Thread: Which Reciever

Which Reciever

Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX -- $700
    Denon AVR-2805 -- $769
    Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX -- $849
    Denon AVR-3805 -- $995
    (I am trying to stay under $1000)

Right now I am leaning towards the 54TX, I see the only review on this site is poor due to problems recording dvd's... I was hoping someone could give another opinion on this unit compared to the others I have listed...

this system will be mostly ht, but also will play music (probably 60/40 ht/music)

the speakers I have decided upon for fronts are focal jmlab chorus 716 s.
    the center and surrounds will also most likely be from the chorus s line as well, but I have not decided if I want the 716's for surround, or if I am going to use one of their their smaller sets.

thanks for any advice,
    Mike

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    What are your needs now, and in 2 or 3 years? I'd say go with the cheapest receiver that satisfies those needs (including sound). I'm doubtful these will sound much different from one another, and they're all pretty good models, unless you've got a good reason to spend more money, don't.
    You can expect the Elite's to have more power with all channels driven than the Denon's, but unless your speakers are really power-hungry, it won't make much difference.

Thanks for the info,

I am looking for a system that will last several years before I upgrade again.
    I have been to several audio stores, several of which carried all 4 of the listed recievers...
    some of the stores suggested the elite over the denon's, where as the others would suggest the denon's over elite's...

thanks,
    Mike

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'm starting like Pioneer's stuff more and more. Never really paid much attention to them in the past. I would take store suggestions with a grain of salt. It's possible (and very likely) that there's a bias behind each salesperson's recommendation, rather than a legitimate reason.

If there was one, true, best receiver, I'm pretty sure we'd all know what it is by now, and everyone would have the same receiver. That isn't the case.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I run a pair of Pioneer recievers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    Denon AVR-2805 -- $769
    Denon AVR-3805 -- $995

Right now I am leaning towards the 54TX, I see the only review on this site is poor due to problems recording dvd's... I was hoping someone could give another opinion on this unit compared to the others I have listed...

this system will be mostly ht, but also will play music (probably 60/40 ht/music)

the speakers I have decided upon for fronts are focal jmlab chorus 716 s.
    the center and surrounds will also most likely be from the chorus s line as well, but I have not decided if I want the 716's for surround, or if I am going to use one of their their smaller sets.

thanks for any advice,
    Mike
    And I've yet to have a problem. That being said, Denon makes some pretty good receivers along with Yamaha, and Harmon Kardon. I'm not familiar with your speakers but I know form my own experiance that the Pioneer Elites WILL handle 4 ohm speakers with no problem.

As to your other question about speakers;

The ONLY reason I would choose for going with matched speakers for mains & surrounds is for multi-channel audio. If that's what your putting this system together for then I would consider it. It is absolutly NOT nessasary for Home Theather.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I know form my own experiance that the Pioneer Elites WILL handle 4 ohm speakers with no problem.
    a friend said the same thing... this was one of the reasons I am leaning towards the 54

The ONLY reason I would choose for going with matched speakers for mains & surrounds is for multi-channel audio. If that's what your putting this system together for then I would consider it. It is absolutly NOT nessasary for Home Theather.
    Thankyou as I was not sure about this...
    I will mostlikely get a smaller set for surrounds (chorus 706 s)... if I want to upgrade in the future, I can always use the 706's on my computer

Denon AVR-2805 -- $769
    Denon AVR-3805 -- $995
    adding to the list:
    Integra DTR-5.5 -- $699
    Integra DTR-6.5 -- $999

Thread Information