the RPTV idea a long time ago, so I'm still on the sidelines waiting for flat screen prices to go down, or for the cobwebs in the corner to grow, whichever comes first!

Anyway, congrats on the unexpected find and keep us posted on how it all comes together.

Topspeed - my 5 year old Panny finally crapped out on me, and I've been using (don't laugh) a borrowed Sears brand DVD player for a month or two now...Been on the road soooo much that it wasn't an issue, and the 32" TV was fairly forgiving. I've always been more audio than video (perhaps until now) and I thought I could live with it...

Now for the shocker...
    I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT HDTV, DVI, HDMI, Faroujda, 1080i p's, etc, but I've been told a progressive scan is the least I should have.

I have my eyes on Pioneer Elite, Denon, and Yamaha universals, probably grab one in May or June if my coin jar keeps filling at this rate (Canada has $2 coins, makes saving for a/v gear faster)...this DVD player is just for the short-term, to be delegated to the new secondary system (32" in the bedroom). I'll splurge for the universal because I've got over a dozen SACD/DVD-A's waiting for me to buy a player.

Wooch: You might not be waiting as long as you thought. One of my co-workers just met with LG (we have a large position with LG in our portfolio) and apparently they expect to flood the market with cheap TV's later this year in a bid to grab market share and push out the soft players...I don't know what TV's LG makes, but I'm sure this will impact flat screens etc too.
    (Legal disclaimer: The above information is public knowledge disseminated freely by LG and in no way am I divulging market secrets...nor can I verify the accuracy of this claim. Kexodusc offers no guarantee or even a guess as to share price of LG shares either now or in the future...please don't go after my charter).

Forum Regular
    I was quite shocked to come home last night, have dinner, then head downstairs to my HT room only to find a shiny new 51" RPTV. If anyone cares it's a Toshiba...
    I don't know what in the blue hell ever possessed the soon-to-be wife to pull this off all by herself, but I'm not exactly complaining. It's quite an upgrade from the 6 year old 32" TV we had.
    Normally, I would have liked to have been consulted in the process, but I think she did fairly well all things considered...we have 3 relatives with this same unit (well, two are last year's model), no complainst so far. I know the Toshiba's have had problems with the convergence (a friend of mine who sells Hitachis and Sonys claims this is an industry wide phenomenon, guess they don't build'em like they use to), but she was smart enough to buy a 4 year extended warranty.
    I'm still a bit shocked because usually I get chewed out for spending money on this stuff...Anyhoo.

Now, this bumps my plans for a new "universal DVD" player up considerably on the priorities list, as my old DVD player isn't a progressive scan unit (not sure that matters, but whatever). For the time being, I'm only interested in a cheapo unit (we're talking roughly $200 USD). I expect to buy a better one in a few months. Any recommendations?

I was thinking of the Toshiba SD-4960 at $112. The new Pioneer model is out as I've just heard way too many problems with it...might try to find an old 563a though.

Can't wait to go home tonight...I'm just sure there'll be a shiny new Bryston waiting for me....
    This story's making me all misty eyed! Now that's true love, Brudda! Congrats! For what it's worth, I've got a 563a and love it.

Q

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

You picked the right girl dude!

I don't see anything wrong with the Toshiba SD-4960. If it's usable from the Toshiba TV remote more is the better. I use a unit with the same 10bit/54khz video resolution and it works great. DVD-Audio is killer too!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information